More Cold Steel Panic Buying...

Just ordered a 54" Sjambok and a Heavy Duty Sword Cane just because I've always wanted them but never got around to ordering them. And also just recently I bought 4 Battle Stars and a Templar and a Black Fly. I am missing Cold Steel and Lynn after collecting his products since the 1980's. I'd like a Natchez Bowie but I have reservations about the cable tang construction. So sad...

Not a panic buy but per se, but I’m patiently waiting for the Recon 1 (Spearpoint) to drop in price. If so, I’ll scoop one up. That will be it for me. I purchased the Clip and Tanto points earlier this year and neither has the new CS logo. So I’m guessing they were manufactured before the acquisition. Both are rock solid and the Spearpoint will finish my collection.

Yup, there's no doubt that Lynn Thompson selling off his Cold Steel Company, kicked me into gear with me buying a bunch of Cold Steel hardware.

As a matter of fact, I just ordered another one today, a Master Tanto in San Mai, (now Taiwan made, of course).

I'm getting them while the getting is still pretty good, (in price and availability).

A couple of my other CS product orders are backordered, but hoping that they will eventually become actual realities.

Lynn Thompson amassed a huge list of bold products. He never showed fear in moving forward with his ideas, and I'm having fun acquiring some of those goods for inclusion into my personal collection of eclectic items 😊

PS.
I have mentioned an observation of mine recently on this forum, and that is, that current CS vendor prices are more all over the board than usual.

Why do I believe this is so?... Well, maybe wholesale price increases have come down the pike already on the vendors. If so, and as new inventory comes in from CS, the vendors are making their adjustments in their own pricing of these goods.
Also, maybe the current high demand/product shortages, are having vendors realizing that it's a seller's market right now, and the increases are because they feel the market bears them. And, if they feel that the hold ups/shipping delays/possible discontinuance of products, will be making their replenishment of their products difficult to impossible, they would likely increase their prices to reflect that.
Of course there's the obvious hovering concern about which way GSM will be handling their recently purchased Cold Steel firm, and just plain ole inflation that seems to be happening across the board.
With that all said, and matter what the reason(s) for this all over the place pricing, it does make for a situation where one should be that much more willing to price compare if getting a good price is a concern. I would guess that most of us want to make sure we pay a fair current market price, and not fall prey to possible price gouging.

Again, good luck to all of you seeking out some Cold Steel toys 👍😁👍

Last edited:
Some of the CS purchases I've made since finding out the company was under new ownership, were made for one of the following reasons...

1. I believed that there could be a 50/50 chance that the new GSM ownership would go politically correct with their offerings, cutting out what may be seen too much as weapon specific products.

2. I simply wanted to grab some items that were a bit out of the norm for knife makers, and getting them now was a mission for me, just in case these more odd type items went away in CS's offerings. A few examples of some of these items I picked up for this reason were the Cinquedea, Polish Sword, Rondel Dagger, and another 1917 Frontier Bowie.

What do I think now, now that many months have passed?... Well, I think, (at least for now), the idea that GSM would likely move away from politically incorrect weapon specific knives, is no longer a concern of mine. They have continued making videos that seem to clearly send a message that CS is not giving up on a genre of products that has done well in establishing the brand. This tells me, (at least for now), that CS is not planning on gutting it's foundation.

As for the the fringe exotic stuff, much of them being made in India, (like some swords, rondel daggers, and huge Frontier Bowie type products)... I'm still wondering if GSM will be holding onto much of that sort of stuff.

In any case, it's been fun doing my CS "panic buying", and no matter what direction GSM takes Cold Steel in, I surely do not regret adding my 2021 CS purchases into my collection. We can't take our material purchases with us when we die, but we can surely enjoy them in whatever way(s) we enjoy them while we live 👍😊👍

PS.
What do I think we have to look out for in 2022?...

Well, a possible cut/discontinuance of many of CS's products.

Maybe a whole new selection of new products.

And, a possible changing of materials, quality, and countries of origin.

Until those unknowns possibly come into play, we still have this year's catalog offerings on the table, (except for those that have not been released yet), to buy from, they pretty much being what is considered to be the last of the "Old Steel" line up 😁

Last edited:
My CS Heavy Duty Sword Cane arrived today, complete with the new CS logo. I have to say, I love it! Absolutely no rattle, and the blade is sharp enough to cut paper. It is a perfect, secure fit in the sheath, and I intend to lube the O-rings tomorrow. After sitting on the fence for years, I'm really glad that I got it. Oh, and yesterday I broke down and ordered a Wild West Bowie and a couple more Battle Stars. For those of you who like to throw knives, the Battle Stars hit like a freight train and stick every time. I didn't like the QC on the first WW Bowie when it first came out and I returned it, but I thought I'd give it a second chance. Life is good!

Received my CS Wild West Bowie today, I like it much better than the first one that I bought and returned when they first came out. It's not super sharp, but with a little work it should be. At least the guard is not loose and the grind is acceptable. The sheath is very nice. I just wish CS had marked the tang with something inconspicuous to identify the knife, even the box is unmarked save for a tiny sticker at the end. I think I will keep it!

Also just in is the CS Katana Machete. I am very impressed, and it is quite sharp and well-balanced. And two CS Battle Stars to round out the order.

Last edited:
O panicked ordered a Boar Spear last January after the news of the company being sold broke. I had wanted one since the 90's, I have no buyer's remorse even if all I ever do is look at it. But, I have these pumpkins laying around the property...

My 54" Cold Steel Sjambok got delivered today, now I have all three sizes. Years ago they made a short one with a red plastic handle. And my Pocket Bushman is missing in action; USPS delivered it to a local post office in another part of the state, I may never see it...

Back