Mosaic d guard bowie wip ALL DONE

Hello Keith!

Great and very enjoyable WIP so far! I really like the guard and am curious to see how it all comes together in the end!

Best regards,
Alex

Time to make the screw on the lathe.

Drill and tap the thread, 5 mm if you are wondering.

Check fit

Its ok its not really going to be that long

After I have the shape machined out time to do some polishing.

Make a spacer out of sterling silver

Now I have to drill the holes for the alignment pins. I have the pins in the handle and I give them a touch with some nail polish then slide the handle down onto the spacer to leave witness marks so I can drill the holes. Sorry for the crappy photo.

Bit of final fitting and some polishing going on, then I can etch the fittings in the magic revealo juice. Here is the guard having a bath.

One last polish on everything and I can glue it all up. I'm just waiting for the epoxy to cure and I can take some pics of it.
Cheers Keith

this is a great virtual tour already, Keith. I real beer-in-hand tour would be awesome, but I really doubt my ability to get to Aus any time soon :( Hell, I can't even seem to get myself to Atlanta!

this is a great virtual tour already, Keith. I real beer-in-hand tour would be awesome, but I really doubt my ability to get to Aus any time soon :( Hell, I can't even seem to get myself to Atlanta!

Know the feeling well. I'll see what I can do. I'll have to sweep out all the dust from the corners :eek:
Cheers Keith

Okay, okay I can't keep you all in suspenders for to long.
Again sorry for the lack of quality on the pics. We just don't have the genius photographers Like Coop, Caleb Royer to name but 2 down here. Well not that I've found anyway.
I've called this one HAVOC, cause I reckon it would!

Specs.

Blade length, 14 ", 355mm.
Overall Length, 20", 545mm.
Clip, 8",204mm. Sharp, 4",102mm.
Thickness at the ricasso. .2830, 7.19mm.
Width, 1 3/4", 45mm.
Multi bar Mosaic damascus blade and fittings.
Sterling Silver spacer.
Ancient Walrus tusk handle.

Thanks for your encouraging words during the build everyone. Comments always welcome. Just need to make it some pants to wear and sharpen it up. If only we had a Paul Long as well down here, now that would be sweet. Thanks again.
Cheers Keith

Last edited:
Keith, you really are a crafty old coot!! (I say that with the utmost respect :D )

Cheers....Pete

Keith thanks for taking the time to show your processes it looks like you have a very nice shop and your D Guard came out great. Nice WIP

Very nice WIP Keith. I really like how the knife turned out. Great overall lines and nice materials. Looks like you've made a hundred of these D guards. :)

Keith,

Thanks for showing the build !
Cheers, mate.
What a great looking D-Guard..:thumbup:

Doug

Fantastic D guard Keith, cool WIP with a beautful end result. Doesn't get any better then that.

Bill

Back