Most comfortable FB Handle

Which handle (of which FB) would you consider to be the one that you find most comfortable?
Preferably in use, as opposed to simply 'playing with' :)

I picked up a SOG Field Pup 1 last year and really like the handle grip. The handle on the field pup looks so 'clunky' but it really works (for me) Modded the thumb ramp a little for more comfort, but all in all this is a really nice comfortable (and dirt cheap) user.

Not sure why it did not get more press tbh. (?)

This year I decided to pick up the SOG Seal Pup Elite. Love the blade shape; not so much the handle tho.

The Tarava Jääkäripuukko also has a really nice handle to grip, as does the CS master hunter.
Really like the Becker BK16 micarta handle too.

Soooooo….. many choices.

Maybe I should have asked what the most *uncomfortable* handle was (lol)

If this was a motor/super bike question, my honda vfr800 would win hands down on comfort.

I could ride that thing all day and not suffer any ill effects at all. Bliss. (unlike the 1000cc fireblade - which was a joy at 100mph but simply killing on your wrists around town)

So, which handle do you have that would be comparable to my bike analogy :)

utK9FY3.jpg

Love this one a knifemaker friend of mine Chris Cody made when he was just starting out. NAILED the handle. Incredibly comfortable.

For all day use, probably the Buck 119 special.
It's not my favorite handle when I think about it, but it just plain works.

I could chose another based on handle alone, but this one's got it as an overall knife package.

Last edited:
Which handle (of which FB) would you consider to be the one that you find most comfortable?
Preferably in use, as opposed to simply 'playing with' :)

I picked up a SOG Field Pup 1 last year and really like the handle grip. The handle on the field pup looks so 'clunky' but it really works (for me) Modded the thumb ramp a little for more comfort, but all in all this is a really nice comfortable (and dirt cheap) user.

Not sure why it did not get more press tbh. (?)

This year I decided to pick up the SOG Seal Pup Elite. Love the blade shape; not so much the handle tho.

The Tarava Jääkäripuukko also has a really nice handle to grip, as does the CS master hunter.
Really like the Becker BK16 micarta handle too.

Soooooo….. many choices.

Maybe I should have asked what the most *uncomfortable* handle was (lol)

If this was a motor/super bike question, my honda vfr800 would win hands down on comfort.

I could ride that thing all day and not suffer any ill effects at all. Bliss. (unlike the 1000cc fireblade - which was a joy at 100mph but simply killing on your wrists around town)

So, which handle do you have that would be comparable to my bike analogy :)

Depends on the size of the knife. For example the most comfortable handle on a big chopping knife may not be comfortable on a smaller edc fixed blade or whatever. Some people who train with fighting knives may find certain handle styles are more comfortable for what they want.

That said the Spyderco Street Beat is the most comfortable handle on any fixed blade I own. It is simple but effectice and offers great protection. It is comfortable in many different grips too.

FB15P.jpg

I find the Carothers Field knife and Survive! knives GSO 4.7 to be extremely comfortable! As well and the Carothers EDC2 and Survive!'s old spec GSO 7/7.
On the lower priced blades, I have 3 Real steel fixed blades and they all fit MY hand very well!
I agree with you about the Tarava Jääkäripuukko. It is very comfy.
Busse knives ResC handles are great.
I have a handful of knives from Gollik knives, all of them fit my hand perfectly!

I think it's the simplicity of these handles that do it for me. There are other handles/knives that I like short term, but then become tiresome... most notably, my Busse FBM (BG), but that might have to do with the weight of the knife as well.

Becker tweener handle is far and away the most intuitive and comfortable handle of any knife I own, fixed or folding.

IMG_4361.JPG

The single best handle I've found on any knife, bar none, is on the Friedrich Dick ErgoGrip series of butchering/meat-cutting knives. Incredibly comfortable for extended use in a wide range of hand holds.

I think it's the simplicity of these handles that do it for me. There are other handles/knives that I like short term, but then become tiresome... most notably, my Busse FBM (BG), but that might have to do with the weight of the knife as well.

Agreed. I think that the ergos of a handle that

1) Has a relatively straight "spine"; and
2) Maintains a relatively constant width along its length

cannot be underestimated. I know handles that look like a lump if squeezed clay (bent, rapidly tapering towards the butt) are popular and would appear to be ergonomically correct....but I don't think they are are.

Look at the classics, Loveless drop point hunter, Scagels, your Randall, the Buck shown above, chef's knives, Green Rivers, even a Sebenza. Straight, consistent width.

Ergonomics in handles can be essentially lumped into two major types: generalized or specific. Specific grips are the sort with lots of contours that basically make one form of hold very comfortable, but holding it any other way a nightmare. Generalized grips have smoother forms that are able to be held in a wide range of grips comfortably, but typically at the expense of comfort in any specific hold as compared to a specific-type grip.

Ergonomics in handles can be essentially lumped into two major types: generalized or specific. Specific grips are the sort with lots of contours that basically make one form of hold very comfortable, but holding it any other way a nightmare. Generalized grips have smoother forms that are able to be held in a wide range of grips comfortably, but typically at the expense of comfort in any specific hold as compared to a specific-type grip.

I just looked at those and especially like that the handle and blade join at an angle on some of them. That looks like it would really be nice. Probably would keep the wrist joint straight. They are nice.

I just looked at those and especially like that the handle and blade join at an angle on some of them. That looks like it would really be nice. Probably would keep the wrist joint straight. They are nice.

Yup! Works great in pinch, hammer, and thumb-supported grips, edge-towards-self, icepick, thumb-supported icepick, thumb-on-flat, and really just about any other method of holding 'em I can think of. They're pretty much the ideal generalized grip in my opinion. The very small bird's-beak on the end of the handle is nice and open so folks with large hands don't feel "choked" but it still provides some extra security. It's a great design.

Back