Most comfortable FB Handle

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by joe90, Jun 1, 2018.

1. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    You are spot on with that assumption, I saw the opening and I just couldn't stop myself. I think that says a lot more about me than the knife..

All kidding aside, it's purpose built to be comfortable for hours of work. Butchers are one of the very few people in the world that have a knife in hand for 8-12 hours straight. If you want comfort, look at any butcher's knife.

Pomsbz, FortyTwoBlades and marcinek like this.
  2. Dagaros

Dagaros

Oct 24, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Only photo I had of it on my phone sadly. But Fiddleback Forge, some of the best handle ergonomics I have ever felt. Just perfect.

Nbrackett likes this.
  3. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Pomsbz likes this.
  4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I've got their mini Russell lockback and the ergonomics are amazing.
    My favorite handles are very neutral ones because my hands are picky I guess, but there are a few sculpted or " ergonomically shaped " that my hands do like.

Finger grooves handles generally don't work for me as it limits how you can hold them.
    The 119 works but I'd change the handle shape if I could.

5. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    My SurviveKnives GSO series are grips that I really like...the 2.7, the 3.5 and the larger 4.1.

6. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    ^ yeah the new spec 4.1 is quite comfy!

7. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    Nice. They look a lot better than the cheap crap I use at work.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  8. TrainedBullets

TrainedBullets Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2017
    I’ll second the Fiddleback Forge Sneaky Pete. By far the most comfortable handle of any knife I’ve ever used.

9. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Plus one for the Spyderco Street Beat : a very ergonomic handle !
    Now, these would be the most ergonomically handled knives I have :
    In the contoured style (very pleasant) :

[​IMG]
    In the "simple, down to earth, classic" style (very, very pleasant... and versatile) :
    [​IMG]
    And the simplest, comfortable and most versatile of all (at least for my hands...) :
    [​IMG]

I would add that the "chestnut" or "D shaped" handle of the classic japanese kitchen knives is definitely awesome, too. Imagine the Mora Classic handle with the left side slightly flatter and the right side with a little ridge lengthside (for right handers). The knife sits wonderfully in hand and you always feel how it's oriented. Brilliant.

10. Bouley85

Bouley85

Mar 21, 2018
    who is the maker of the middle knife, i really like how simple and elegant

11. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I agree the Mora handle is great!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

ATJ999 and 19-3ben like this.
  12. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    I really like the LT Wright Genesis’ “broom stick” handle. Really comfortable during prolonged use.

Pomsbz likes this.
  13. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    That's my EDC, a little slicer by Dalibor Seckar / Daado on BladeForum's Knife Makers forum. His knives are beautifully simple and extremely efficient. He makes many types from cleaver to butcher, chopper, slicer and skinner. I have a whole set of them, they are a joy to use (and so nice, I can just look at them...)

Here is the kitchen set (the smallest is the EDC, so non-kitchen as it is) but a skinner has been added in the meantime (does great at fine hacking fresh herbs...)

[​IMG]

FOG2 and Deinos like this.
  14. Man with no name

Man with no name

Jun 24, 2015
    I find the kraton handle on Cold Steel's Tai Pan and Magnum Tanto to be super comfortable.

15. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    This. The most comfortable handles on any of my knives are those on my Victorinox kitchen knives.

16. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    When I read "FB", I thought "Fiddleback". When you ask what "fixed blade" has the most comfortable handle, I though "Fiddleback":D

Andy's work has to be felt to appreciate. I have a Woodman model made by him nearly 10 years back that is still by far the most comfortable knife to hold in my collection of hundreds.

17. joe90

joe90

Aug 17, 2001
    I totally forgot about the Mora's. Yes indeed - I'd also pull those into my most comfortable group too!: 2000; Companion, Black, etc

18. gmarthur

gmarthur

Mar 5, 2007
    Spyderco Bushcraft handle is great also. I've got one of the $99 cracked spalted handle versions that took 15 minutes and a few drops of super glue to fix. I've used this knife in the woods for for hours a day and still find it comfortable.

- Greg

19. Spirch

Spirch

Apr 4, 2012
    Any res-c handle seem perfect so far

20. microbe

microbe

Apr 6, 2016
    No matter how comfortable a grip is, doing heavy work with tools for hours will sooner or later get you hot spots and blisters. You need to grow some callus on your hands and man up.