Most comfortable handle shape?

Can you tell me which handle shape is the most comfortable and useful for you? Examples of knives and pictures are welcome.

I'm planning on making a knife, and I haven't yet figured out what handle shape I'll use.

Paramilitary 2 is right up these...not to thin nor too beefy...ergo is just to loose most jimping on the belly side...
IMG_1014_zps5cc9b676.jpg

You see the Manix have very similar ergos
IMG_0822_zps912b42ed.jpg

BM griptilian is solid...the full size is actually beefy than I would imagine because most grips is know for the mini series..here's a full size 553
IMG_0735_zps648c557e.jpg

IMG_0729_zps584fd12d.jpg

I just love the texture and jimping on the GRIPS...feel very secure...grippy

from paulberreta.com
2000_spyderco_forum_military.jpg

the rounded knobs at top and bottom and the generous palm swell in the middle is the universal utility knife handle. it gives you a positive centered grip, strong enough to chop, and allows one to choke up or down depending on the use. even as a fighting knife it is not lacking. you can apply the hammer or reverse grip well enough. you find this design on machetes, kitchen knives, productution and custom knives, even grassroots knife makers and users in third world farming and gathering areas.

What kind of knife are you planning to make. Fixed of folder? What size or purpose?

Fixed blade - new busse machined scales. They really invelop your hand.

Folder - pm2, outstanding ergos.

I'll be make the handle for a fixed blade. I can't make the blade myself.

in before Niner
sod busters and barlows are very comfortable.
Spyderco Manix isn't too bad.:)

Oohhhh real funny:D

I'd have to say the handle shape of the crkt summa has the best ergos of any knife I own or have handled.

image.jpg

Click for big pic.

-niner

For what use? Cutting or chopping? Form follows function.

How about the "fishbelly" or oval shapes in traditional Scandinavian/puukko knives? Fills the hand naturally without needing to clench, which means more comfort & control during long-term use. Grips with Oval cross-sections are more comfortable than small or flat designs like in the folders above. The more a grip fills the contour of your hand naturally, the more you don't need to compensate by grasping harder -this decreases fatigue and accidents during lengthy use or when working in low light or harsh conditions.

kellams1b.jpg

VeikoHakkarainen-KullervoKnife00-1.jpg

If you really want to make a usin' knife, study traditional designs, not current "tactical" ones. Traditional knives have evolved over hundreds (thousands) of years by necessity.

I was going to post this one myself. The CQC-8/Horseman is definitely the most ergonomic knife I've ever held. The deep index finger choil locks your hand in while the downwards sloping tail of the handle makes it more natural during use. It has to be held to believe just how "locked in" (a cliche, I know) your hand feels. It's also perfect in reverse grip.

I like simple smooth handles that accommodate a variety of different grips without causing hotspots. I also like to have some sort of taper or swell that prevents slippage.

Back