Most efficient SAK

Gold Member
I was sitting around tonight looking at a couple of my Swiss Army knives and thinking how efficient the Lumberjack or Walker is, given the few tools it has. A blade, saw and then the one tool I truly believe makes it work. A can/bottle opener that can handle both flat and Phillips screws. If you could throw in an awl somewhere you really wouldn’t need much else. I know there are SAK’s that offer more tools but this one truly is pretty effective.

A6-E3-CAA3-648-A-436-E-96-C7-F48-DCE9-BC641.jpg

The Alox Farmer is my favorite SAK ... I have a few and generally carry it along with a modern folder ...

Has the blade ... the saw ... an opener ... and the awl ... I use the awl and the saw blade alot more then I even thought I would.

The Alox Farmer is my favorite SAK ... I have a few and generally carry it along with a modern folder ...

Has the blade ... the saw ... an opener ... and the awl ... I use the awl and the saw blade alot more then I even thought I would.

Yup, the Farmer definitely has it covered. But if you replaced the two tools, can and bottle opener, with one like the Lumberjack has, what else could you add that would increase its usefulness? A magnifying glass perhaps? Just thinking about as few tools as possible.

For my usual daily needs, the Compact is pretty efficient. Every tool sees regular use (even though just the file on the hook). I occasionally pine for an awl or secondary blade, but when I'm being honest with myself, I manage to get by without them. Probably why with the exception of a brief fling with a Pioneer X a couple months ago, the Compact can always be found in my front right pocket :)

I think efficiency is a pretty broad term here, but it’s terms of all the tools being used, I’d argue the Classic SD is pretty close to the best. Highly practical, minimalistic, great for small fixes. It won’t replace your full size edc folder, but it’s a great secondary knife​

While it may carry form person to person, for me the most efficient SAK sone with minimum bulk and maximum tool capability.Or, to phrase of in my my; maximum minimalism.

I'd say about 7 or 8 times out of 10 when I reach for my SAK, its because I need a pocket knife to cut something. Maybe like 80 or 90%. A single digit amount of times, its because I need a screw driver. A single digit amount of times I need a bottle opener/poking tool/light pry tool. And a single digit amount of time I need a scissors. A fraction of one percent of the time I need a can opener.

I've got by without a SAK a lot of times by having a Sear's 4-way keychain screw diver in my wallet. The keychain screw driver got me by as it did for my dad. But a SAK is a nicer way to that end. For me, the most efficient SAK is then and two layer ones like a recruit/cadet/pioneer, and the smaller 58mm like the classic. I've cut stuff with a classic, dealt with flat and phillis screws with a classic, fixed stuff out places with a classic, opened a cold brew with a classic, and its soooo damm tiny it fits on a keyring with room to spare.

The great beauty of the majority of SAK tools is, they are good for uses far more than they were designed for. Like the can opener is a great staple remover, and trailer ball hitch cotter pin remover. It can lift the coffee pot or stew pot off a camp fire. The awl on a pioneer is a great scribe for scratching something like a number onto something, stripping off some insulation from a wire for a electrical repair, making a starter hole for wood screws on a Harry Homeowner shelf project. Each SAK tool has many multi uses.

For me the most efficient are the basic two layer SAK's. Teamng up a pioneer with a classic is a great duo.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="jackknife, post: For me the most efficient are the basic two layer SAK's. Teamng up a pioneer with a classic is a great duo.

Amen to that good sir!

Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's funny how often a dynamic duo gets it done. Like it takes two of something to be great.

There's Batman and Robin.

Lone Ranger and Tonto.

Holmes and Watson.

Wyatt and Doc.

Bacon and eggs.

Beans and franks.

Coffee and doughnut.

Wow, this could be the start of a whole other thread of show your two favorite SAK combos.:D

I think efficiency is a pretty broad term here, but it’s terms of all the tools being used, I’d argue the Classic SD is pretty close to the best. Highly practical, minimalistic, great for small fixes. It won’t replace your full size edc folder, but it’s a great secondary knife​

I agree about the classic and I have one on several key rings, but I still only consider it a key ring knife vs a pocket knife (I just made that upo_O). I was thinking more inline with what would be a practical pocket knife. I know the Rambler has a little more to offer and the mini champ might really be the ticket, but I’ve never messed with one.

Combo tool would be even more combo-ish if they added a file finish to one side of it. Not all the way to the tip, but just enough to be useful.
. I really like that idea. Perhaps even on the main blade the way some of the older German Army Knives had a file on the saw blade. It’d be interesting to see.

For my personal tastes, the Electrician is 100% tools I need and 0% tools I don't: spear blade, small sheepsfoot blade, awl, bottle opener/screwdriver/pry. Such a great mix.

I know the Rambler has a little more to offer and the mini champ might really be the ticket, but I’ve never messed with one.

It's only barely thicker than the Classic (one "thin" tool layer), but in exchange the Rambler packs my single favorite small SAK tool: the inline combo Phillips screwdriver/bottle opener/wire stripper. I don't think I could carry a Classic SD without wondering why it wasn't a Rambler. :eek:

I agree about the classic and I have one on several key rings, but I still only consider it a key ring knife vs a pocket knife (I just made that upo_O). I was thinking more inline with what would be a practical pocket knife. I know the Rambler has a little more to offer and the mini champ might really be the ticket, but I’ve never messed with one.

Ok I hear you. Most efficient “pocket knife” SAK? I’d argue for the Spartan. It gives you two good screwdrivers, a real bottle opener, and a full size blade. The small blade makes a great backup for when the main blade gets dull. I’m a fan of the corkscrew, its surprisingly multi functional.

As others have said, the pioneer is also a good candidate

My 3 most carried SAKs are Pioneer X, Super Tinker and Climber. For me, a SAK needs scissors or I won't even consider it. I think out of my 3 most carried, the Climber gets the edge. It's the same as the Super Tinker but substitutes a cork screw for the phillips driver. I like the cork screw for un-doing knots which I need to do more often than removing a screw.

I say it's extremely efficient to have tools stored in the knife's scales so in my mind an alox model will never be the most efficient.
My favorite will probably always be the recruit, but if you took an 84mm tinker and could add + scales to it with the pen and stuff it would probably be the most efficient model. If they make 84mm + scales.

I’d argue for the Spartan.

I have had a Small Tinker since 1989. I didn’t drink wine so I thought the Phillips would come in more handy than a corkscrew. It only took 29 years for me to figure out the can opener worked on Phillips head screws and a corkscrew can be used for other tasks. Especially holding the little eyeglass screwdriver for the 9 pairs of reading glasses I have stashed everywhereo_O I haven’t retired the Small Tinker but I carry a Spartan more often.

I have had a Small Tinker since 1989. I didn’t drink wine so I thought the Phillips would come in more handy than a corkscrew. It only took 29 years for me to figure out the can opener worked on Phillips head screws and a corkscrew can be used for other tasks. Especially holding the little eyeglass screwdriver for the 9 pairs of reading glasses I have stashed everywhereo_O I haven’t retired the Small Tinker but I carry a Spartan more often.

My favorite is the 84mm Tourist , which is just a small Spartan. LOVE that mini screwdriver in the corkscrew.

Back