Most efficient SAK

Two of my favorite quotes by Vernon Howard...
“Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.”
And
“You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need.”

I once was a real knife nut. I had a 'collection' of more than 50 knives, and my gun collection was pretty big as well. My the time I was in my 50's, I wasn't really using but a fraction of the stuff I had, and most of it was sitting around being coveted.

I'm to really sure what happened, but it was like a slow dawning, and then it was like coming-out of a some sort of temporary insanity and I looked at all the stuff and the thought camera into my mind, "What the hell am I doing with all this stuff?!"

First I sold off the custom stuff, like the Randall's and other custom fixed blades. Then I gave some the guns to the kids and grandkids that wanted. The nephews, nieces, co-workers and fiends all got stuff. What the family didn't want, got sold off or given away. The wife and I had went through our stuff and carefully selected what we really used and what really meant something to us. We'd accumulated a lot of crap that was impulse buys and got used for a bit then put away. That all went.

It was sooooo incredibly liberating that I don't know if I can accurately describe it. It was like a ball and chain got cut off our leg, or coming-out of a deep dark place and into daylight and fresh air again. Our possessions had owned us and we rebelled and found a freedom. We're not going there again. We have rule of not buying anything unless it's really needed, and if we don't use something for a year it's going. When we moved from Maryland to Texas in 2015, we did another really big downsize. We moved from a three bedroom two story place of 2600 square feet to a one level two bedroom 1600 square feet place in a warm climate where we don't need much winter clothing or any snow shovels.

My pocket knife 'accumulation' can be held in one hand, as can my handgun collection. A few nice specimens of each is good enough.

Simple is liberating.

I think that there is no definitive most efficient SAK. It all depends on the circumstances, needs of the user and environment. For example, a Farmer would be the perfect tool for me in a forest, while the Pioneer X is more suitable in a urban setting. Other times I carry a Alox Bantam to work, because it is "office friendly". This hollyday I brought a Ranger Wood 55 with me to Italy, which is a very good big knife for all kinds of chores and lives in my backpack. (mostly cutting Italian hot sausages)
I also carry a Classic Alox on my car key.

Last edited:
Two of my favorite quotes by Vernon Howard...
“Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.”
And
“You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need.”

Gurdygurds, I have never heard that quote before, and I thank you for it. It sums it all up sooooo perfectly. I'm going to put it on my refrigerator so I can see it every darn morning to remind me.

Thank you!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Camper has become my optimal SAK. I used to carry a different model/size depending on activity/environs but seemed to often forget to change out or needed something like the corkscrew or saw or even toothpick when I didn’t have that model on me. The Camper has most of what I frequently “missed”.

I do like the Alox models like the Farmer and Pioneer with the thicker blade but that toothpick is sure handy at times! :)

Back