1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Moving to Germany!

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by chrisk91, May 13, 2014.

1. chrisk91

chrisk91

Oct 14, 2013
    Hello Blade Forums!

I am moving to Germany in a week. I've decided on my legal carry rotation, a spyderco street beat and a spyderco ukpk. I have many other knives, these are just the easiest to carry of mine that are legal in Germany. I have to reach out to those that live in Germany with a question: can I ship knives from the US to Germany? Will things get caught up in customs? I plan to buy things and get them shipped to a friend's house, where he will ship them to me. Help BF! I have my eye on so many great knives coming out later in 2014 and beyond!

2. C_Becker

C_Becker

Oct 7, 2012
    Shouldn't have a problem with anything that is legal
    I've ordered knives from the Usa without problems
    Not sure if you'll have to pay though, I guess not since you are moving?

Where in Germany are you going to be?

3. quinque voces

quinque voces

Oct 18, 2005
    C-becker is right. Getting knives through customs usually is not a problem if the knives are not prohibited in Germany (e.g. balisongs, push daggers or automatic knives with blades larger than 8cm). Over the years I have ordered a lot of knives and even swords from the US and picked them up from customs without having to face more than a few nosy questions more motivated by personal interest than official policy. I paid the taxes and took my knives home.

Occasionally, however, you might meet the proverbial German bureaucrat who takes pride in making life hard for everybody including law-abing citizens. Then delivery might be delayed until the knives are cleared at a higher level of customs. I remember a case in which a customs officer declared a Brous Blade to be a push dagger - a prohibited item in Germany. It took the customer e few weeks to convince authorities that a hole in a blade does not make for a push dagger but he finally succeeded. However, this is more the exception than the rule.

I hope you are going to have a great time in Germany.

Mike

4. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder

Aug 12, 2005
    It is now illegal to carry a folding knife in Germany that has a locking blade And can be opened with one hand. However, you can carry a fixed blade if the blade is under 12cm long. Thank the traditional hunters who still wield a fair amount of political clout in places like Bavaria for that exemption.

5. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    Best of luck in your move, Chris! Glad we got to do business once...you seem like a legit dude :thumbup:

6. chrisk91

chrisk91

Oct 14, 2013
    Thanks brother! Means a lot.

7. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    Anytime, man! Be safe out there...

8. chrisk91

chrisk91

Oct 14, 2013
    Thanks for clearing that up. I was a little afraid that I couldn't get my favorite folders and such shipped to Germany. I always knew I couldn't carry them out of the house, but I enjoy my folders nonetheless. Thanks for clearing up some of the legalities of carry in Deutschland, I'm glad that the knives I've chosen to carry there are legal.

9. C_Becker

C_Becker

Oct 7, 2012
    You MAY carry one-handed-lockblades and fixed blades over 12cm if you have a legal reason, such as camping, hiking etc.
    Sadly, legal reason is not clearly defined, so it does depend on the situation (and the mood of the police officer :rolleyes:).
    Two-handed openers are not under any length restriction IIRC

You may own a lot of stuff, even if you can't carry it in public.
    Forbidden to own are: OTF switchblades, balisongs, push daggers, shuriken, nunchaku, sword canes and some other things I forget.

But small fixed blades or slip-joints are the way to go, and you have chosen two great examples for that

10. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    Nothing more to add what C_Becker is saying. Germany is nice - never been to another country, except vacation - and I really like it here :)

Welcome to Germany!

11. chrisk91

chrisk91

Oct 14, 2013

12. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    That is an understatement! Every time we visit Germany we have a great time. :thumbup: But you'll only enjoy it if you like outstanding beer, food, architecture, nature, history ... ;)

13. Street Samurai1978

Street Samurai1978

Mar 25, 2012
    Just be careful when putting food in your packs. I was in Hamburg 8 years ago, bought some hot sausages and put them in my backpack. When I got back to my hotel a few blocks away, Some of the juices seeped out of the package and into the bag. The bag still smells of those sausages even today. Everytime I open it up to use it, I end up hungry.

14. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    An understatement indeed! But in CZ food and beer is also great as well as history and nature... rather similar, just a little different though :) :eek:

May I ask you, the OP, where in Germany you are going to move? It´s a big country, at least for european standards...