MT12P featuring Cru-Wear Release Date

MT12P – Mule Team Fixed Blade
Featuring: Cru-Wear Steel

Release Date: MT12P will be available for sale on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 10:00AM MDT

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at www.spyderco.com. You can check it out now at the Spyderco Mule Team 12 Product Page

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2. This will be lifted on Sept 19 at 10:00AM MDT.
EDIT: The Purchase Limit has been lifted.

Cost: $59.95

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:
International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About:
Spyderco’s twelfth Mule Team Project installment features American-made steel called Cru-Wear. Upstate New York’s Crucible Steel manufacturers Cru-Wear which is very similar to Vascowear, a steel used by Gerber Legendary Blades in many of their past production knives.

Cru-Wear is a high-performance “V” tool steel that is difficult to process making it challenging for knife manufacturer to work with. It follows the same high-alloy, metallurgical tool-steel recipe used to produce D2, but with greater levels of vanadium, tungsten and molybdenum. It is air-hardened and worked in a cold state. Cru-Wear exhibits exceptional toughness, impact resistance and hardness for exceptional edge retention and is the first tool steel offering in Spyderco’s Mule Team Series.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.

Last edited:
This sounds like a very cool steel. I have been checking multiple times a day for this for weeks. :rolleyes:
I'm just worried about its corrosion resistance, because I live in a very humid climate. Anyone have experience with this steel?

It's not stainless. I'd put it somewhere below D2, but above 1095 class steels. Somewhere around the 3V, A2 area. Probably a little less resistant than 3V.

Was tempted to order all three current Mules, but managed to keep it to one Cru-Wear.

Mine arrived today. Stonewash finish again. I don't much care for that, but the way I treat these, it doesn't matter. I've been liking the M390, but I'll wrap this one tonight and it will go to work with me tomorrow.

With these high wear steels it helps keep the costs down and saves time I'd imagine. That may not be the reason they do it but lower costs sure help me.

Joe

They could leave them "as ground" with a 40 grit finish for all I care, but I know what kind of uproar that would cause.

Jack, let us know how it does at work. It should be one of the tougher mules.

Joe

They could leave them "as ground" with a 40 grit finish for all I care, but I know what kind of uproar that would cause.

I wouldn't mind either, but I suppose there would be rioting in the streets to some extent. :) a Para2 or Manix2 this steel would be a great platform. :D

a Para2 or Manix2 this steel would be a great platform.

This would be great for a very heavy duty/hard work folder. It makes nice fixed blades too. It's a bit harder to sharpen but it's tougher and more wear resistant than 1095, O1, W2, and a bunch of other steels. Remember it's 3V's uncle. :)

You got one on order yet, Joe?

I've got one on the way.

If you're still deployed and you want one say the word. Likewise if you want to use one for testing and not buy one we can do that too. Let me know.

Joe

You got one on order yet, Joe?

I've got one on the way.

If you're still deployed and you want one say the word. Likewise if you want to use one for testing and not buy one we can do that too. Let me know.

Joe

I was able to snag one, this will be an awesome knife to put to work.
Maybe a Cru-Wear Superleaf with carbon fiber ?
Japanese manufacturers will not use "inferior" imported steel. It would have to be made in Golden unless you want to pay $600+ for it. Pick any model made in Golden and I would be in.

Back