Multi-tools and Such

Hello Everyone.

I recently ordered a multi-tool for my son-in-law. I picked a Gerber MP 600 Pro Scout For him because he is familiar with the series and likes it.

What multi-tool do you carry?
What made you choose that model and brand? Does it meet your needs?

For sake of discussion I don’t consider a SAK as a multi-tool but, welcome SAK comments for comparison purposes.

I have a Leatherman Wave, I like it, but I only put it in my travel bag when traveling by car, too heavy for my belt or pocket, I use my SA more when want basic tools. Wondering if I should get a smaller multi tool like a Squirt. It has been a few years since I looked at different models.

I'll provide pictures later, but I carry a Leatherman Squirt. For a larger Multitool, I adore my Leatherman Rebar. With a suspension clip, the Leatherman Rebar carries very well.

I don't carry larger Multitools anymore, though. I carry too much stuff. A knife, a light, gun, spare mag, misc things for the day, doesn't leave much room for a heavy multitool that even though I love, it's unwieldy.

That tiny little Leatherman Squirt though? You wouldn't believe how useful it actually is.
Sidenote, it's perfect for dad's with little kids. The drivers on it are perfect for the kiddo's toys that require batteries. The wifey uses the scissors, lol.

Last edited:
I prefer the Gerber 600 series over my Wave myself. But, I think the Wave is a better product.

I don’t normally carry a MT on my person but my wife has one in her car. Another should be in the Jeep Cherokee, plus one in the tank bag for the K75. That is the plan, at least. Most are in the house.

I'll provide pictures later, but I carry a Leatherman Squirt. For a larger Multitool, I adore my Leatherman Rebar. With a suspension clip, the Leatherman Rebar carries very well.

I don't carry larger Multitools anymore, though. I carry too much stuff. A knife, a light, gun, spare mag, misc things for the day, doesn't leve much room for a heavy multitool that even though I love, it's unwieldy.

That tiny little Leatherman Squirt though? You wouldn't believe how useful it actually is.
Sidenote, it's perfect for dad's with little kids. The drivers on it are perfect for the kiddo's toys that require batteries. The wifey uses the scissors, lol.

I have to say that I have been impressed by the Rebar model from Leatherman.

I am a MT junkie. I will literally have a near panic attack if I dont have one on me. I have actually gotten to work (12 min drive) and turned around to get one. I have since bought a dedicated office tool that I keep in my desk;)

They have saved my bacon too many times before to go without. Absolutely crucial kit for me as a contractor and would be my "pick one" to be dropped in the woods with. I view the MT not as a replacement for a tool box as I have a dozen tool boxes with every specialized tool of my trade (both bought and invented), but as an augmentation of my creativity and a good last ditch way to get a job done or fabricate a crude tool to get by in a pinch.

My current carry for the last year has been a Leatherman Free P4. Spendy at $130, and I wasn't sure how the magnetic system would hold up, bit after 1000s of hours of pocket time and 100s of jobs, its just as good as the day I bought it. Love the one hand tools, especially the spear point blade shape, and all the functions on the tool have come in handy.

I'm also a huge fan of the Rebar. It's my go-to rough and tumble tool around the house. On the jobsite I gravitate toward the Supertool 300, but the P4 has most of my bases covered currently.

I have the Leatherman Wave I use/carry the most and a Wingman in my pickup console as a backup. I’ve been considering a Signal for edc , I just need to get one ordered. I’ve tried the smaller ones and SAK but they just aren’t up to the tasks I do.

I always keep a Leatherman Squirt P4 in my pocket. It handles about all my m-t needs when out and about.

...I have used the warranty service and they stand by it.

That is my experience with Leatherman also.

A friend of mine broke the blade on his Wave (using it as a pry bar). I sent it in for him and Leatherman just mailed out the latest new unit with all the upgrades.

I was very impressed. My friends Wave was in perfect shape other than the broken blade. I should note that it was a first generation model.

I edc a SAK on a daily basis, but have collected more than a few dozens LM multitools, Victorinox, Gerber and SOG multitools over the years. And if I were to choose a favorite, it is gonna be a Swisstool Spirit X.

All the tools accessible from the outside, every single tool implement is buttery smooth to open(think CRK hydraulic) and well though out combination of tools. My only regret was it not having a one hand opening blade, but the late MXBS model has changed that and probably will be my all time favorite from now on.

I'm in the cult of the Victorinox SwissTool. In particular for me the Spirit X in black oxide. I've been carrying one for years now and it has served me well. Honestly, as to why I chose the model, cool factor and appeal had alot to do with it in the beginning. That being said, over the years it has been a worthy companion, and it's in my pocket daily.

pC8lsxl.jpg

UgKEZqq.jpg

o4x6h3l.jpg

I was a big multitool guy for a long time, then the recession happened, I got a different job and stopped carrying them for years. Had to sell off my collection. It was a real whopper at the time.
mtos.png

Couple Chrismases ago I got a Leatherman Signal and it's been more useful than I could have imagined - mainly because of the hammer. I carry it every day and almost always find something to tinker with, or whack with the hammer.

img_1461.jpg

I've since gotten some other tools but always come back to the Signal. I think The Leatherman Wave is probably the best tool on the market but the Signal just has something about it that makes me like it more and carry it everyday. The Wave stays in the toolbox just in case.

If the Victornix Spirit or Swisstool ever came with an integral pocket clip they'd be world beaters, but sadly they don't.

Back