Multi-tools and Such

I’ve been looking at a P4 and I agree they are a little on the pricey side, then I looked at G2’s thread. I’ve wanted a pair of Knippex for a while. They only advantage to a multi tool is that I can carry them in my pocket and not add the weight to my backpack.

I’ve been looking at a P4 and I agree they are a little on the pricey side, then I looked at G2’s thread. I’ve wanted a pair of Knippex for a while. They only advantage to a multi tool is that I can carry them in my pocket and not add the weight to my backpack.
Hey! :)

I bought the 4” knipex off the back of that thread. They are very cool, very light and handy. Mind you, Gary takes such good pictures that he could make a thread on a $30 potato peeler and I’d still end up wanting one! :oops::D

Hey! :)

I bought the 4” knipex off the back of that thread. They are very cool, very light and handy. Mind you, Gary takes such good pictures that he could make a thread on a $30 potato peeler and I’d still end up wanting one! :oops::D
Just ordered a pair of matching 5”ers. I’m blaming Chip again.

I carry either a Victorinox Swisstool or Victorinox Spirit everyday along with one of my small Knipex pliers. Either the Cobras or Pliers Wrench.

I own a Swisstool Spirit (not Spirit X) I like it, considering the SAK Victorinox Evo S58, alternately considering the Swiss Champ.

...I have a Charge TTi, which always gets taken on holiday. We often rent a house for a couple of weeks, and it is surprising how many times I will need to ‘fix’ things in the holiday rental...

I own only two MTs (original Leatherman PST and Charge TTI) and anytime I go on vacation, unless I am flying with carry-on luggage, I always take the Charge TTI. My experience is the same as yours, Pilsner, on rental house, even hotels, there is always loose stuff, clogged tap filters, etc.

I have a Leatherman Squirt PS4 ordered and willing to include it as part of my light go-to kit for mountaneering/randonee ski outings that might require to tinker with the hardware.

And after seeing the pictures of the Victorinox MT's... I might end up buying one as I always had the feeling that the Leatherman multitool handles are everying but comfortable to squeeze... while the swiss tools, with their gentle curve, seem to be much more ergonomic.

Mikel

I always had the feeling that the Leatherman multitool handles are everying but comfortable to squeeze... while the swiss tools, with their gentle curve, seem to be much more ergonomic.
SAK plier-based multitools are unbeatable for fit and finish. They are made like a fine Swiss watch. What my SAKs lack are long pointy needle-nose pliers. Compare Wave/SAK/Surge pictured below.
JPEG_20200802_181308_82679304373676680.jpg
True, early LM tools were uncomfortable to squeeze, but the Wave/Charge/Surge group are much better and offer the option of a pocket clip. To each his/her own. T-A

...True, early LM tools were uncomfortable to squeeze, but the Wave/Charge/Surge group are much better and offer the option of a pocket clip. To each his/her own. T-A

Agreed. I can totally feel the difference between the PST and the Charge but they are still straight, while the Victorinox have curved handles (not just talking about the chamfering of the edge of the handles).

Regarding the pocket clip, that's precisely the reason that made me buy the Charge TTI... I live in Spain and had an "incident" with law enforcement for carrying a Spyderco Delica Wave that ended up with me paying a 300€ fine (and getting my knife back, as it is a legal item to own... but not to carry). Basically the law says we cannot carry anything, and it is up to the office to make the exception if he/she feels there is a justification for carrying one. Say you are going or comming back from fishing/hunting/hiking/climbing or in a rural area working arround a farm. That's ok. But I was stopped while driving and they didn't like that I had that Delica clipped to my pocket and they confiscated it. However, they didn't say anything about the Leatherman PST I was also carrying in a belt pouch. Sooooo... I thought to myself... what if I start carrying a MT that has easy access to the blade + has a pocket clip? Will I be able to get away while still carrying a usefull "tool"? And I bought the Charge TTI (because of the S30V blade mostly...).

Truth is that I carried it for a while... but let's be honest... it is a pocket brick! They belong to a belt pouch no matter what they say. So I am back to folding knives and the MT stays in whichever pack I might be carrying.

Mikel

I live in Spain and had an "incident" with law enforcement
Glad I live somewhere that, with an appropriate permit, I can carry something that offers me a much higher level of self-defense than a pocket knife and still doesn't put me at risk of legal ramifications from a police officer who might be having a bad day.
I carry at least one MT all the time, a Surge in a Skinth Plus on my belt with all the accessories, including a flashlight and spare magazine. Nobody in these parts (NW Illinois) gives me a second look. I guess you've got to do what makes sense for you in your situation. T-A

I am a MT junkie. I will literally have a near panic attack if I dont have one on me. I have actually gotten to work (12 min drive) and turned around to get one. I have since bought a dedicated office tool that I keep in my desk;)

They have saved my bacon too many times before to go without. Absolutely crucial kit for me as a contractor and would be my "pick one" to be dropped in the woods with. I view the MT not as a replacement for a tool box as I have a dozen tool boxes with every specialized tool of my trade (both bought and invented), but as an augmentation of my creativity and a good last ditch way to get a job done or fabricate a crude tool to get by in a pinch.

My current carry for the last year has been a Leatherman Free P4. Spendy at $130, and I wasn't sure how the magnetic system would hold up, bit after 1000s of hours of pocket time and 100s of jobs, its just as good as the day I bought it. Love the one hand tools, especially the spear point blade shape, and all the functions on the tool have come in handy.

I'm also a huge fan of the Rebar. It's my go-to rough and tumble tool around the house. On the jobsite I gravitate toward the Supertool 300, but the P4 has most of my bases covered currently.

I've been eyeballing a P4 for a while now and one of the criticisms/whines I've heard is metal shavings and such sticking to the magnets. Probably a way overblown issue, just wondering what your experience has been.
Thanks

I've been eyeballing a P4 for a while now and one of the criticisms/whines I've heard is metal shavings and such sticking to the magnets. Probably a way overblown issue, just wondering what your experience has been.
Thanks

I dont work around metal enough to have noticed it being an issue. Looking at it while I type, my magnets are 100% clear. I've never had the tool do anything besides stick to itself.

Back