1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Murray Carter kitchen knife collaboration

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by marcus52AR, Mar 29, 2019.

1. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    For those who don't receive spyderco email newsletters. It was just released that a new line of kitchen knives will be coming.

Copy and paste from email

Through an unprecedented collaboration, Spyderco has faithfully translated the meticulous craftsmanship and attention to detail of Carter’s exquisite handmade patterns to a breathtaking series of production knives known as the Murray Carter Collection. Manufactured in Japan to Spyderco’s exacting quality standards, the Murray Carter Collection includes Carter’s highly refined expressions of five traditional Japanese kitchen knife patterns: Petty, Funayuki, Nakiri, Bunka Bocho, andGyuto. Specifically chosen to excel at all types of food preparation, this formidable family of knives will be available in three different product tiers: The elite Itamae (Chef) Series showcases stunning burl G-10 (a durable fiberglass and epoxy laminate) handles and three-layer laminated blades with a high-performance Aogami Super Blue steel core clad between layers of SUS410 stainless steel.
    314d1c28-3f48-4000-abc2-318766585e11-900x674.jpg
    The Wakiita (Journeyman) Series features CTS® BD1N stainless steel blades and black G-10 handles.
    a57c9502-d04a-4081-abab-53296ff2c175-900x674.jpg
    The Minarai (Apprentice) Series also features CTS BD1N stainless steel blades, but with tough injection-molded synthetic handles. Although tailored to fit the varying skills, goals, and budgets of different cooks, these elite knives all share the same proud lineage and uncompromising craftsmanship. Like Carter’s coveted handcrafted knives, their blades are painstakingly tempered and ground exceptionally thin to provide an unparalleled cutting experience. The perfect synergy of time-honored tradition and state-of-the-art production methods, Spyderco’s Murray Carter Collection will set a new standard in kitchen cutting excellence.

Looking forward to getting a super blue when these become available.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    woodysone likes this.
  2. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks for the heads up, I’m with you on the Super Blue sounds very nice!:eek::)

3. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    CTSBD1N is an excellent steel for kitchen knives. The majority of my users have this steel and I love it. I can very much see myself using these.

Any information on where the line is made?

John_0917 likes this.
  4. marcus52AR

Apr 22, 2014
    These are made in Japan.

5. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Very nice.

6. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    The kitchen knives I was buying are now made in China. A steel I like, in a good design, made in Japan by a respectable company. I will be buying some of these.

7. amateur blacksmith

amateur blacksmith

May 19, 2018
    Any idea of price?

8. Babyboomer

Babyboomer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I like the look of these. Probably pretty expensive given that the MAP will be full MSRP (strictly enforced).

9. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Yes - price please.

10. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    I am very excited to get a couple of these! I don’t really love the idea of having to maintain a carbon steel kitchen knife but i do enjoy playing with SB (plus they look really hot) so I will likely get one of the Superblues. I will also definitely get one or two of the bd1n models and those will likely see more of the daily use in my kitchen. I’ll probably get one of each handle type just to try them out.

11. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Murray's knives are excellent. I have this set of his knives I purchased from him years ago when he was still working and producing knives in Japan.

Muteki.jpg

PeterS84, P2P, Mo2 and 3 others like this.
  12. David Richardson

David Richardson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Interesting. He makes nice knives. Perhaps more expensive relative to other similar knives. He makes his knives to be easy to get sharp quickly, and they are. I pass his shop on the way to work.

Will have to see how these are priced by Spyderco. Guessing having the Carter name on them will increase the cost somewhat.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  13. ibute21

ibute21 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 26, 2010
    I just purchased some of the Ferrum Tech kitchen knives and they're almost too pretty to use. Now I want these, am I just a glutton for punishment?

Rhinoknives1 and marcus52AR like this.
  14. amateur blacksmith

amateur blacksmith

May 19, 2018
    Yes :)

15. amateur blacksmith

amateur blacksmith

May 19, 2018
    Any idea who will stock these or when they will be available?

16. MyLegsAreOk

MyLegsAreOk Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2017
    They don't have the holes in them! I don't like it, not one bit. Not that you'd use that it in a kitchen knife but it's for posterity at this point.

marcus52AR likes this.
  17. marcus52AR

Apr 22, 2014
    I took a look at their site. Very nice knives, you owe it to yourself to use em.

I bought a nice shun and a nice North Arm paring that get used lots every day. Getting use from them makes me appreciate them much more and I'm able to justify the cost. Plus my henkels cut like crap compared to my Shun.

Edit to add.. ah I read again and see you said "almost too pretty to use". Disregard my poking about using them.

Mo2 likes this.
  18. ibute21

ibute21 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 26, 2010
    They are very quick and light in the hand, I genuinely enjoy them. Just had to get past the initial use. I am interested in these Murray Carter collaborations for sure though.

19. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Good stuff here. I for one am glad to see no Spydie holes in these, which would just be a potential area that's hard to dry and keep clean/bacteria free. I'm not sure if I'll get one or more of these though as I am pretty set on kitchen knives with the customs I already have. We'll see.

20. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I'm a fan the Spyderhole trademark >>> if it were large diameter Spyderhole <comparable to a PM2, say> it'd be a breeze to swab out...but it still would lend itself to getting bits of one food into the next food you're prepping and would add extra time, care, & diligence which a lot of cooks, chefs, and hacks <like myself :confused:> don't need extra steps to remember when we're on a roll.

Still I'm sure it was a tough call for Sal, since Spyderco's universally known as the company with the "knives with the hole in the blade--" for good reason...but it's a decision a lot of us I'm sure will support with our $$$. :)