My biggest complaint about Cold Steel...

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Kwon Kwang, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    ...is that some of their clips eat my pockets. I think that says a lot about the general quality of Cold Steel's products. They come super sharp, they use the strongest folding knife locks on the planet, they definitely know what they're doing with ergonomics, and they arguably do AUS8A better than anybody else out there. And then there's the excellent build quality and F&F. All that at price points a lot of manufacturers aren't even touching for the quality involved, like the $30-$55 Voyagers.

So, what do you like best about their products in general, and what do you think could be improved?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister

Apr 13, 2011
    I have a Mini AK-47 and just received a Espada-L in the mail from the Exchange. All the things you mentioned are what I love about these CS blades: fit and finish, razor sharp from factory, ergonomics, best lock in the business, value, and did I say FIT AND FINISH that RIVALS EVERYBODY??? The one thing I would like to see improved is to make a less aggressive G10 so they don't destroy the pockets on my jeans. Also, I wouldn't be bothered if they offered some higher end steels.

Otherwise? Keep up the good work, Cold Steel. I may soon own more than just two of your knives.

3. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    I think the pocket clip is the problem rather than the handle material; my Spyderco Calypso has some fairly aggressive G10, and I do not have a pair of pants I can't easily clip it onto.

4. Knifenutty

Knifenutty Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Adjust the clip...it's easy to GENTLY lift the clip slightly with a screw driver...
    It doesn't take a lot to adjust it...I cannot stress GENTLY & slightly enough...
    It's better to have it tight than loose, it doesn't tend to slide out of the pocket this way.
    Yes it is hard to clip into a pocket but some clip them places where they are a last ditch item and don't want it to fall off.

5. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    That's an interesting point that I haven't considered, thank you.

6. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister

Apr 13, 2011
    I like how snug the clip is to the pants. I think it's more the combination of the aggressive G10 and how tight the clip is to the scales that causes the wear on clothing. Either way, a smoother/less aggressive area behind the clip would be an easy way for Cold Steel to solve the issue without giving up the retention on the clip. DIYers can easily rectify it with Nutnfancy's JB WELD mod or by sanding the scales to a smoother surface....or last resort loosen the clip.

7. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    I tried loosening my AK-47's clip. It's too strong. No go. I was afraid to put more pressure on it. I sanded under the clip, and now it doesn't eat my pockets anymore, but it's still difficult to clip to any but the thinnest pockets.

On the plus side, I can wave it off my underpants. :thumbup:

8. BellaBlades

BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    On my AK. I took a bit of bend out of the clip and sanded the g-10 a hair. The only issue I have is when I wear Carhart Pants!
    I think it is the tensile strength of the pocket clip steel more than anything.
    Brusher

9. jlwatts3

jlwatts3

Mar 5, 2012
    Yeah, I JB-welded my Recon 1. I love CS's, for the money. Have an Outdoorsman Lite and Kukri Machine in my bug-out kit.

10. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Its a 5 minute job to sand the G10 and barely and carefully tweak the clip to loosen it up just a tiny bit. I do this on every knew Cold Steel knife I get. And with the larger knives that carry deeper in the pocket, its less necessary to have a tight clip because those big knives won't jump out of your pocket by themselves.

11. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister

Apr 13, 2011
    After fondling my Espada all day, I'm coming back to this thread again. This thing's a beast, and awesome...and it only made me want to run out and buy more Cold Steels, albeit more towards my EDC size and less towards the monstrosity sizes. However, I looked through the Cold Steel catalog and missing in the Cold Steel lineup are a good variety of small-to-mid sized folders that don't mirror one another. I feel their blades are all a bit too similar in appearance that creates an "own one, you own them all" feel. I'd like to see more innovation in this class of knife from them. It could also be the lack of variety in materials used causing many of their knives to mirror one another "on paper". On the other hand...if you want BIG pocket folders, Cold Steel is your company as no one else is offering such a mixture of large sized blades. I'm going to go back to fondling my new Espada, and try to figure out a way to justify buying the XL. :D

12. Indiana Joe

Indiana Joe Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Completely agree. I've had to do this with all my Cold Steel folders as well as my Emersons.

13. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I just fixed my Vaquero and my American Lawman. I placed a peice of undershirt rag around a flathead screw driver head and gently pryed upwards from the bottom about a half inch. I was able to raise the end of the clip about a mm or so. I traced the bottom half of the clip with a pencil, removed the clip and gently sanded with a BLACK strip of emory cloth (#40, "metal") the same width as the clip. I wiped it with a damp wash cloth to remove the dust. Mission accomplished with no sloppiness or unnecesary damage to surrounding areas.:D

14. goodshepherdknives

goodshepherdknives

Apr 7, 2013
    HAHA win.

yeah i need the super aggressive clips sometimes because if i wear light silky shorts like nikes for the rare ocassion i leave the house in them, cold steel knives are the only ones not getting lost

15. jjoanty01

jjoanty01

Jun 2, 2011
    The only thing that I find wrong with Cold Steel knives is the "Teflon" coating that they paint on thier knives. I have two Recon One knives, one old style (Ultra Lock) and one new along with an American Lawman. The only one that I have put to use is the Lawman and the coating started to rub off after cutting a few cardboard boxes.

16. tikkidaddy

tikkidaddy

Jan 1, 2012
    Quality!! and if the quality isn't above par, (and you haven't "batoned" your knife thru an 8in dia frozen solid oak log!) Cold Steel customer svc. makes it right. If you want rid of the black stuff, use gel paint stripper and polish 'er up. May void your warranty if ya disassemble it, just sayin'....

Only complaint?? "Silky screen laser" delicate as a snowflakes under-britches branding and model markings.

Come on CS, be as proud of your knives as I am and **permanently mark/stamp the CS info*** on at least a high-dollar blade. "Well, the military...blah, blah"

Make them sterile. Nuff said.

17. MarkG1965

MarkG1965

Jul 17, 2013
    It is actually the G-10 that causes the wear, get a Code 4 and the same clip design slides in and of the pocket with no issues. Also, the clip is so short it does not allow it bend much with use.

All clips will cause pocket wear in time, the aggressive G-10 just makes it worse.

18. upnorth

upnorth Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Yes. I have done it this way, and I have also removed the clip from my Voyagers, then smoothed out the pattern under the clip contact point with a hand drill and round stone. Then screwed the clip back on.

19. Humint

Humint

Apr 1, 2011
    I neat trick I tried that actually works is instead of sanding down the G10, I take the pocket clip off and pocket carry it for a month. By doing this, and taking it out rubbing it in your hand (who doesn't fondle the knife) the G10 is not has aggressive and I feel it becomes a different texture (hard to explain more aggressively soft rather than smooth) rather than sanding it.

I for one like all of the same variations in their folding knives. On the outside they really look like all of the same but it is the subtle differences between each model that makes one more perfect over the other.

For me the Lawman is just the absolute perfect knife (reigning over the Sebenza and the Spyderco Military). And while almost looking the same the Recon 1 is more of a fun knife. Don't ask me why I think this it is hard to put into words. If I had to pic one word to desribe the Lawman it would be PERFECTION for the Recon 1 it would be FUN.

20. cbxer55

cbxer55

Feb 13, 2006
    I have the Black Rhino, the Espada L and the Espada XL. But not the G-10 models, but the original polished G-10's. These are very easy to slide onto your pocket, and they do not grab on the withdrawal either. A co worker has one of the American Lawman with the rough G-10, and yes it is hard to put in or take out of the pocket.

Other than that, whenever I choose to go without a gun on me, I always pocket one of the BIG Cold Steel knives. The fit and finish are good, the lock is good, and they are BIG!