1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My childhood dream came true this weekend!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by cbrstar, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    You came away with a bunch of winners! Congrats!

cbrstar likes this.
  2. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    So sick!! Congrats!!!

cbrstar likes this.
  3. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Thank you so much, I love learning little bits of unusual knife history like this. For some reason I really like this knife as it just fits in my hand so nicely. Plus for a 30+ year old knife I think it still looks cool and contemporary. It's got me wanting to look at more of Blackie Collins work. Is there any particular brands or models of Blackie's that are a step above the others?

SpySmasher likes this.
  4. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Me too.

Blackie was, of course, a custom knifemaker, but my impression is those are pretty hard to find. I never even bothered to search them up, to be honest.

I mostly associate him with 1980s Gerber which was when I grew up. These were all high quality knives. He also did some stuff for AG Russell.

Blackie is famous for inventing the first assisted opening knife in the 90s but by this time he was designing for Meyerco and these are all pretty crap quality (build and materials) in my experience. Stay away unless you decide to become a Blackie Collins collector.

I wish I knew more.

Filoso and cbrstar like this.
  5. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    What the hell is gracie law doing here? He had light coming out of his eyes.

cbrstar likes this.
  6. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    I just learned that he also designed the TAC II so I guess I almost have a Blackie Collins collection lol. I also found it interesting that Spyderco gave him credit for the bolt action lock on the Sage 3. I had read that about the Sage 3 before but it didn't have any meaning or context because I didn't know who he was. IMHO it's a real shame that Spyderco dropped the lock. I had seen a Blade HQ test and the bolt lock came out on top for strength. I read a post by Sal that it was dropped because it didn't sell well, but I don't think it got a fair chance as it was only on one model.

SpySmasher likes this.
  7. The Whip

The Whip

Jan 28, 2007
    It's funny that you should say that about Gerber's Bolt Action, as apparently the knife's designer felt the same way. When Meyerco released its version of Blackie's Bolt Action, the only significant difference was the addition of those two features.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amazing score on all of those knives, but I particularly like that TAC II! I always thought it was a great-looking knife with an extremely well-designed sheath. Yours looks pristine! You found a real gem there, and I'm glad that you were able to fulfill a treasure hunt from childhood. I know exactly how that consuming quest feels!

For the most part, I agree about Meyerco. But there were brief periods when it built--or, probably more accurately, contracted--some U.S.-made models that were pretty decent quality. The Bolt Action is one example. Another is its version of the Terzuola CQB.

[​IMG]

-Steve

jux t, cbrstar and SpySmasher like this.
  8. stevekolt

stevekolt KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2007
    Congrats on the score!

cbrstar likes this.
  9. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    For sure, both of those pictured look really nice.

The Whip likes this.
  10. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    I don't know how to feel about it lol. On one hand I kinda feel like they ripped Gerber off as it looks identical, but on the other hand it's endorsed by the original designer and has the improvements I want.
    I read a post from this forum, from 2000 and I guess the Meyerco was only $15! The Gerber IMHO despite the plastic still feels like an expensive well made knife kinda like a Spyderco. So I'm wondering if you still get that feeling with the Meyerco or does it feel like a $15 knife?

11. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Great finds! I especially kill the Russell Belt knife and the Gerlach folder. John

cbrstar likes this.
  12. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Play 6/49! Awesome finds!

cbrstar likes this.
  13. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    some nice knife finds there.

that's warm winter?..snow on ground is warm?:) no thanks. it's been too cold here. 5c and 10c in the mornings. I hate the cold. dont know how you folks suffer through it.

cbrstar likes this.
  14. riversidedep

riversidedep Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Really awesome finds! I've always wanted a Tac II myself because of that movie. In fact, just last night I was channel surfing and came across Big Trouble in Little China. I watched it for a few minute and mentioned to my wife that it's one of my all-time favorite movies. But as cool as the Tac II is, you can tell it wasn't the seller's father's favorite knife in the group......

cbrstar likes this.
  15. USMCPOP

USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    Great find! I went to Alberta once 25 years ago or so. Delivering some equipment to Alberta Power. It was delightful. Not a whole lot of snow on the ground. Our host had us over for a backyard barbecue and we saw a huge owl in his back yard. Bunch of nice folks up there.

Back then, a U.S driver's license was good enough to enter the country. At the immigration point, I gave them mine. But it was paper and ancient. I handed the agent about 6 pieces smaller than a postage stamp. I was sent to a back room. The guy there looked at me and the pieces and just shook his head, as in what an idiot. I got in.

cbrstar likes this.
  16. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    Well usually it's i'd say around -18c (-0.4F) avg but I have seen it go to -45c a few times. When I was a kid the US military supposedly used to do a lot of testing here because the landscape and temps are a lot like Siberia lol.

You're right, I'm pretty sure it still has the factory edge on it.

I remember the good old days and being a kid. I could waltz across the border and the guards wouldn't even blink at me. Heck you used to be able to catch a ferry from Vancouver to Seattle, do a little shopping then ride the ferry back!

17. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead

Nov 6, 2017
    Congrats, and may the wings of liberty never lose a feather.:cool:

cbrstar likes this.
  18. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Score! Here in kali we wearing T-shirts and grillin, drinkin brews. Soakin in the rays.

cbrstar likes this.
  19. The Whip

The Whip

Jan 28, 2007

I own the Meyerco and I've handled the Gerber. In my opinion, Gerber was at the top of its game in the 1980s, particularly with folders, and the Gerber Bolt Action reflects that. But the Meyerco isn't very far off. It certainly doesn't feel like a $15 knife! (It wasn't expensive when I bought it, but I don't remember it being any $15, either!) If I had to compare the "feel" of its construction, I would say it's pretty close to early synthetic-handled Spyderco, Moki, or SOG--slightly rougher handle texturing than the Gerber, but as smooth and secure in its lockup.

-Steve

cbrstar likes this.
  20. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Quite the score.

cbrstar likes this.