My Cold Steel Pipe Hawk Project

Beautiful results. I don't want to copy your hawk, but I may do something similar with my set screw hole. Thanks.

Howard

You can change the screw hole to a different shape with needle files and fill with pewter, then polish. I use Brownell's dicropan blue and rub out with 0000 steel wool as my finish. I complete my polishing, thoroughly wash in warm soapy water, rinse in warm water, then apply the blueing per directions.

Oooh, super awesome! That's the best solution to the to screw-hole (sounds like a bad word). I actually like the looks better before it was filled in.
Now I'll have get another one to do something like that. Really like the filework between the eye and blade. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice looking work....Really like what you have done with the haft. Looks Great

I can't really comment on the Birchwood Casey Plum brown except I've used it before and I prefer the Laurel Mtn Forge Brown. You don't have to heat it (for a brown), it's its own degreaser so you don't have to worry about handling the piece with gloves and I've heard it's very durable. My hawk turned out darker than it appears in the photos. But when the instructions say 3-24 hours for the first application, I would go with the full 24. Maybe it would work faster on the smooth steel of a rifle barrel, but I've found hawks take a little longer than I expect to finish or patina....I'm not a patient man when it comes to projects, but I'm getting better.

As far as the wood goes, my tastes keep changing. I used to like the deep reddish tones, but for hawk hafts I sort of like the plain hickory with scorching and oil...the solution is to have some of both :)
Thanks for the info. I did brown a hawk the other day. It came out a little splotchy. It was old anyway so no big deal. I did heat the head up to apply the Birchwoods plum brown. I hope I didn't heat it too much and ruin the temper that was present. Regards

Back