My collection is gone, But I am still ok!

very well put. I do the exact same 3 things (well, the last two...:eek:). I have NO debt over knives and I sell to finance. I'm working on the impulse thing.

Brett
I did the same thing...I had well over a thousand knives...sold all of them except a few. ..now I collect again but I have a few simple rules.

1. Never buy on impulse.
2. Use only cash
3. If you have to have a specific knife sell another to finance it or save for it.

Now that I am starting a business I have had to again sell off a big part of my collection to infuse cash into the business periodically. Its been no big deal.

Its only stuff...but the friendships I have made are the things that are priceless..

Last edited:
This is a very "eye opening" thread.It kind of makes me re-think my current situation.

Thanks for the wise words.:)

I have some of the same feelings. As I get older I start thinking about simplifying my life.
Not sure that my kids will appreciate the knives that I have collected. I've been leaving little notes in some of the boxes explaining the significance of some knives.

QUOTE]

Leaving treasures is cyclic. Good stuff is sold dirt cheap because the heir has no use for the item or a sense of value.. The market is diluted until the collecting cycle starts again.

I've lived through this several times. My civil war S&W peaked almost $2,000 & now is worth $ 650 or so.

Idiot me,sold a gallon of antique lures for a buck ! Worth over a grand. Old too soon & smart too late.

Uncle :eek: Alan

I had a fair collection of production knives mostly from the 70s and 80s that I thoroughly enjoyed for years. Later, my tastes changed to custom knives but due to the increaded cost, my buying slowed down.

The last couple of years, extra money for knives has been pretty rare so I have purchased few knives.

Then it struck me that a missing part of the fun was the hunt and finding something new. So I began selling off some of my knives so I had money to buy new ones. I had enjoyed them, had fun finding them, and now somebody else could experience the same. And I get to go back into the hunt.

I have fewer knives now but that is fine. The ones I do have are more special to me.

I have done the same thing recently.

I started selling off knives and guns to finance my woodworking hobby, and since I recently obtained my Amatuer Technician license, I needed to buy radio equipment.

It felt good to be able to finance most of my purchases this way, while purging my production collection, and getting rid of guns that just sat around collecting dust. I sure made several co workers happy during the sell-off!

Last edited:
I did the same thing...I had well over a thousand knives...sold all of them except a few. ..now I collect again but I have a few simple rules.

1. Never buy on impulse.
2. Use only cash
3. If you have to have a specific knife sell another to finance it or save for it.

Now that I am starting a business I have had to again sell off a big part of my collection to infuse cash into the business periodically. Its been no big deal.

Its only stuff...but the friendships I have made are the things that are priceless..

Pretty doggone wise for a guy with a clown avatar. ;)

Like some have said, the friendships I have made are more important to me than any knives I own. A friend of mine, who had accumulated many guns over the years and has since pared his collection down, laid it out like this. A good centerfire semi auto pistol, .45 or 9mm. A good rimfire pistol, preferably .22. A good .22 rimfire rifle, and a good centerfire rifle (.30-06 or .308), both bolt actions or lever actions, whatever you want. A good pump 12ga. A single action wheelgun, and a D/A wheelgun. Calibers are of course, your choice. Basically, all anyone would need.

So, I look at knives like this. Everyone needs a SAK or multitool. KISS method for this one. A good folder with a three inch blade, locking/slipjoint, whatever. Everyday carry. Then, a good folder with a 3.5" blade, for working with, when you can't carry a fixed blade. A good camp knife, maybe in the 6" to 9" blade range. A good fixed blade to carry for EDC, fishing, bushcraft etc, 3.5" to 5", 5" is pushing it. Maybe a nice folder for dress carry. Like the guns and calibers, whatever steel you are comfortable with for your knives. Right now, what few I have left, are mainly S30V, O1 and A2.

Then again, limiting yourself is no fun...

BLASPHEMERS, the lot of ya! I just hope my knives, sitting in the next room, don't ever read this. And I thought all you zealots were my friends. Oh, for sure this is a sign of the end of days.:(:grumpy::mad::confused:;)

BLASPHEMERS, the lot of ya! I just hope my knives, sitting in the next room, don't ever read this. And I thought all you zealots were my friends. Oh, for sure this is a sign of the end of days.:(:grumpy::mad::confused:;)
HAHAHAHAH! I was wondering how long it would take... WOOT!

Jim, your post is salient to many of us, though i for one, try to deny these thoughts in my head. you have shed some illumination on the dark side of knife collecting. thank you, roland

Collecting is a natural impulse for people. Instead of gathering food and firewood we accumulate all sorts of other crap. It seems like my collection stays the same size. When I get something new I sell something else.

I'm a pretty big spendthrift and I don't make a ton of money. I see buying knives as a savings account. If I really need cash I can unload some blades.

Every once in a while I got through the knife drawer and take a close look at each one. If it doesn't speak to me it's time to get rid of it.

Justabuyer---Good for you!
Here's the deal: Two nice folders.
Two nice fixed blades.
One nice rifle and one nice pistol.
A man, or woman, should be all set.
Give or take, a little. :)

I just put almost half of my collection up for auction.All production folders.
I can definately understand where the OP is coming from.
I just have too much debt,& too many knives.Car insurance premiums coming up,CC bills,high fuel prices & a decrease in business have all been the issue here.
I only use a handfull of them(knives).The rest I just ogle:eek:
My family & financial stability comes before ANY hobby.

Justabuyer---Good for you!
Here's the deal: Two nice folders.
Two nice fixed blades.
One nice rifle and one nice pistol.
A man, or woman, should be all set.
Give or take, a little. :)

+1:thumbup:..don't forget a trusty shotgun:thumbup:

Its not that I feel my knives "own me." I sometimes feel, being that I only have "users" that it's a bit of a waste to have a really nice knife die a long slow death in my knife display. Than again, I look at them all the time, I take pride in owning them. My kids like for me to show them to them. My three year old likes my "orange knife" the best! :D What can I say he has good taste. (its a XM) Also I like the problem of having to pick a knife to carry. :D

I will be keeping most ALL my knives, because I think one day they will be worth much more that the dollar cost to my children. Daddy's old beat up knives will remind them of me. That's all one can really ask for. :cool: That said I think going over 30 really nice knives would be a bit overboard, and Im not there yet! :D

555 I sent you out a small sebbie, should be there any day now. And, I packed it up in a nice heavy weight box. You might need a strider knife of some sort to get all that Quick Crete out of the way first.......:D

Back