"My Core Gear" by Magnussen

Rick Marchand

Donkey on the Edge
I would like to share with you my "Core Gear". These are the items that I take with me on extended trips, regardless of season. All that I will share with you I have learned from others more experienced than I, from good books and from miserable mistakes that I have made. I am continuously trying to improve my game and just when I think I've got it nailed... I see something new and the endless cycle begins again.
Rick

RicksGearPic.jpg

I have divided the items into four groups marked A, B, C, and D.
If there are any questions I’ll happily explain my choices.

"A" (Clockwise from top left)

- A Swiss/German mess kit containing a pot w/ lid, cooking shield, burner and bottle of fuel
- A "personals" kit containing first aid supplies, small sew kit, beeswax, pitch blend, handywipes, toothbrush/paste, deodorant crystal, zinc oxide, hand sanitizer and homemade pine tar soap.
- Cordage bag containing brass wire, decoy line and various lengths of 550 paracord.

"B" (Clockwise from top left)

- Collapsible water container
- Canteen w/ cup and iodine tablets
- “Safe Water” purification bottle and steel cup
- Bush Belt with carabiner, belt knife, fire kit and Leatherman
- 4 bandannas and a small towel

"C" (Clockwise from top left)

- Large sew kit with “E-Z Stitch”sewing awl, leather thongs, beeswax and spare buttons (made from pennies and nickels)
- Head lamp, LED torch and long burning candle
- Bags of spruce gum and pine pitch, long burning candle with tin caps for heating resin
- Sharpening kit

"D" (Starting on left)

- Brass “Spy Glass”
- Norse Hawk
- Small possible bag containing a compass, whistle, utility knife, lighter, dental floss, firesteel/striker, pad w/ pencil and a small bag with various cordage.
- Under the bag is an emergency firepouch worn around the neck

I love the combination of old and new! Looks great and you look well prepared and most likely well versed in how to use it all. Great looking kit,

ROCK6

Great gear, and definitely a great set of core items to always have with you. I really like your knives, and that brass spy glass is too cool!

I think that is the most traditional kit I have ever seen. Nice kit.

That looks like a very handy little working knife, what kind of steel did you make it out of?

That looks like a very handy little working knife, what kind of steel did you make it out of?

It's mystery steel from an old logger's crosscut saw.... high carbon... strong and flexible with good edge retention.... I think I had blind luck on the heat treat (mps gas torch and veg oil quench, draw back spine + 2 tempers at 400 for 1hr. 7yrs old and still like... well... old.

Rick

how well does the spy glass work? wouldn't a pair of binoculars work better and lighter compared to brass?

Just caught this question... sorry.

I use the spy glass for Three reasons.......

1.It can be easily taken apart and maintained or the lenses used for fire starting.(unlike most binoculars)
2.It can go from about 8X power to 30X power at full extention.
3.It just looks damn cool and you feel like a pirate when you use it.(most important reason)

Rick

Thanks for all the great compliments, folks.

I'm slowly replacing most of my modern gear with traditional "old ways" stuff. I keep certain things "modern" because it just makes sense to... I'm not a diehard mountainman by any stretch of the word... but I like the feeling it gives me when I make something in the traditional manner.

Rick

What does it look like all packed up? What are the contents of your fire kit? Anything for an emergence shelter, like a trash bag or space blanket?

It looks great!

great stuff rick.....:thumbup:

i always love seeing pics of your gear.... i like the fine blend of traditional and modern equipment.... keep it simple....:thumbup:

mike

Darn nice picture. Great choice of background color. Your kit looks like it weighs a ton though. Since you carry the cookset why carry 2 more metal cups? I would add a Platypatch kit for the platypus.

Darn nice picture. Great choice of background color. Your kit looks like it weighs a ton though. Since you carry the cookset why carry 2 more metal cups? I would add a Platypatch kit for the platypus.

Platypatch? didn't know they existed.... awsome!

Why the metal cups? Well I always have a means for fire on me and I always have something to carry water when I hike (the canteen or the filter bottle) so I thought "why not have a means to boil water or cook with each container?" I don't always have my pack with me and these are just "grab and go" They don't add much weight and give me peace of mind.

Back