My favorite part about canvas micarta

....is how one minute you can have a knife that looks like this.....
2018-05-02 06.53.50.jpg

.....and in less than a minute, with a little brake cleaner it can look like this....
2018-05-02 06.54.28.jpg

....and in less than a minute, with a shot of any penetrating lubricant it can go right back to the dark look. Let's see you do that, G10!

I've always loved the canvas micarta. It's grippy when wet, and just feels good. The g10 can make the knife look really nice and if you want to have a little more weight in the grip, g10 adds some more weight over canvas.. plus, as expensive as busses are, adding $80 to the cost the knife when you can get canvas free makes financial sense. I probably go about 8-1 on canvas buys over g10. I know that oil makes canvas nice and dark , but the brake cleaner thing to lighten is cool

Been doing that for about 20 years :)

Just be a little careful with some coatings and plastics/rubbers break cleaner will eat them up.

Some "friends" of mine took a sharpie and marked a Carb/Brake Cleaner "Buy Brown Gun Cleaning System Part 1" Then Marked a can of WD40 "Buy Brown Gun Cleaning System Part 2"

That is why I have Glocks, Benellies and AK's I am not the best at Gun cleaning ;)

Brake cleaner?! I always wanted to figure out a good way to bring micarta back to new looking after hard use .

You just taught me something I will definitely be trying in the near future. Love it!

Eeeeks! How can you dare spray any petro-chemical on that gorgeous knife?? /sarcasm

I have had pretty close results with hot soapy water and a scrub brush. Then returned it to dark with food grade mineral oil. I try to stay away from harsh chemicals in case I need to use it for food prep.

Been doing that for about 20 years :)

Just be a little careful with some coatings and plastics/rubbers break cleaner will eat them up.

Some "friends" of mine took a sharpie and marked a Carb/Brake Cleaner "Buy Brown Gun Cleaning System Part 1" Then Marked a can of WD40 "Buy Brown Gun Cleaning System Part 2"

That is why I have Glocks, Benellies and AK's I am not the best at Gun cleaning ;)
Try some electronic parts cleaner. Works just like brake cleaner but it isn't hot enough to soften plastic. I use it a lot in my job for cleaning up chainsaws. Gets all the old caked up oil/sawdust gunk off and doesn't hurt any of the plastic cowling.

I have had pretty close results with hot soapy water and a scrub brush. Then returned it to dark with food grade mineral oil. I try to stay away from harsh chemicals in case I need to use it for food prep.
WD40 tastes even better than it smells!

Soap and water will achieve the same result. Even when mine are soaked with sweat, dirt, blood, and/or oil - they always clean up the same.

I use a toothbrush and dawn detergent. If you want your micarta looking new, get some mineral oil on it, after cleaning.

I propose Brake Cleaner may break down the micarta.

What I really love about canvas micarta is it costs nothing more on a Busse. Love the stuff on slippies. I prefer it over G10 on any knife. Micarta wins all day with me and I appreciate the dry and wet look equally.

Soap and water will achieve the same result. Even when mine are soaked with sweat, dirt, blood, and/or oil - they always clean up the same.

I use a toothbrush and dawn detergent. ...
Same here. I soak the handle in a solution of Dawn dish soap, and then use a toothbrush if needed, and it looks like new when finished. One advantage of using dish soap is there is no toxicity to be concerned with.

I use a toothbrush and dawn detergent. If you want your micarta looking new, get some mineral oil on it, after cleaning.

I propose Brake Cleaner may break down the micarta.

What I really love about canvas micarta is it costs nothing more on a Busse. Love the stuff on slippies. I prefer it over G10 on any knife. Micarta wins all day with me and I appreciate the dry and wet look equally.
I tried washing the handles when it arrived last week but the areas around the belly of the grip and the wavy areas at the ricasso stayed dark black. It almost smelled like burnt plastic when I opened the box so I was thinking that maybe the scales got a little hot and glazed over during the milling process. A little chemical persuasion fixed it right up.

Reactions: HST
I'm 100% with ya on the texture, feel and look but I like the color variations g10 brings. That's why I made these ;) best of both worlds. I wish Busse would do more color combos in canvas.

2nAku1E.jpg

I'm 100% with ya on the texture, feel and look but I like the color variations g10 brings. That's why I made these ;) best of both worlds. I wish Busse would do more color combos in canvas.

That is hands down one the best looking knives I’ve ever seen! About as close to perfect as possible.

2nAku1E.jpg

^ perfect knife ! ^

Thank you Sir. It's been a long and awesome hunt but I believe it's just about perfect too. We'll see when the flack jacks land ;).

Keeping the thread on point with this bad boy ;). Black canvas rules!

nUJv9MJ.jpg

Back