CRKT My first CRKT product seems perfectly fine . Happy surprise !

Their rep is pretty hit or miss on QC in general and poor HT on steel especially is concerning for anything intended for hard use . :mad::thumbsdown:

I've wanted quite a few of their products over the years ,but never wanted to risk getting a "lemon" .

They have many interesting and innovative designs they license , but often don't actually produce a consistent good quality product .

So, I just always ended up avoiding the potential heartbreak . :(

Anyway , finally broke down and took the plunge and seems they did very well on the one I received . :eek:

So far , I'm very happily surprised and may have to risk buying more CRKT goodies after all !o_O:oops::confused::p Never thought I'd say that !

Sooooooo which one did you get? o_O

Their rep is pretty hit or miss on QC in general and poor HT on steel especially is concerning for anything intended for hard use . :mad::thumbsdown:

I've wanted quite a few of their products over the years ,but never wanted to risk getting a "lemon" .

They have many interesting and innovative designs they license , but often don't actually produce a consistent good quality product .

So, I just always ended up avoiding the potential heartbreak . :(

Anyway , finally broke down and took the plunge and seems they did very well on the one I received . :eek:

So far , I'm very happily surprised and may have to risk buying more CRKT goodies after all !o_O:oops::confused::p Never thought I'd say that !

There is no hit or miss with 'Hissatsu line' (made in Taiwan).
Thanks for the great comparison pic, @ WeAllJuggleKnives (YT).

hqdefault.jpg

There is no hit or miss with 'Hissatsu line' (made in Taiwan).
Thanks for the great comparison pic, @ WeAllJuggleKnives (YT).

hqdefault.jpg
:) Thanks ! What's weird is that I was just now looking at that very knife with renewed interest . Spooky ! :eek::p

I was also considering the SPEW , but the steel ain't great and the sheath seems cheap . Steel not vital on a SD only knife , but the sheath has got to work .

Kool, that's the one done by RMJ if I'm not mistaken? Nice looking, glad you like it.
:) Yes ! Excellent design by RMJ and surprisingly well built by CRKT . You'd expect to pay ~$500 for an actual RMJ . Mine was ~$90 +tax . Not the same quality , but plenty good enough for my use .

:) Yes ! Excellent design by RMJ and surprisingly well built by CRKT . You'd expect to pay ~$500 for an actual RMJ . Mine was ~$90 +tax . Not the same quality , but plenty good enough for my use .

Yea anything by RMJ is gonna cost you but this is a way for the average Joe to get one of their designs. Even if it's of lesser quality uve proven it will do the job.

:) Thanks ! What's weird is that I was just now looking at that very knife with renewed interest . Spooky ! :eek::p

I was also considering the SPEW , but the steel ain't great and the sheath seems cheap . Steel not vital on a SD only knife , but the sheath has got to work .
You need to try the Minimalist. Neat little knife if you like neck knives. The Folt's customs are $200-$300.

I love the larger Ripples. I have all of the variations of the Acuto Steel Ripples. I was lucky enough to get a blue one before they became scarce.

I also like the red Burnley Obake. You can get it at Knifecenter for only $22. Fun knife.

timthumb.php

CRKT's poor reputation is primarily for their folding knives. I would argue that many of their fixed blades are perfectly fine options that are generally reasonably-priced. I actually carried a CRKT Sakimori for a while and loved it. The CRKT Dragon is a rarely-mentioned gem of a knife as well, coming in generally under $30 and having just a very useful blade shape.

I have no experience with their camp tools (machetes, axes, hatchets, etc) so I have no point of reference for those. My main point is that CRKT sucks absolutely at producing folding knives of reasonable value and quality, but that doesn't seem to extend to their products that lack moving parts.

CRKT's poor reputation is primarily for their folding knives. I would argue that many of their fixed blades are perfectly fine options that are generally reasonably-priced. I actually carried a CRKT Sakimori for a while and loved it. The CRKT Dragon is a rarely-mentioned gem of a knife as well, coming in generally under $30 and having just a very useful blade shape.

I have no experience with their camp tools (machetes, axes, hatchets, etc) so I have no point of reference for those. My main point is that CRKT sucks absolutely at producing folding knives of reasonable value and quality, but that doesn't seem to extend to their products that lack moving parts.
:) Thanks ! I'd never thought about it those terms , but it makes perfect sense that folder would be harder to get right .

CRKT Folders made in Taiwan and Italy are absolutely worth their price... some are pricey... and many folks think that paying $$$ for a CRKT made with quality materials and by quality manufacturers is kind of like spending big bucks on a High-End Casio (which are amazing!) when you could get a basic Rolex for a similar price...

I think that the negative reputation of CRKTs (and Kershaws) is grossly exaggerated.

FWIW, I own over 30 CRKTs and over 80 Kershaws, many of them vintage and/or discontinued models. They may not be the "best" knives available but you get what you pay for and NONE of these knives that I own are "lemons" IMO.

So, I don't think there is any need to worry. Besides, if you buy from a reputable dealer and/or any other seller who will (or is required to) accept returns, you can always return any knife (CRKT or otherwise) that you are not happy w/for a full refund or exchange.

BTW, I did get a Kershaw Skyline long ago from the Knife Center that I thought was a POS. I returned it to KC w/o any difficulty and never bought another one.

Last edited:
D DocJD

Another great thing is the customer service. I asked for a few spare parts for my M16. She sent body screws, washers, thumb studs, lawks washer , clips and more.

Was super impressed.

:) That guys ! Lots of great leads . I'll probably "end up in the poorhouse " ! :p

D DocJD

Another great thing is the customer service. I asked for a few spare parts for my M16. She sent body screws, washers, thumb studs, lawks washer , clips and more.

Was super impressed.
That's good to know , because I had no idea of their CS quality . That is a vital factor . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Aus8 is not amazing but the full size classic is one of my all time favorite knives.

View attachment 1157999
:) My two huge Cold Steel folders are old AUS8 and I never had any problems except a tiny bit of rust stain spotting when I got sloppy on maintenance .

It's a whole lot about the HT , geometry and correct usage , not just steel formula .

But I do think CRKT could up their game with some better steel . Cold Steel certainly has on their mid grade models . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I used to have the aluminum version of the crkt shenanigan, it was easily one of the smoothest flippers I've ever handled. It was a pretty good knife really.

Back