"My first day on the job" by: 897UH

A great knife the 897UH, I enjoyed rereading this thread. I don't get the thumbnails for LT's post but the pictures do show when clicked.

Luis

Here's some real stag (with thanks to LT):

ioggns.jpg

The size of the 897 makes it easy to carry everyday. I have it in the regular production model, with blue jigged bone scales, the cigar box version, and am waiting to receive one with maroon micarta scales.

The quality of the cigar box knives is outstanding. For the price, they have to be some of the best knives Schrade made.

Luis

Here's some real stag (with thanks to LT):

ioggns.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Luis,
That surely is a handsome knife !
Schrade genuine stag seems to be pretty rare.
Do you know any of the particulars about it? Was it a special commemorative or a contract knife?
Thanks for posting the picture!

Ron

Schrade made several issues the last few years especially that particular knife and the others I got like it I bought right off the tray from Schrade when in the factory. I used to do some of the customer shows in Fort Washington in Philly an several in NYS as well as often answering automatic related question which they would receive. By the way this knife which was a gift to the Don was recipricated by a beautiful hand made hat band. Which by the way Don I wore a couple of weeks ago at FOXWOODS. Thankyou again I really treasure it. I have a few nice stag pieces most of which are presently on display at the exhibit in Ellenville. However perhapes I will get a chance to show a couple if I get time tomorrow.

Ron,
That is a beautiful knife! I think the stag is better looking than a lot of the stag I have seen recently!

LT,
Your razor pics remind me of a couple razors I have in my collection. I have a razor called a Yakima Pointer that belonged to my Grandfather (the razor itself was made in Germany for Yakima Hardware Co. North Yakima, Wash). My Grandmother gave it to me and said Grandpa had bought it in Washington during the Depression when they went to Washington to pick apples one year because there was no work in California.
Here is the pic:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/orvet/Yakimarazor.jpg

My Grandmother also gave me another razor that belonged to my great Grandfather. It is a Crown & Sword #1720 made in Wald, Germany.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/orvet/Crownrazor.jpg
It is still in the original box, which has a price sticker on the sleeve. You can clearly read most of the label, but the price has faded. See pic:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/orvet/RazorSleeve.jpg
I have never been to Missouri, maybe someone who lives around there can tell me if Dudfield Brothers are still in business, though I doubt it.
I never knew my great Grandfather. This razor is the only connection I have to him.

What I enjoy so much about collecting knives is in many instances it allows me to connect my past. My Grandfather was a plumber, after the Depression, and he taught me the value of hard work, buying good tools (knives included) and taking care of my tools. I hope to pass on to my children and grandchildren some connection to their forefathers and having something tangible that belonged to their ancestors is helpful.

LT, not long ago I made a hat band for my dress hat using the same knots as on yours, though this one is a lot simpler, twisted yarn, no tassels, discreet color, less knots with more space in between, I like it and sure looks better than the original ribbon.

Here's a picture, I included a couple of old German razors that I own, Boker and Wusthoff, I couldn't get them right in the picture with the hat so I have included a second picture with only the razors.

Hat and razors

Scan of razors

Luis

I am posting a pic of a few straight razors this is a small display of various styles ( blade patterns ) and handles. This field is really a study unto itself and the range of variables in handle materials and adornment is in my opinion a much wider and prettier spectrum than regular knives. This was because these were not usually carried but kept in barbers cabinets. Except in the neighborhood where I was brought up in which case these were often carried in a sock or with a small piece of tape to keep it closed on a chain around the neck under the shirt. certainly as fast as any switchblade and while not usually as fatal as an ice pick they were a great defensive tool since cuts while not deep were nasty and exceptionally bloody. This were also good as an enticment for the collection of weekly vigs ( ie interest paid to the investment counselors of the time ), Of course that was when getting someones elses blood on you was not as dangerous as getting cut. As it is today. These also served quite well for shaving my father was a barber and gave me one I used to strop it on my hand. Being young tough and ignorant I had read that this can be done and the oils of the palm actually promoted doing it this way. Unfortunately While having imbibed a bit to much one night I made a slight error in the judgment of my depth perception. I still have the scar ( like I said messy ). I went right out and bought my first safety razor right after that. There are several decent books out on this hobby it is as I said a study unto itself. Unlike knives ( because of the amazing number of variables.) To come to a price you actually use kind of a formula some makers are worth more than others adornments. handle materials, ect all add or lack of detract from the final figure. Some of them are amazing carved ivory and pearl, wild celluloid gold, silver, They are to me as a bright spoon lure must affect a large bass. A few years back this was the hobby to get into since these for the most part were still pretty reasonable. I am afraid this is rapidly changing.

The second picture is of several of the knives Schrade produced in conjunction with Copenhagen Snuff. They made, as has been discussed here, many variations most however had the sawcut ( OT type ) delrin handles usually with a Copenhagen shield. This large Sheath knife ( golden spike ) was an exception in that it was in real stag ( which is why I posted it ). It is in the original laser cut box which as you can see has a picture of a hunter and his dog. Copenhagen also sold snuff can lids ( which were used on there little round can instead of the plain version it came with ). This version lif has the same picture on it ( I used COPE for many years )I used not to be able to go to sleep without a large pinch in my mouth and after a night swallowing the juice it was the first thing I reached for on the bed table in the morning. ( ASIDE you know as time goes on and I look at some of the wonderful habits I had and have along with my festive jolly nature, I start to understand why I am now alone. ) Oh yes and before I go further I also have a fairly large collection of snuff can lids. It is amazing the periferal. collections that branch out. I have a friend who bought one buffalo hoof ashtray he now has a herd. Any way I also included in the picture a couple of the actual steel dies that were used for various purposes ( branding leather scrim ect. ) They used this model with actual stag on several issues for various promotions and companies but I felt seeing this one would give you (the reader) the general idea. LT

My first razor was a fancy safety razor which my father gave in 1967, I still have it, it's the one in the top left in this picture, the blue blades in dispenser are surely older, they belonged to my grandfather who died also in 1967.

I used a straight razor for a while but stopped after a nasty cut on two fingers, I have had a beard most of my adult life so a simple safety razor takes care of the neck and little else that I do shave, the small all metal one next to my first is what I am using these days.

Luis

iqm1qv.jpg

iqvdrn.jpg

Alrighty then in the vein of the direction of this thread. I am posting a picture of a safety razor this is not exactly the way we normally envision one of these items none the less it is not broken and was made this way for a reason. ( I may have posted on this item before but the way I babble I am not sure, beside I probably would not remember either way.), Does any one else remember or know what this tool was used for and the reason it was made this way? This item should finally prove that no matter how innane I own at least one of every piece of nonsense ever made. Perhapes there is an old timer ( not the Schrade type but rather a person whos memory goes back further than the disco era who might recognize this ). By the way here is a hint this item was used for many years however it became obsolete with the introduction of the plastic throw away safety razor. This should also show just how bored I am tonight. LT.

No that would not have to be in two pieces. Good try Del at least I know someone is out there. LT

Is that a steptic pencil in the handle? I sure could use one, even with the "safety" razors. It is tempting just to go ahead and flatten out all the high spots, but I am not sure I have enough blood in me for that!

Codger

OK Pilgrim...

I'm gonna guess thats a strop that fits in the handle.

Even if I'm wrong, that's a nice razor.

Bill
EDIT:
As usual...I'm too old and slow, and apparently downstream.

...at least I know someone is out there...
He he, I'm out here. My wife and daughter have gone shopping with my mother in law and sister in law and I rather stay alone at home than go to the mall with 4 women so I am here with my cigar, coffee, whiskey and computer, not that bad really.

I've seen lots of safety razors including those with non disposable blades and never saw anything like that, even tried several google searches with no luck. I wouldn't be surprised if that thing is used like a steel to straighten the edges, my dad used to strop his disposable blades and I can tell you from experience hat it does give them a bit more life.

I had to throw away my old styptic pencil years ago since my wife is allergic to the iron subsulfite or whatever thing was in it.

Luis

WRONG WRONG I say HA HA HA. Well that being said you might think such a comment is a bit crazy and that is your second hint. Come on you guys just because you have lead normal lives in normal jobs does not mean we all have. Where is big dog he always gets these. LT

OK, so by twisting the handle, a boar bristle brush appears to brush the cut whiskers out of the razor. Or it is a fancy tickler, depending on your bent.

Codger

It's to beat your wife/girlfriend/daughter when she uses your razor to shave her legs and doesn't change the blade afterwards (and, doesn't tell you until it's too late, that she did so)!!

I guess it is time to explain there seems to be some restlessness in the ranks. By the way I am attaching a pic of a Deluxe version of a similar GILLETTE . You will note that this normal version does not have a hole in the bottom. The ratchet stem which fits inside the handle is permanent in the handle. Remember these work by turning the gnarled handle which turns a small nut ( as a ratchet would,) which allows the top of the razor to open allowing a blade to be put in or taken out. Now by having the stem out this cannot be turned so the blade cannot be extracted ( or a new one put in ). When you deal with inmates in an insane asylum this is kind of a nice feature. Notice the chain and loop on the stem that was to carry on your ring of keys. Now if you happened to lose your keys to the inmates you would not only lose your keys and your job but most likely your virginity and possibly parts of your anatomy or even your life. So losing your razor key for your bughouse GILLETTE no longer was your major worry.

By now I would guess that you have figured out that these were invented so that the blades could not be removed and you would be right, however you might be surprised at the main reason that these blades would be used for in an insane asylum. You might think that the inmates would if allowed remove them so that they could be used as a weapon against others well certainly that did happen but actually statistics would show that mostly when the blades could be gotten they were much more often used in suicide attempts. However the main reason they were sought was for there (I guess nutritional value ) Yup they just loved to eat them I suppose these and lit cigarette butts were the most sought after delicacys in the joint. Remember I did say that they were crazy. As soon as they could get there hands on either of these items they would pop them down like clams on the half shell. They also like to do this with various bodily excretions ( however I will not go into that ) Now most of the time as with most things, the saying this to shall pass, was the norm however in other instances things became a bit more complex and many of the inmates did it hoping for bleeding and other complications that would necessitate a cathather ( spelling?) because they achieved some kind of pervered pleasure from insertion process. Others just did it because they were just so tasty.

So anyway that was what this razor was invented for. The plastic throw away safety razor helped with this problem in that the blade is much smaller ( as far as a weapon, or digestion and of course aside from that was more sanitary since prior to that everyone used the same razor ) it cured a lot of problems and was easier to keep track of. By the way one of the most amazing tools in controling behavior in an institution for the criminaly insane was television. The greatest tool including thorazene for keeping a dorm quiet was simply putting on an old Japanese Horror film like godzilla. They would all just sit around ( enthralled ) and quietly Drool since I usually had a hangover and needed the thorazene more than them this was quite welcome.

So now you know what a bug house razor is. LT

Back