• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

My Intro & a question: what brands should I sell?

Hi all,
I live along the shore in New Jermany.
I own a medical company.
I started carrying knives for my 1st responder customers.
I have turned that into a small hobby business attending various street fairs and gunshows
In the knife area I am a dealer for CRKT and Cold Steel.
One of my best sellers is the Veff Sharpening Systems, But the supply has gone dry and I only have 3 left. I am looking for sharpeners as well.
I seek some input for an American Made line as outlined:

#1 MUST be American Made

#2 My Market is $100 and under buyers

#3 looking for a smaller Company with good QC as I already deal with the Mass makers (CRKT and Cold Steel)

#4 Single Blade Folders are 85% of my business

#5 Benchmades are great but my clientele would never spend the $$$ for them.

As previously posted, I am/was considering Bear and Sons , but I have not pulled the trigger on anything yet.

So what's your suggestions?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, Tommy... I can't help you with you with your input questions....

But, dammit.... WELCOME to BFC! :D

They aren't tiny, but you want American made folders that can be sold for under $100.
Buck and Kershaw.
Buck makes a lot of their knives in their Idaho plant.
Last time I checked, Kershaw still made a few of their sub $100 knives in the US, also.

I certainly appreciate your welcome and suggestions.
I am certainly aware of all the big name guys out there. One of my biggest problems is Amazon and eBay. The bigger the name the mor whores are out there offering to give their goodies away . I believe most sellers never take their fees and shipping costs into consideration. Amazon 12%~eBay 10%+3.5% PayPal plus $3 and up to USPS. Hence everyone made money except the guy that invested in the inventory!
I am traveling down to 'Bama to meet with the Father and Son at Bear. The benefit is they are made in the USA and they make the Gatco Sharpener System as well, which, although not the big name like Lansky, it is better. Wider, Safer and 2 more honing degree options.
I am looking forward to meeting with these gentlemen.

It's always interesting to get a sneak peek in how some sides of business work, so I am very interested to learn how your meeting went.

I would echo the sentiment about Buck knives, but you've already responded to that. I am interested to know how exactly Amazon and Ebay factor into that. Can't you do a bit of an experiment with a smaller volume? Test the waters a bit? You don't have to sell as much as Amazon and Ebay or go as low as they do on the price, right?

You could look at case, too, but I don't peg them as the brand for first responder type of people. Otherwise I think you should look into other local makers. Maybe someone would be able to create a fixed run of sub $100 folders to your specs.

Could you elaborate on the importance of the knives being american made? I am interested to know why it's so important to you, as it does limit your options in that price range.

It's always interesting to get a sneak peek in how some sides of business work, so I am very interested to learn how your meeting went.
I am interested to know how exactly Amazon and Ebay factor into that. Can't you do a bit of an experiment with a smaller volume? Test the waters a bit? You don't have to sell as much as Amazon and Ebay or go as low as they do on the price, right?

You could look at case, too, but I don't peg them as the brand for first responder type of people. Otherwise I think you should look into other local makers. Maybe someone would be able to create a fixed run of sub $100 folders to your specs.

Could you elaborate on the importance of the knives being american made? I am interested to know why it's so important to you, as it does limit your options in that price range.

Ok Re Meeting I'll post after the fact.
Re Amazon/eBay, people will come in with a print out of a ridiculous ad asking to meet the price. I point out the importance of buying from an authorized dealer vs not. 50% buy from me 50% do not care and don't.
The founder has worked for Case, Parker Edwards Schrade and Gerber before setting out on his own in 1991.
I do a lot of events outside of my medical store.a growing percentage ask if I have anything made in the USA. I think/know many would pay $10 more for that.

If you are looking at American made sharpeners how about DMT and the Spyderco Sharpmaker?

My meeting went well, they are heart and Sole American business owners. The factory was originally a case knife plant. Case was going to shut down the factory abandon all the workers machinery and materials in the current owners range financing and purchased it. Very day they produce American made products with American labor and American steel. Many of their knives are Damascus which comes from the Alabama Damascus steel plant not far from them.

Back