My Khuks are finally here. Pic heavy and Some Questions for the more seasoned H.I.ers

Ok, here are the pictures:
IMG_20140203_180346.jpg
b7kNURPV-HBK5hUIyBlNl1dqNT9-gULmg7BLojJxgnE=w320-h216-p-no

5KdAq7M7GjDLZAnAdMaw71OaXhRUNGQrn4b1xVJKsg4=w311-h216-p-no
DkuTxVObYwKIWOJTdgBYR0N5TqGXdjgMMHfaVMonw0o=w304-h216-p-no

lKNTuWl8yA0qEOfKoyLlKbhwC95hBhZ8tikeWdqY1w8=w401-h225-p-no
z1emdanuEkNNzgqC1slD3RDnxldNnHaHt9wWVDEu42M=w401-h225-p-no

Here are my questions gentleman:
1) I bought this over the forum...I know it looks fantastic, but I want to know what kind of khuk is it?

IMG_20140203_180424.jpg
IMG_20140203_180436.jpg

IMG_20140203_180442.jpg

IMG_20140203_180504.jpg

and the second is...
what kind of tang does the KLVUK have?...

Last edited:
Almost looks like a Hanshe but wait for wiser folks than I. Sure has a giant cho on that puppy.

The Klvuk has I think what they call a Rat Tail, it goes the length of the handle and is peened on there at the butt cap. It's a very solid set up. I used to be a full tang guy but the Rat Tails are quite beefy and I believe important to the balance of some blades.

lol I know it was a knife I had to turn down then came back looking for :D glad you got it , its a bhojpure i think

Man you must have a good eye, I can't see any markings clear enough to tell. If it's Amtrak, that would be wicked cool.
Looks too new to me to be Amtrak but maybe it's been very well loved and taken care of.

I can't remember the name, but bhojpure may be right.
I do know that by the UB marking, it is not made by Amtrack kami. He has not worked for HI in a very long time.

That would be my guess with the rounded spine and drop. Almost Hanshee but not enough drop? Both on right seem the same but no keeper on one?

Not enough drop? Not sure why the one would need a keeper either, all are chiruwa full tang unless it's just to keep the butt cap on.
Maybe you better send me your Hanshe as a learning educational tool so I can get half as smart as yall? Just an idear that popped into my head ya know. In looking back I found one they called the boomerang, very much Hanshe like too.

Thanks guys,

It does have the general shape of a m43, bt it has a bigger drop, a rather large one.

thanks for the possitive id on the bhojpure.

Samsher maybe?

I saw the flyflot and figured it must be Amtrak but perhaps someone else was using that symbol for a time?

thanks for the possitive id on the bhojpure.

That was not a definitive answer.
Some of these non regular offerings give me fits because I don't see them often enough to remember.
What did the seller tell you it was?

The un-identified Khukri is a Variation on an H.I. M43. It looks a lot like some WWII variants that I've seen posted before. As to what it was called when it was sold, I have no clue. An M43 variant is what I'd go with for now.

It's called a B-43 in this thread:

While not an M-43 per se, my B-43 is a nice specimen of the breed with two exceptions. These being the handle ring, which is really nice, and the extra large cho. For those who were not here in the early winter, I'll explain this "B-43". Shaila Kami made several each of two very distinct types of khuks, both of which were labeled "Malla". One, my type, was very reminiscent of a Bhojpure khukuri with a chiruwa handle. The other was very much like a type of bolster-less khuk made around the WWII era. They both had extremely large chos. They didn't stir up much exitement on the forum. They were all around 18" and 36 or so ounces. Mine set lonely for a day or so at an incredible price and I couldn't take it anymore. When I received it, I discovered it was one of the best feeling khuks I'd handled, though a little heavy for my liking. It became obvious it was essentually a heavy duty, very curvy, ring-handle M-43, especially when compared to my current Tirtha M-43. If this khuk lost 10 ounces form it's current 36, it would likely be my hands down favorite. It feels that good in hand. It's very forward heavy, but hangs in the hand wonderfully due to its full curve. I thought I'd share it with y'all. I hope you enjoy the photos. Take care.

Tirtha M-43 on top, Shaila B-43 on bottom.
M-43andB-43001.jpg

M-43andB-43003.jpg

Back