My Khuks are finally here. Pic heavy and Some Questions for the more seasoned H.I.ers

Sure unique and I can't get over how large that cho is, huge! Love the looks and shape of the blade.

That was not a definitive answer.
Some of these non regular offerings give me fits because I don't see them often enough to remember.
What did the seller tell you it was?

Hi, Karda,

Hi didn´t say, i think he said something like, he didn´t remember the name and that only two of them were made or something like that... , as I said, the blade looks pretty much like the m43, but the drop is much bigger, the handle is much shorter and it is bent...Although I have never seen one in person, it looks much like the wwii or salyan pictured on the khukuri dynamics.

I´ll post a couple pictures of the two together, the m43 and the unknown one.

it does look strikingly simmilar to the m43 posted before, but this one has a shorter handle and a ring... the handle is very nicely finished I must say...

Last edited:
It's called a B-43 in this thread:

LOL. THIS DOESN´T LOOK LIKE THE ONE I HAVE, IT IS THE ONE I HAVE NOW!!!!!!
THANKS BUNCH STEVE!!!!

I Probably bought it from jdk1 or whomever he sold it to... and yes he got that right!!!...it does feel better than the M43 which was my personal favorite and better than the CAK...it does feel fantastic...I will probably turn this one into my user...

The large Cho looked like a bad joke near the other 3 khuks I have, until I found I could use it to fix my lanyard...I´ll post pics as soon my internet connection improves.

The Current M43 style knife that H.I. makes is different from the ones that they made over 10 years ago. There was a thread posted last year about WWII era M43's and H.I. M43's. Here is the link: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1128977-New-project-WWII-MKII?highlight=m43 The pictures posted in said thread show a few different variations on the WWII M43. Handles with more or less curve then others, and some WWII Khukris with handle rings. . On page 2 I posted pictures of the 6th M43 that H.I. made. It looks a lot more like the M43's posted on page one of the thread, then it does to the current H.I. M43's.

Just a bit of history for you all. I think this variant is really cool. The larger Cho doesn't do it for me, but I wouldn't kick it to the curb for that. ;) The short curved handle is nice and those lines are great! It's a Modified M43 design, that's for sure.

You scored really well on that Variant, congrats!!

Tierraventura, Glad you like it:thumbup: The large cho is a bit odd, but even that couldn't take away from the graceful, sweeping blade and perfect handle. The handle actually came with a large blocky ring. I spent quite a bit of time refining the handle and reducing the ring, but I was thrilled with the results. It never saw use of any sort, partly because it was too heavy for my use and partly because I felt it need to be displayed. Shaila did an incredible job on it. From the ideal handle to blade proportions, to the slim spine, and sexy blade shape, he created a wonderful khuk. Even at 36 oz., the spine is a very traditional 3/8" IIRC. If a kami could reproduce it with a nice distal taper, bringing the weight down to the mid 20's, I think it would be a best seller. I called it a "B-43" because it looked like someone crossed an HI M43 with an old school Bhojpure (Bhojpure 43):) In profile, I always felt it was more M43 than the HI M43 model. Again, glad you're pleased with it. If you use it, be careful. With that weight and curve, that blade does not want to stop! Take care.

Be advised though that weight is a subjective thing.
Some users, due to physical fitness, aesthetics or other reasons prefer lighter khukuri.
Others prefer a midweight khukuri and some prefer a heavy chopper.

A lighter khukuri does not always equate to a better khukuri.
Believe it or not, the weight, spine thickness and taper of these heavy choppers sold here actually aid in chopping for those that can wield them.
Thinner, lighter khukuri are more weapon and flesh cutting instruments while heavy khukuri are made and meant for chopping wood.

I'll add that beyond the huge personal preference aspect, individual uses play a large part. I learned quickly that 36 oz. was too much for me. It wasn't a strength or size issue, but a "comfort" issue. Hard to explain, but a lot of weight just didn't feel right. Then after a couple of arm and shoulder surgeries, I really started to favor the light khuks. Now, My 25 oz. WWII is my heavy-weight and I have a 19 oz. khuk I absolutely adore. In the past I would have laughed at the thought of a 19 oz. khuk over 12":) It's very subjective and can change over time. I think a mid-twenties (23-26 oz.) khuk would appeal to quite a few people for general use, but only if their general use is the same as my general use:D Take care gents.

That B43 looks very beautiful, it looks to me to be like the old issued mkII of the world war era(which is my favorite model next to the M43). As for weight I prefer lighter weights since I am of smaller stature, don't mind heavier Khuks if I'm backyard chopping but if I'm out in the woods don't really want anything strapped to me heavier than 26 oz.

Back