my (limited)Talonite experience

Hey Will (Fennel), I finally sharpened my Talon. I just couldn't hold off anymore (it was still shaving, but not as cleanly as before). It certainly doesn resharpen nicely.

Again, great job!
biggrin.gif

------------------
iktomi

In case anyone is interested, and doesn't want to read through 355 posts in the "Big Thread", here is the latest on my experiences:

Two weeks now since my last sharpening. Since then, I have gone through two "recycling cycles" of cardboard with my Talon. I didn't keep up with how much I was cutting this time. Just that it was a bunch of cardboard and corrugated cardboard boxes. I cut with the Talon to the point it would no longer shave, then kept on cutting. For the rest of the time, it still seemed to eat through the cardboard like it was rrrrrreally sharp. Only on a couple of the flimsiest pieces of cardboard (that had gotten very wet in portions, then dried out) would bunch up/buckle in front of the edge. Everything else it just sliced right on through. No "sawing" required, in case that was a thought. After I finished that, I just stuck it back in the sheath and went on about my business. Later, I needed to cut up some vegetables for dinner, and it seemed to eat right through them like no problem. Admittedly, not a hard job, but... it worked. Still later, notching a broom handle (don't ask why, it was just something to do), it bit into the wood wonderfully.

I did notice in the last pieces of cardboard that it seemed to require maybe a little more pressure to initiate the cuts. But, nowhere near as much as what I have experienced with my 440V or M2 knives after they have gone "dull" (no longer shaving sharp). The only thing I'm wondering now is just how the 440V or M2 knives would cut after they have been allowed to go this far below shaving sharp. The Talonite sure does seem to slide right through things still. And the other thing is, I have noticed that even though it has gone through enough that it ISN'T shaving sharp anymore, there is still no light reflecting off the edge. In contrast, the 440V, when put through this much cardboard, had plenty of reflection of light from the edge, because it was so blunt. I don't recall checking the M2 blade like that.

So, anyway.... I guess there's not THAT much more to tell, but I just thought I'd add it, in case anyone cared.

------------------
iktomi

Tom, I certainly am disappointed that it makes a good knife alloy, because it is so damned expensive!!!
wink.gif

But, I'm not disappointed in the knife made out of it!
biggrin.gif

------------------
iktomi

Back