My new saw for cutting blade stock.

Scott Hanson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well, I finally broke down and bought a new saw for the shop. It's the Milwaukee Portaband 6232-21 with a Swag off road table. It will be replacing my Jet 5" x 6" horizontal/vertical bandsaw I've had for that past 15 years. The Jet has been a fairly decent saw it was just slow going when it came to sawing out blades, I had an economy model 5" x 6" horizontal/vertical saw I bought a few years earlier from Menards that I managed to burn up in about 3 years before I bought the Jet. Anyhow I put the saw and table together last night with a new Lenox 14 TPI bi-metal blade and tried it out, the new saw cuts least 3-4 times as fast as the Jet. I can push a 5/32" piece of cpm154 through it with a push stick with zero hesitation, it doesn't slow down a bit, not even on lowest variable speed setting. Speaking of variable speed, that is feature I'm glad I opted for with the new saw lower speed with a finer tooth blade for thin spacers and handle materials. The variable speed rating for the saw is 0-380 fpm or depending on what resource you looking at 420 fpm no load speed. What I found when playing around with it is its low speed setting is probably around 150-200 fpm and the high speed setting is probably about what it's rated at anywhere form 380-420 fpm. At any speed setting it should easily cut through any blade stock that I use in my shop, but on the high speed setting the work piece can get a little warm when making longer cuts, meaning if you cut the entire profile knife blank out you're probably going to have to wear gloves or dip it in water. I tried the saw on a 1/4" x 2" piece of angle iron and cut through that in pretty short order. Also pretty nice is it comes with a limited 5 year warranty. The only thing I don't like is, it's very loud, noise doesn't generally bother me but with this machine I think I'm going to be getting some hearing protection, worth it for the time it will save me. And lastly I will be building a stand for it. Anyhow not sure what to do with the old saw, probably put in the top of my shop and maybe re-power it down the road, it came with a 1/2 hp 1720 rpm motor and has 3 speeds 80,120 & 200, I will keep my eye out for a used 1 hp 3450 rpm motor to try on it, that should get it to where it needs to be power and speed wise.

The new saw.
IMG_1411.jpg

The old saw.

IMG_1412.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I've been considering something similar. How much? (if you don't mind sharing, that is)

Well, I finally broke down and bought a new saw for the shop. It's the Milwaukee
Portaband 6232-21 with a Swag off road table. It will be replacing my Jet 5" x 6" horizontal/vertical bandsaw I've had for that past 15 years. The Jet has been a fairly decent saw it was just slow going when it came to sawing out blades, I had an economy model 5" x 6" horizontal/vertical saw I bought a few years earlier from Menards that I managed to burn up in about 3 years before I bought the Jet. Anyhow I put the saw and table together last night with a new Lenox 14 TPI bi-metal blade and tried it out, the new saw cuts least 3-4 times as fast as the Jet. I can push a 5/32" piece of cpm154 through it with a push stick with zero hesitation, it doesn't slow down a bit, not even on lowest variable speed setting. Speaking of variable speed, that is feature I'm glad I opted for with the new saw lower speed with a finer tooth blade for thin spacers and handle materials. The variable speed rating for the saw is 0-380 fpm or depending on what resource you looking at 420 fpm no load speed. What I found when playing around with it is its low speed setting is probably around 150-200 fpm and the high speed setting is probably about what it's rated at anywhere form 380-420 fpm. At any speed setting it should easily cut through any blade stock that I use in my shop, but on the high speed setting the work piece can get a little warm when making longer cuts, meaning if you cut the entire profile knife blank out you're probably going to have to wear gloves or dip it in water. I tried the saw on a 1/4" x 2" piece of angle iron and cut through that in pretty short order. Also pretty nice is it comes with a limited 5 year warranty. The only thing I don't like is, it's very loud, noise doesn't generally bother me but with this machine i think I'm going to be getting some hearing protection, worth it for the time it will save me. And lastly I will be building a stand for it. Anyhow not sure what to do with the old saw, probably put in the top of my shop and maybe re-power it down the road, it came with a 1/2 hp 1720 rpm motor and has 3 speeds 80,120 & 200, I will keep my eye out for a used 1 hp 3450 rpm motor to try on it, that should get it to where it needs to be power and speed wise.

The new saw.
View attachment 1184349

The old saw.

View attachment 1184350

Congrats Scott. That kinda outfit (I have the Dewalt not the Milwaukee) has sure worked for me. I clamped it to the bench for a while, as I'd envisioned putting it away when not in use. After a while I just bolted er down. Its such a handy little rig, I never did put it away.

Congrats of the saw, I have had the same set up for 4 years and have had no issues. It is loud and I do keep some ear plugs next to it. I also find the optional food pedal control very helpful. For my use, the Lenox blades have been best. It does blow a lot of air and during a long cutting session in the winter, it freezes my hands. I use to to cut all kinds of things, an excellent addition to my shop.

Nice. I've been considering something similar. How much? (if you don't mind sharing, that is)
I paid $299.00 for the saw at Home Depot and got $25.00 off for signing up for the Home Depot card. The Swag table is the powder coated one with galvanized stand with free shipping for $144.00 the unpainted model table is $20.00 cheaper, I have an outside shop that isn't climate controlled and anything in it will rust if I'm not around, so that's why I got the power coated one.

Congrats of the saw, I have had the same set up for 4 years and have had no issues. It is loud and I do keep some ear plugs next to it. I also find the optional food pedal control very helpful. For my use, the Lenox blades have been best. It does blow a lot of air and during a long cutting session in the winter, it freezes my hands. I use to to cut all kinds of things, an excellent addition to my shop.
I thought about the foot pedal, then I decided to order a plug in on/off switch to mount on to front of the base. I mean have a propane space heater and a window A/C that I only use when it's really cold or hot outside.

I thought about the foot pedal, then I decided to order a plug in on/off switch to mount on to front of the base. I mean have a propane space heater and a window A/C that I only use when it's really cold or hot outside.
I often have both hands guiding the metal...if the saw binds or the blade breaks, a tap of the toe is quicker than having to take a hand off and find the switch. I use the same heating/cooling methods....anytime the ambient temp in the shop is 50 or lower the blast of cold air isn't fun.

I often have both hands guiding the metal...if the saw binds or the blade breaks, a tap of the toe is quicker than having to take a hand off and find the switch. I use the same heating/cooling methods....anytime the ambient temp in the shop is 50 or lower the blast of cold air isn't fun.
Does the toe switch stay in the on position or do you have to hold your foot on it constantly to keep the saw running?

Does the toe switch stay in the on position or do you have to hold your foot on it constantly to keep the saw running?
I have the powder coated table also...worth the additional $$. The foot switch is an on/off, I keep a spring loaded clamp on the on/off trigger on the saw, so the saw is "always on" and the foot pedal controls the power. When changing blades, I remove the clamp from the trigger.

Nice setup Scott, I've got a Milwaukee in mine and it's worked out great. I usually use the 18tpi, but I havent really found a good source for the blades.

Been using this same set-up since 2014. It's a bit loud now and the rubber on the wheels has cracked some, but it's still running great after five years of use. A foot switch is a must IMO and I use 18 tpi Lennox Bi-metal blades. I use it to cut synthetic materials as well.

ARLJeRs.jpg

Nice setup Scott, I've got a Milwaukee in mine and it's worked out great. I usually use the 18tpi, but I havent really found a good source for the blades.
Lenox bi-metal blades are the best I've found, Lowe's sells them, or you can order them on line I think from K&G finishing supply.

Thansk Scott, I need to pick some up. I've got to replace the pulley covers on mine, they rubber has cracked and split bad.

Back