My own round knife thread

There is currently one listed on an auction site claiming to be an old French one with a sign of a greyhound... Might research that. Thanks man!

That would be Vergez Blanchard. I started a thread about their round knives a while back. If it's vintage I'd definitely consider it. They have a good reputation for their pricking irons in particular.

That would be Vergez Blanchard. I started a thread about their round knives a while back. If it's vintage I'd definitely consider it. They have a good reputation for their pricking irons in particular.

hmmm, it is inscribed with 4medailles above and beneath the greyhound, if this is indeed a vintage vergez blanchard it is actually really worth the price... hmmmm...

What about customs makers here? I would think the shipping and tariffs may not be too bad for a small utility tool.

Well, you'd have to pay shipping and taxes for importing and I don't know any local smiths doing stuff like this. Alas, enough derailing...
I will take care of that problem once I got some more money again.

Not trying to exceed my permissions, but I will say this. I am making 6 round knives and I have only 2 hands....:rolleyes:

Chris

3 of 6 done! Not nearly as nice as Dave's blinged out with mosaics but preliminary performance tests are proving very promising.
mBEtcjv.jpg

The left one has stainless steel bolsters with Asiatic Water Buffalo scales. The other 2 are walnut finished with Tru-oil.

Dave, as always your experience and wisdom were spot on. The bolsters were a real pain to finish that far forward!
The center knife is the one I'm considering for my own pass around, barring any unforeseen occurrences. Maybe I should send it to Dave or Paul first to make sure it is sharpened properly! ;)
Chris

Good job Chris. What are the other two handles? That water buffalo sure poishes up nice. Yep those round knife blades stick out places othere knives don't for usre.

Better photo....
Ie5pPFP.jpg

Dave, the other 2 are walnut. Figured I'd keep things simple. The one on the far right is headed north. A gentleman from Alberta has been following my progress on these since I started the design stages. I think I'll make sheaths for the other 2 as I don't have a permanent work bench to leave them on.

Chris

Good deal. You can secure those sheaths with a snapped strap or I think Omega did one with a bowtie and a Sam Browne stud.

Caution: No sales here in the sheath discussion area.

Secondary, no sales by non Craftsman level members anywhere here.

Just a heads up. Not a warning or infraction, better to nip it now than later. :D

Agreed and understood Dwayne. Whilst I have your attention though, the stickies I've found regarding passarounds provide rules for the participants and provide very little information about possible rules for the host. Is there anything I need be aware of before I start my own round knife passaround?

Thank you,
Chris

A good template for a pass around is starting in horsewright's thread, especially so far.

Let me get a nights sleep on this because my eyes are crossing at the moment trying to stay awake :p

Right off my cautions here went there as well, no selling or pricing in the discussion forums and that is the basis for it all. Most of the rules are there to keep "honest people honest" so no temptation to keep the passaround object. Non responders in a pass around are banned after being given all opportunity to make it right. Some are even up on charges in court. Theft is theft.

Your responsibilities are to keep tabs on the progress and make sure each person keeps up their end of the deal, in other words pays for shipping and insurance because they are liable for losses till that package gets to the next tester.

More to come, I am yawning at every other word, sorry. :eek: More talk tomorrow. Goodnight!

Good deal. You can secure those sheaths with a snapped strap or I think Omega did one with a bowtie and a Sam Browne stud.
I did, but I wouldn't bother with this design if the goal is good retention. I can swing the blade inside the sheath so that the tips are exposed. Far better to have securing straps at the outside edges, but even then, the knife will dictate the design pretty closely imo. Might need to round the top of the sheath to more closely follow the spine so the straps keep the blade from lifting if you tug on the handle.

ImnOh55.jpg

4DJXgGI.jpg

I use mine like Dave, just as a desktop cover.

Finished a couple slips for 2 of the knives. They turned out well I think. The walnut handled knife won't come out unless you want it to and it takes some pretty vigorous upside down shaking to get the other to come loose(the bolsters make it at least half again heavier than the other).

rhc0iXB.jpg

2TaG3vC.jpg

Chris

Super nice! Dave put bolsters on mine and I gotta say, the added weight is really nice.

I love the sheaths too. So they are a friction fit? I need to make on for my new addition and I've got some ideas going. Yours look fabulous. :)

Back