My son wants a survival knife...Help, please.

Get a cold steel bushman and add sawteeth with a dremal

Even at $75.00 there is no reliable hollow-handle knife with saw-teeth. Anything you get at that price will more likely end as a fancy handle with a broken blade.

If what he wants is a knife to use at the Scouts meetings, there are several BSA approved Victorinox folding knives with the BSA logo. If he wants a BSA fixed blade, Helle makes the speiderkniven (Scout Knife).

http://www.worldknives.com/products/helle-speiderkniven-boy-scout-knife-he04b-2101.html

If what he wants is a hollow handle knife, the Cold Steel Bushman will do.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=714906&type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=AdWordsProductListings&WT.z_mc_id1=714906&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=A05F1990-74A6-DF11-907B-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

He can modify it at taste to add survival content, rope, bottom compass, and a cap. The sheath also has a pocket to add survival items. There are several online how-to guides on modifying the Bushman. He can turn it into a project if he is so inclined. If what he wants is something for "bragging rights", then he can add the saw-teeth with a Dremel, but the saw-teeth can eventually damage sheath's the plastic lining (not quickly, though). That is something to consider.

Last edited:
while there are a few good hollow handled survival knives, I would suggest getting him a knife that has a pocket on the sheath for a mini survival kit. One good one I know of is the Colt model 286. It doesn't have a sawback; but then again, those are almost worthless.

Why are we assuming he wants a hollow-handled Rambo knife? I don't know a fifteen year old that has even seen Rambo. I doubt I coiuld get any teenager I know to watch it without forcing them.

I chose a Mora for my 14 yoa and 10 yoa. Add a sheath with a firesteel, add some paracord. Real cool if that's what they want. Great knife and not much money.

Check out Bensbackwoods.com for the knives and JRE sheaths with firesteel loop.

I think the one he would like most would be an ESEE 3 or 4. Small, reliable, non-combat looking and practical. Unfortunately I can't find either new for less than $80. Again, check the for sale forums here. Every so often a few RAT/ESEE knives pop up.
RAT3
DSC00781.jpg

ESEE4
RC-4S-DT.jpg

Red Raven 6 makes a knock off of the Baley Knife........... :D
IMG_4004.jpg

Last edited:
How about getting him a cheap rambo style knife for $10, and give it to him. Then wait 2 hours till he comes back in with the knife in 2 pieces, then give him this.
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CN23243HC

I promise you, he will not break that, and that hollow handled nonsense will be driven from his head for now, until he discovers randall. I would also get a folding saw.

I'd show your son this thread and let him check out the knives listed. Never was into the hollow handled knives when I was younger, but I did like machetes. Got a 8" or 10" Old Hickory (1095 steel) made by Ontario when I was about his age. That thing made a great bush wacking/survival knife for me. :)

How about getting him a cheap rambo style knife for $10, and give it to him. Then wait 2 hours till he comes back in with the knife in 2 pieces, then give him this.

Because it is a waste of $10 to get him something that will break. If he is really wanting to start into knives, something of quality can easily be had for under 50.

If he is dead set on the hollow handle, the two options I would recommend have been stated. The Schrade and the Cold Steel Bushman. :thumbup:

most hollow handles "survival" knives are notoriously weak.

if you want to add kit to the knife, it's FAR easier to mount a pistol mag pouch or something similar to the sheath to hold that gear and go with a full tang knife.

however, Schrade makes some clones of the Chris Reeve Knives that are one piece, plus the cap, so they wouldn't have the problem of the weak join of the handle to the blade.

ESEE ofers pouches to fit the sheaths of their 5 and 6, but the same pouches can also be made to fit the sheaths on the 3 and 4.

i'd suggest a separate folding saw. saw teeth on knives are nasty stress raisers and not good for batoning with. while it's somewhat controversial, being able to baton with the knife is probably more useful than saw teeth.

get him a Mora, if he wants something bigger get him a good Machete. I'm 15 if that helps any.

Hey,

Very nice of you wanting to help out.

1) I must agree, hollow handles are going to be on poor knives in that range.
2) Saw-backs look cool and do little. (I got my first real fixed blade with one of those and was disappointed in short order.)
3) I've learned over the past several years a lot of the cool survival or military style knives out there are really only cool to look at.

I don't own a Mora personally but I have not found in my research anyone who has spoken poorly of them. I'm tempted to get one for myself just to see what all the fuss is about. I think the guys who have spoken concerning these are giving you very practical advice.

The folding saw (I think it was Tony) mentioned is an excellent idea. They are affordable and effective.

Thanks for your time and interest in these things. Good luck to your son in his endeavors.

God bless,
Adam

When I was in scouts I carried a SAK mostly. A few times a leatherman wave. I never carried any fixed blades. If I were to go again I would looking into ESEE 3 or 4 and SOG seal pup or USMC Ka Bar (really tough). Other knives to conciser though I haven't used them Ka-Bar Becker BK2 or a Mora.

You're getting some really good advice here. The fact is, he doesn't want a real "survival" knife. He wants a toy that he can show to his friends. But that's ok. This isn't about getting him what he needs. It's about getting him what he wants. If he's been a good boy then go with the Schrade.

But if he really wants a rig that will work under most circumstances for the rest of his life, a nice Mora, folding saw, and a Victorinox will serve him about as well in a survival situation as anything else at any price.

Something was mentioned about the Bear Grylls Knife...There is the Gerber Prodigy that I don't think has been mentioned. It is the predecessor ( and a tremendously better knife IMO) to the Bear Grylls knife. The Gerber BG knife is just a cheap gimmicky copy of the Prodigy that costs more money. The prodigy is a good size, good weight, decent steel and has a great sheath system IMO. They can usually be had in the $37 - $57 range. I used one for a while and never had any issues, a good knife for the money, but I traded it off a while back.

http://www.rockynational.com/2467_22-01121_Gerber_Prodigy_Serrated_Edge.html

Last edited:
Your a really good mom.... I would say + 1 on the folding saw, the first thing that came to mind when reading your post was the... ESKABAR, it was this knife because you said scouts....then I read "my 15yo son" and knew where hollow handle and saw back was coming from. That's ok, its what he thinks he wants. A year from now I bet his mind will change. I would say let him read our posts. See what he thinks. Googe the words eskabar knife or youtube eskabar knife Good luck!

my first survival knife, that served me over 10 years till it was stolen from the house, was a victorinox camper...fantastic knife! when that one was lost I upgraded to a swisschamp and love that too! I used the saw, A LOT! made some awesome shelters when I got bored as a kid and I took it to school every day! not that you can do that now.

For a fixed blade you can't go past a buck or becker, but frankly I think a SAK can do what is needed to be done in a survival situation and pull through with flying colors.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I would skip the hollow handle knife all together, most are sub standard, the good ones are well above your price point. My vote goes for the Ontario Pilots Survival knife. I had one at his age and had many adventures with that knife. I also learned how to start sharpening knives with the stone that came with it. Glad to hear your boy is doing well with Scouts & enjoys the outdoors.

Back