1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My Tomahawk Collection

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by DailyEDC, Nov 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DailyEDC

DailyEDC

Mar 14, 2015
    NCWA, d762nato, rockman0 and 6 others like this.
  2. FOG2

FOG2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Wow nice collection!

DailyEDC likes this.
  3. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    Damn! There is a significant amount of cash invested into that collection.

DailyEDC likes this.
  4. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Soooooooooo which is your "If I could only have one" hawk?

DailyEDC likes this.
  5. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I'm really liking the design on the second one from the bottom in the first picture, top row. Very neat design. Helluva collection, man.

I only have two hawks.. I don't know what I'd do with that many. Most of my walls would have puncture marks, haha.

6. popedandy

popedandy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Sweet!

7. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Nice. That is a spectacular collection.

8. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Nice RMJ's and Winkler's you have there brother!!!

9. USNA’66

USNA’66 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Spectacular collection... I admire the designs of the Winkler axes/hawks because of their SEAL/SF lineage. What are the parameters you use for deciding what to add or ignore for your collection... any criteria other than “tactical tomahawks”? I’d enjoy a conversation offline if you’ll send me your contact info....
    Thanks,
    Keith
    author of Ultimate Spy, SPYCRAFT,
    [email protected]

DailyEDC likes this.
  10. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Great collection !

DailyEDC likes this.
  11. Storm Crow

Storm Crow KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 12, 2006
    Very impressive collection there. :)

DailyEDC likes this.
  12. shaw11b

shaw11b Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2010
    Very nice but you’re missing a helm forge hawk!!!

DailyEDC likes this.
  13. DailyEDC

DailyEDC

Mar 14, 2015
    It depends on what I would be using it for. But if you're talking about general use, Winkler Combat Axe with Rubber handle for overall badassness.

MattinLA likes this.
  14. DailyEDC

DailyEDC

Mar 14, 2015
    I have a 15" Helm Wrecker with the spike.....and now that you've brought it up....I missed a handful of custom hawks that I had at different places...a bunch of random hawks that I forgot to include.... This picture was random and was just what I had with me at the time while doing some cleaning.

A few that I can think of right now...a few from the McCouns (father and son), 14" spike hawk from Miller Bros Blades, a few Gransfor Axes, and some others I can't think of.

15. DailyEDC

DailyEDC

Mar 14, 2015
    I forgot to include the Wrecker, which is one of the BEST! Love the Tero tuff or whatever the micarta like handle is made of...AND IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME seeing you on the show!!! My friends were like "What is this knife dork so excited about?" when I wouldn't let them change the channel. Seeing you eating that trailmix was the cherry on top...haha

shaw11b and Storm Crow like this.
  16. DailyEDC

DailyEDC

Mar 14, 2015
    send me a PM if you still want my contact info.

As for the requirements I use when selecting a hawk, it's based on mostly aesthetics. Although I acknowledge and thoroughly appreciate the design and thought process that went into making these tomahawks, although this collection contradicts it, I'm a practical person and the reality is that I will probably never actually need to use one of these for their intended purpose. I'm not in the military or law enforcement, but am a licensed contractor so I occasionally do have legitimate use cases where a tomahawk comes in handy. Just for fun, I've done small partial demolition work with my RMJ Loggerhead, Strider Crashaxe, Winkler Combat Axe, CRKT Kangee and some cold steel hawks, so I've probably put in more time with a Tomahawk and actually putting it to full use, than most, which has given me some perspective as to what works well, what I like, what gives me blisters, which ones have better balance and striking power, grip quality, durability, handle grip placement, etc.

In my opinion, Tomahawks serve a very specific purpose and I'm not in that target user group. For me, if I have a job that needs to get done, there's usually a much better tool for that job, than a tomahawk. And since I have to plan ahead, I will always have the tools I need or there is a Home Depot nearby. For example, I'll use a chainsaw or Axe if I need to cut or chop wood. If I needed to break through a cement wall, I would use a sledge hammer or any other purpose built tool.

They have come in handy for me while camping, but I'm the type of camper that brings my own wood to the campsite rather than rely on finding dead and dry trees to chop up to use in a campfire. Plus I'm a contractor so I always have a lot of spare wood, 2x4's etc I need to burn up. But even when I don't have extra wood, I purchase wood that I know is dry and will provide a nonfrustrating time while camping with family and friends. I go camping to relax, not to work more, but since SMORES are mandatory, there will always be some level of unavoidable work...haha

If I were a hardcore backpacker or camping/nature enthusiast, it would be a tossup between a tomahawk and a large chopper like a Busse.

shaw11b likes this.
  17. DailyEDC

DailyEDC

Mar 14, 2015
    How do you have thousands of messages or whatever the little icon under our username represents, but no reviews or feedback? You've one hundreds/thousands of transactions and not a single prick left feedback for you?

18. DailyEDC

DailyEDC

Mar 14, 2015
    I did pay retail & secondary prices for all of my hawks, but it was over the course of a few years so it lessens the blow.

19. USNA’66

USNA’66 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Thanks for taking the time to reply... I hope that you have continuing good fortune with your collection... Keith

20. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Good to know. I just scored a RMJ Little Bird (2015) of the X and will eventually check out the Winklers. Also have you chopped enough with the Combat ax to think it would do OK for general camp chores?
    Thanks