1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My turn on the knifemaking TV show

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Jason Fry, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Jason Fry

Jason Fry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2008
    I’m finally allowed to release this exciting news. I will be appearing on History Channel’s forged in fire. My episode airs next Tuesday, September 4, at 8 PM central. Hope some of y’all can watch it!

[​IMG]

2. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Congratulations!!! I'll be sure to watch BUT REMEMBER........."It's not what your knife will do to the (fill-in-the-blank), it's what the (fill-in-the-blank) will do to your knife.".........said everyone a gazillion times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yo Mama and Don Hanson III like this.
  3. J. Doyle

J. Doyle Bladesmith/Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 17, 2008
    I hope things start to turn around with this show. The last 5 or 6 episodes have really gone down hill, IMO. With the show format and testing, NOT with the contestants.

Seems lately the order of the day is EXTREME abuse (even more than usual) and just intentionally trying to break blades for 'good tv'. I'm fairly confident in saying even some of Mr. Nielson's own blades wouldn't fare so well in some of those tests.

Lately I've seen no test on FIF where a knife is even remotely close to the proper tool for the job. :thumbsdown:

4. Jason Fry

Jason Fry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2008
    Of course I can't say anything about that till after Tuesday, John. It'll be interesting to see how the final edits represent everything.

Yo Mama and Dawkind like this.
  5. Storm Crow

Storm Crow

Apr 12, 2006
    Congrats, and looking forward to seeing it! :)

Dawkind likes this.
  6. J. Doyle

Feb 17, 2008
    I certainly can understand that. I'll be watching. Best of luck!

Dawkind likes this.
  7. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    Hope you did well Jason, as crazy as that ordeal might be. I'll be watching.

Dawkind likes this.
  8. Carl Colson

Carl Colson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 4, 2016
    Good luck Jason be confident!!

Dawkind likes this.
  9. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Congrats and good luck on the testing. When Jay does that antler chop man that tears up some blades. It seems like he really gets into the testing/beating them for strength and durability.

Dawkind likes this.
  10. J. Doyle

Feb 17, 2008
    Except that really doesn't tell us anything about strength or durability. It tells us that the producers strive for broken/damaged blades for drama.

Massive sudden impact loads with the side torque/twisting that he adds are neither predictable nor repeatable so its not a valid test.

There are many fine high quality blades that wouldn't survive that.....including his own, I'll wager.

Dawkind and protourist like this.
  11. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    congrats and we hope you did well !

Dawkind likes this.
  12. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    I'll be watching Jason it's a lot of fun to see guys that I "know" from Bladeforums.
    Congrats on being on the shows!

Dawkind likes this.
  13. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Sweet!!!
    Will watch, for sure!!!

Dawkind likes this.
  14. Grouser1741

Grouser1741

Apr 17, 2018
    I won't miss you, I don't miss a single one. Probably the only show me and my wife are passionate about watching together. Good luck and have fun.

Dawkind likes this.
  15. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    I’m still amazed that nobody’s been hurt doing the testing.

Hoss

d762nato, Dawkind, Yo Mama and 2 others like this.
  16. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    Will be watching with interest.

Dawkind likes this.
  17. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Didn't they point out that Mr. Baker got a small cut on his Pinkie from a sharp tang burr...And I've wondered about Mr. Marchidas shoulder injury perhaps from swinging a heavy blade through tough animal carcass???

Dawkind and DevinT like this.
  18. Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

Feb 17, 2016
    I'll be watching and hope you win Jason!

Dawkind likes this.
  19. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Making time to watch tonight. Good deal! :thumbsup:

Dawkind likes this.
  20. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    I will watch it, I watch every week.

Dawkind likes this.