My umnumzaan wad taken from me last night, now on its way back!

Hello everybody,

A few of you may remember me posting about how I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first ever crk, a brand new umnumzaan.

Well it arrived on time and has been my absolute favorite blade since then, I don't think I've ever handled such a beautiful piece of kit in my entire life. I've been carrying it every waking moment since I purchased it, every moment that is except for as I type this, and the reason for that is because it was taken from me last night.

Yesterday evening, my girlfriend, her father and I decided that we wanted to visit the local Halloween festivities being put on by the PNE (for those that do not know, this is a large national fair in my area.

Upon getting our tickets and entering the fair, as normal, this time on the other side of the ticket office was several rows of tables and at least 15 security officers. I'd like to point out that I've been here many times before, and have never had to submit to a search before entry. Well during the preceding pat down, my knife is discovered in my front pocket, and Quickly examined and thrown into a plastic tote. I was then given some very obscure instructions about how to get it back and was sent on my way.

This morning, I called the fair and was told that I had to submit an email inquiry, because for some reason she wasn't able to determine anything over the phone.. after sending the email, I got a very fast reply saying that it the email had been forwarded to the "public safety department" and that they would contact me at their leisure to make further arrangements.

8 hours later I still haven't heard a thing and I'm starting to get fairly concerned, I'm unable to find any details on this public safety department, and I'm worried that my knife is in the pocket of some employee.

There is no way that I can afford to replace that knife, I had intended to carry it every day and one day gift it to ny son. Bit that is looking more and more unlikely as time passes. I'm beside myself, at loss as to what I can do, so I figured I'd post up here and see what you all had to say.

Thanks for listening to my rant
-Will Swift

Last edited:
Don't ever EVER surrender your knife in an instance like this. Just politely say I wasn't aware of the no knife policy and I will go put it in my vehicle. It is a hassle of course but saves you your knife.
Unfortunately your knife is most likely gone, and the statement from the department will be that there is no way to id your knife and prove ownership. Sorry for your lose.

I would raise hell to whoever I needed to if I were you. I apologize if that seems to be common sense.

Secondly, and I don't mean to offend you, I would NEVER let someone take a knife from me like that. If it came down to it, I would absolutely leave the venue and put my knife somewhere else. There are some slippery hands in many areas of public security.

I hope you do get it back. That really sucks.

Don't ever EVER surrender your knife in an instance like this. Just politely say I wasn't aware of the no knife policy and I will go put it in my vehicle. It is a hassle of course but saves you your knife
Unfortunately your knife is most likely gone, and the statement from the department will be that there is no way to if your knife and prove ownership. Sorry for your lose.

Exactly.

NEVER Surrender your things, just say sorry didn't know and leave. I advise you slowly save for a replacement, as chances of recovery seem ever so slim.

From my cold dead hands.........that's when a rent-a-cop gets my Zaan. :p

Sorry about your loss, but you should have never surrendered it. I would eat the $15 entrance fee and be on my way.

Don't ever EVER surrender your knife in an instance like this. Just politely say I wasn't aware of the no knife policy and I will go put it in my vehicle. It is a hassle of course but saves you your knife.
Unfortunately your knife is most likely gone, and the statement from the department will be that there is no way to id your knife and prove ownership. Sorry for your lose.

This...

From my cold dead hands.........that's when a rent-a-cop gets my Zaan. :p

Sorry about your loss, but you should have never surrendered it. I would eat the $15 entrance fee and be on my way.

+1 on this. I have walked through security many times with lots of knives. When they ask to see it...they see it...touching is another matter...especially a Zaan. If they want to touch it...I'm going out the way I came in. Monday morning quarterback statement I know...but I'm REALLY attached to any/all of my knives. Most of them cost more than that security guard makes. You'll probably need to go over everyone's heads to get answers...but it is a Zaan afterall. Keep going over their heads until they all get athletes scalp...the squeaky wheel gets the grease. GL

Very sorry to hear, and hope you get it back. Don't give up, and go down there if you can.

You learned a very expensive lesson. Start saving now in case you don't get it back. Needless to say, don't ever make the mistake again.

They can only detain your equipment if you choose to continue to enter the establishment.

If they believe otherwise, attempt to leave immediately. If security detains you, call the police and explain that you didn't know it was a no knives area and that you are choosing to depart rather than surrender your knife.....however security is detaining you for no good reason = kidnapping (no crime, trying to leave as would be the other choice...otherwise they could make you surrender whatever items were on your person, never to be seen again...)

I say this more for the next time you run into this situation, rather than trying to second guess you on the back end.

I've made mistakes too. Just the other night, I poked my finger with the tip of an knife using a lansky.

Last edited:
Did you have the option of turning around real quick and going back to your car to stash the umnum? As soon as I would have entered and saw the patting down, I would have turned around. I'm sorry to hear this though, I'd be sick..keep us updated. Good luck on getting it back.

wtf.gif

I feel sick just thinking about losing a knife that way, especially something expensive like a Umnum. No way in hell i would give my knife up, i would have just left instead of surrendering my knife. I hope it gets settled and you get your knife back.

I am sorry to hear about this. I wish you good luck to get it back.
I'm reminded of a story my friend told me about Greyhound trying to take a Mans knife that was also boarding the bus, and he argued "no way are you taking my knife" numerous times (perfectly legal to carry) and they ended up letting him and the knife board.

Unfortunately there was no vehicle that I could have put it in, I came via public transit, which would have been a 4 hour round trip. I thought about leaving it in a bush or something somewhere, but that did not seem much better...

Very brutal man. I would say turn around and put it in your car, but you've stated that was a no go.

Keep your head up, email and call daily until you get your knife back or compensation.

Good luck:thumbup:

No one has the right to take anything off you, especially not Micky Mouse cops. You can tell them where to go and always should any time they try to play big.

I really hope you get that knife back some how some way but to be honest it's gone....right into someones pocket. :thumbdn:

Granted, I am not aware of exactly where this occurred and the specific circumstances around the incident.

However, this smells of an illegal search/ seizure.

As others have stated, in this instance, you have the ability to refuse a search...just bear in mind that your refusal to comply with the search may not allow you into the event.

I'm not presuming your are ignorant to the law, but I always recommend that people are very familiar with the laws of their 'land' especially when it comes to knives. firearms, etc. These rights, privileges, etc. are being attacked daily...being familiar with the law allows you to be respectful yet assertive in your approach to these situations.

Good luck in retrieving the knife however, most likely the knife is in the hands of someone who isn't even aware of what they have :thumbdn:

That sucks, and yeah, never give up your knife, gun, weapon,,etc. it can be your life.

That said, cause a ruckus for everyone involved. Don't give up. And don't just send emails. Call every hour. Keep a record of who you talk to and when. Go down to the office every day if you need to. Start yelling, throw a temper tantrum. There will be records of who worked that day. It's not just a knife, it's your son's birth right. it's the principle of the thing. Security is supposed to keep us safe, not steal personal belongings. Unleash the dogs of war until you get it back.

Back