My umnumzaan wad taken from me last night, now on its way back!

What a shame.

Don't just give up. File a police report if you have to. I know I would.

Good luck man.

Yup. File a police report. If you have renters/home owners insurance contact them. My renters insurance covers loss/theft of anything any place.

You didnt break a law. You had a choice in the matter and chose to give your knife to someone without reason. It sucks, but I think it will be highly unlikely you get it back. Law enforcement may or may not care in this situation, as it wasnt exactly stolen, but its definitely worth a shot

Last edited:
Man that sucks. I carried a sebenza for 10 months. It was an awesome knife but in the back of my mind there was a little voice telling me that if I loose it I can't afford to replace it and I'd be out $438(CA sales tax). So I sold it and invested the money elsewhere. I cant imagine how you must feel. Dont give up though. Keep searching for your knife!

That sucks, Over my dead body I would have told him,then put it back in the car. I would never surrender my knife to a cop real or fake especially if I was legally carrying it. I would rather spend a week in Cook County Jail then lose any of my CRK's

Maybe a good lesson for all here. In today's world, at large public venues, a search is becoming more common. Carrying a much less valued knife may become something to think about. Let us know your outcome.

Don't ever EVER surrender your knife in an instance like this. Just politely say I wasn't aware of the no knife policy and I will go put it in my vehicle. It is a hassle of course but saves you your knife.
Unfortunately your knife is most likely gone, and the statement from the department will be that there is no way to id your knife and prove ownership. Sorry for your lose.

Yeah, I have been known to go back to my car to leave my knife in the GC for a $30 kershaw before. I definitely wouldn't have left either of my sebenzas....sorry for the loss bro.

Of its still open daily GO BACK! Ask to speak to the head security officer, if he doesn't help then ask to speak to his boss. If there were no signs posted and the security was after payment and entrance giving you no choice but to proceed I believe that you have legal action.
Do not give up, BE POLITE and be stern when necessary. The squeaky wheel does get the grease, make sure that they know that you will keep showing up and will keep calling, that you'll continue to speak to the next boss until you get someone who cares- or at least has to pretend to care.

Good luck to you and don't let this terrible event get you down. Learn from it and fight to change it.

Man that sucks. Badger them until it's easier for them to go find your knife than to keep putting up with you. I'm serious, be relentless. Call every freaking day. You didn't break any law's and you should keep reminding then of that. Becoming a huge pain in their butts is your only chance. That's total BS

....I thought about leaving it in a bush or something somewhere, but that did not seem much better...

LOL, that's exactly what I did a couple of months ago while vacationing in Europe. Granted it was a frn UKPK and not my Umnum. It just took me a few days to get used to the fact that I was going to get searched Everywhere we went. You should have seen me at the Eiffel Tower. After waiting in line an hour, I finally realized what was going to happen. So we had to leave our place in line and I went strolling through a nearby park. I found a nice little bush and just stashed it. Thankfully it was still there when I returned. Unfortunately I didn't learn my lesson and had to do a repeat a few days later at the chateau versailles:thumbdn:

Maybe a good lesson for all here. In today's world, at large public venues, a search is becoming more common. Carrying a much less valued knife may become something to think about. Let us know your outcome.

I agree with this comment, however, something is amiss here-- carrying a less expensive knife is not the answer to the injustice handed out to you. Of course, the best course here was for you to have gone without the knife since the event dictated what your actions should have been -- a large and security laden event should mean to all of us not to carry firearms or knives. Even if we are within the law, and/or have a permit to carry, some places and events restrict carrying. Professional sporting events are one such example in most cities; weapons of any type are prohibited and there are usually no facilities to store the items while you attend the event. In court, your weapons are taken and put inside a secure box with you having at least some control, but this is an impossibility at large events as you described. Though these rules are restrictive to our personal security, they are what there are, even though they are unfair within the wider sense of the law...

Again, your best bet was to retreat from the premises and forfeit your expense of tickets or whatever. Getting a receipt and names would have been an option -- at least with a name or names you have someplace to start. Since this was private security, another option would have been to ask for a police officer to advise and write up the encounter; again, documentation would give you a starting point...

These are all 'after-the-fact' solutions, but ones we should all consider if ever caught in a similar situation. You must take the initiative here and demand answers. Small claims court is an option for you if you get no results from your inquiries. Don't let them get away with this BS until you exhaust all avenues of attack. I realize newspapers are not the friend to people who have tools which could kill someone, but they are the friend to freedoms and rights. Use that approach and contact someone at the newspaper who might be friendly to your cause; after all, giving up any rights has a snowballing effect on us all and newspaper people understand this at least...

There are more ways to attack this problem, but I'm through with my comments. Just DO NOT let it end until you are satisfied with the results. These security people have someone they are responsible to, and these folks do not like negative comments directed toward them, especially from their paying customers -- AND THAT MEANS YOU, AND ME ---- ALL OF US. Fight the good fight and let us know how it comes out. We all must learn to fight this kind of injustice that was inflicted upon you.....Cya

sorry to hear that. really sucks. I think it also bites that we law abiding citizens have our rights whittled away. I have some beautiful blades that are works of art and that's why i don't carry them to any event. i live in CA and the laws are basically no blade over 2 1/2" or some crap and law enforcement pretty much has the right to screw with you for any reason. "if you look suspicious" they can rip your car apart. i hope you get it back.

Just say no, what are they going to do ? The worst they can do is stop you going in, I don't really have much interest in places that make me feel like criminal just for wanting to enter the front door any way. I realise it's not always that simple when you take your kids somewhere or your on holiday and do actually want to go in to a place of interst, but still.

I got stopped at Taipei 101 with an ASP baton and Umnumzaan but I just shruged at the guy and said "and..." ? He didn't know what to say and just let me through. I realise that was largly incompetence on his side but really there is nothing he could do any way, he has no rights of arrest or the right to try to take anything from me. He can only call the real police or stop me entering and he couldn't even do that is seems. I have also been there when there was no security at all. :rolleyes:

On the way into a childrens concert "yo gabba gabba" I saw the metal detectors and it was too close to showtime. I stashed my delica in the bottom of our diaper bag real quick and it made it through.

Good luck getting it back, bummer of a story.

I would definitely go back and stash it in the car if I were you next time, but I bet you already are planning that.

Fwiw, Most homeowners or renters insurance deductible is higher than the cost of the knife in most cases. Or say you have a $250 deductible and claim a $500 knife, your rates for the next term could easily go up by the difference.

On the way into a childrens concert "yo gabba gabba" I saw the metal detectors and it was too close to showtime. I stashed my delica in the bottom of our diaper bag real quick and it made it through.

That's funny... Like DJ Lance gonna pop a cap in brobee's ass!

Instead of posting on a message board about how some hoser stole my zaan, I'd be posting how one tried to take it. How do you survive in the GTA with no car? Get your butt down there tomorrow and raise cain until you get results. What's the provincial definition of theft?

Instead of posting on a message board about how some hoser stole my zaan, I'd be posting how one tried to take it. How do you survive in the GTA with no car? Get your butt down there tomorrow and raise cain until you get results. What's the provincial definition of theft?

:thumbup:
No doubt! Screw the phone calls. Go down there in person and demand satisfaction!

Back