Mystery GAW/Challenge

As a new member of the forums, I’m excited for this! I don't have many knives, but one that I've used on and off over the last few years that is not a carry for me is my Opinel No. 7. Just a rock solid knife that I've used from roofing work on my house, to slicing the kids' lunch in the kitchen. Incredibly versatile and bullet proof. No blade play or ill-effects from tons of use and razor sharp - I love the steel on the carbone series. I'm looking forward to having it as a regular carry for a week, shall likely begin this weekend!

BRad07o.jpg

I'll play.

I'll carry my Aitor Castor mediana. It's the very definition of a budget knife. The manufacturer omitted many of the features that knife nuts like, but strictly speaking are unnecessary for a functional tool. No bolsters, no shield, no swedges. It doesn't have a nail nick, nor is it even stamped!

46371871881_526a4ef2f3_b.jpg

Ok, here’s my entry. A few years ago when I was just getting into traditional knives I began watching Stefan Schmalhaus videos on traditional French knives. There was a company named Perceval which was doing modernish variations on traditional knives. I really liked a couple of the patterns and asked for them as gifts for Christmas. I received the Le Francais. The other, the L-08 was a Father’s Day gift from my wife. I usually only carry these on special occasions when I know I’ll be eating a nicer meal at home or out at a restaurant. I used to carry one of them all the time, but as I got into traditional slip joints these became more exclusively special occasion knives. But I like the idea of carrying one for a week straight! I’m going with the L-08 because it was a gift from my wife and was designed by my favorite French maker, Roland Lannier.

844537D7-23DA-44AB-8B6A-C6CD01528117.jpeg 5982E045-7519-4E37-8665-84304371F6DB.jpeg

15835880570871148788348.jpg
My entry will be this old imperial USA Barlow. I've had it for quite some time, but since it was my great grandmother's I've always avoided carrying it for fear of losing it. I've been trying to come up with an excuse to pocket it and this is it! Thanks Mike for a wonderful opportunity...

I'll play, thanks. I was thinking that I couldn't, as I fly out west tomorrow and I don't ever check luggage. But then I remembered that my father had a Buck 110 that I'll be picking up as a memento. I gave him the knife back in the early eighties. I bought it at the same time as the first 110 that I bought myself. I haven't pocket carried the brass-bolstered 110 in years, let alone daily for a week and a half. It should be interesting. I'd better wear my jeans. That said, I'm mostly going to be doing paperwork indoors, so I don't expect it to get much of a workout, but it should be interesting to see whether a half-pound brick in my pocket will start to feel normal or not.

Edit to add ... The brick rides great. If I'm drawn, please send my prize to@ModocED

Last edited:
Okay, Mike, I've decided on a knife:
ifddTfl.jpg

A Case peanut SFO from about 30 years ago, with cocobolo scales. My first and only peanut, but it is about the size of the knives I used to regularly carry. (A generous gift from a friend on the Porch.) The last couple of years, I have taken to larger knives, and when I carry the peanut, it is usually in addition to something larger, like a trapper. But for this experiment, I'm kicking my Laguiole out of my pocket [:eek::eek::eek:], as well as the other usual suspects (Opinel, trapper, lambsfoot), and will tote the peanut exclusively for a week, starting today.

If I win (been on a roll lately!), please send my prize to JTB_5 JTB_5 . Thanks!

What a great GAW ! I’m not in since I can’t carry the same knife normally more then a few hours lol j/k :p
Seriously though good luck to all the contestants and a big thanks to a Crazy Canuck :thumbsup: I’ll be lurking and hoping the best man or girl wins :)

Great idea for a giveaway. I'm going to carry this one. It's a great knife but I never really connected to it. In fact, I tried to sell it a few days ago - fortunately no one bought it. I polished up the blades today and will carry it for the coming week to see what happens. Will it be back on the chopping block or take a place in my rotation?

5y93rQX.jpg

If chosen, please (also) send the prize to my friend, @Modoc ED
ED had a procedure recently and is recovering, I'm sure a new knife will speed the process.
So, what knife to carry for a week? I thought maybe a Case Texas Jack because I hardly ever carry mine. I usually grab the Medium Stockman which is the exact same knife with an extra blade. I also considered my Case Large Stockman that is sitting in my drawer practically brand new. Not sure why it doesn't get more attention. But then I saw my GEC #71 Bullnose. I sing the praises of this knife as a "Best Buy", yet hardly ever carry it. Once again, I'm not sure why. So, I will carry the GEC #71 exclusively this week and it will carry out all my cutting duties. I already started by cutting up an apple and slicing up some tri-tip. Who knows, maybe it will become my favorite carry of all time, although it has stiff competition with my Lambsfoot knives. Should be a fun week...

I am going to carry this stock Opinel #8 for the week (I did re-profile the edge to 30 degrees inclusive)

I like JohnDF JohnDF ’s idea that it will be my exclusive cutter, going to use it in the kitchen too. I’ll also carry a scout or SAK because Mike said we could :), but just use the tools, not the knife blade.

I never really connected with the Opinel and am not sure why. It will be fun to learn if I want to change anything about it, since they are easy to mod.

I'll play...if I win I'd like to send the prize and my best wishes for a speedy recovery to @Modoc ED also.

This SAK has languished for years, having been modded by me shortly after I joined BF. I believe it was Steve Rice, AKA, SRT that was doing some great work on SAKs and had posted several tutorials that I followed. I carried it for a while, then lost interest 'cause of all the other knives that have come after it.

I'll renew the relationship with it for the week and report back.
DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

Cool idea. I'm in. I have a lot to choose from. After looking into it, I'm going with me Northwoods Indian River Jack. I used to carry it a bit, then it somehow fell out of rotation. Anyways, I'm gonna break it out and pocket it this week.

View attachment 1298199
Update number one... Had the grill fired up to feed our personal drywall crew. Chicken thighs and a honking chunk of beef.
Awesome :)

I've been attacking the snacks today as well ;)

M8WyU8o.jpg

Some kielbasa and cheese

x19hiPC.jpg

My daily apple. I've been spoiled lately using slightly longer blades on apples, but the Texas Jack was still up to the task.

Great idea for a giveaway. I'm going to carry this one. It's a great knife but I never really connected to it. In fact, I tried to sell it a few days ago - fortunately no one bought it. I polished up the blades today and will carry it for the coming week to see what happens. Will it be back on the chopping block or take a place in my rotation?

5y93rQX.jpg

if it’s back on the chopping block I’ll be

Back