Mystery GAW/Challenge

Ok, sign me up, Mr. Mike :thumbsup:
I'll be totin' my custom spanish-made navaja. Not sure why I stopped carrying it. Probably because it lacks a lanyard hole and would ride sideways in my pocket, something I am not a fan of. This week will give me time to experiment with a couple different carry methods I've been thinking of trying.

IMG_20190524_5614 by Pine Moon, on Flickr

Great idea for a GAW, Mike, and I can't resist playing along. I'll also jump on the bandwagon and play for @Modoc ED if that's okay.

A few years ago, @WhittlinAway sent me this kind gift of a Western USA 6504 Whittler. (c.1979) You may notice it looks a lot like my avatar. (way back when I joined BF, I just arbitrarily selected from some images on my computer, thinking I'd change it from time to time, staying with the theme of old print catalog pictures. I got lazy and that never happened. I can't change it now or no one would recognize me ;)) This one was in such fine, new-old-stock shape, I put it aside thinking I'd keep it for a spare in case my old, almost worn-out version broke or something. I'm starting to realize that I have too many knives to wear any one of them out, and they will all outlive me, so I'll take this opportunity to carry and use this nice little knife. Maybe I'll even try a little whittling this week, but no promises. :D
KEBmv6f.jpg

Hqw5HlW.jpg

Try the safety pin, it's a game-changer. :cool::thumbsup:
Good to see you recommending this, John, and I can give a testimonial that it's a marvelous carry method. I learned it from redsparrow redsparrow (thanks, James :)). All of the pants I wear often have a safety pin forming a little "pocket sheath" in the left front pocket, and it stays there through the laundry, hanging in the closet, walking 5-6 miles per day.

I've been tempted to try that too John, but I'm always worried it'll open and poke me in the leg!
Mike, I think I've been using the safety pins in my pants pocket for at least 2 years and have only experienced your "nightmare scenario" once! :eek::thumbsdown: To me, it has been well worth it! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

I've been tempted to try that too John, but I'm always worried it'll open and poke me in the leg!

Good to see you recommending this, John, and I can give a testimonial that it's a marvelous carry method. I learned it from redsparrow redsparrow (thanks, James :)). All of the pants I wear often have a safety pin forming a little "pocket sheath" in the left front pocket, and it stays there through the laundry, hanging in the closet, walking 5-6 miles per day.

Mike, I think I've been using the safety pins in my pants pocket for at least 2 years and have only experienced your "nightmare scenario" once! :eek::thumbsdown: To me, it has been well worth it! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT
I've only been using it for about 6 months, but I haven't had one pop open on me yet.
I use a pretty strong safety pin and pinning it in my pocket is now a daily routine, like putting my wallet in my pocket, it's just habit now.

Okay, Mike, I've decided on a knife:
ifddTfl.jpg

A Case peanut SFO from about 30 years ago, with cocobolo scales. My first and only peanut, but it is about the size of the knives I used to regularly carry. (A generous gift from a friend on the Porch.) The last couple of years, I have taken to larger knives, and when I carry the peanut, it is usually in addition to something larger, like a trapper. But for this experiment, I'm kicking my Laguiole out of my pocket [:eek::eek::eek:], as well as the other usual suspects (Opinel, trapper, lambsfoot), and will tote the peanut exclusively for a week, starting today.

If I win (been on a roll lately!), please send my prize to JTB_5 JTB_5 . Thanks!

You went small, and I went big. That's a really nice peanut. I gave one to my wife to replace a knife she had confiscated by TSA. It really is a handy little knife.

Thanks for thinking of me.

- GT

I've only been using it for about 6 months, but I haven't had one pop open on me yet.
I use a pretty strong safety pin and pinning it in my pocket is now a daily routine, like putting my wallet in my pocket, it's just habit now.
After a couple years of using a safety pin to form a sheath out of a corner of my RFP I finally had to upgrade to a couple of stitches. I never had a pin open accidentally but one pulled thru the flimsy pocket material. Now I only use a pin temporarily until I can sow the 2-3 stitches it takes to make a permanent sheath out of the pocket's corner.
I found I can comfortably carry a larger knife when it stays upright rather than when one lays sideways in the pocket.
Sorry for the derail, just want to make pocket carry as safe and convenient as possible.

Great idea for a GAW, Mike! And a great knife choice, too! I love the Case Texas Jack, but I don’t carry mine as often as I should, either.

That said, I have a few other knives in mind for this (plus, I carried my Texas Jack just last week for @Jack Black‘s Random Tuesday thread), so I’ll make a selection by tomorrow and post it here once I’ve decided.

If chosen, please (also) send the prize to my friend, @Modoc ED
ED had a procedure recently and is recovering, I'm sure a new knife will speed the process.
So, what knife to carry for a week? I thought maybe a Case Texas Jack because I hardly ever carry mine. I usually grab the Medium Stockman which is the exact same knife with an extra blade. I also considered my Case Large Stockman that is sitting in my drawer practically brand new. Not sure why it doesn't get more attention. But then I saw my GEC #71 Bullnose. I sing the praises of this knife as a "Best Buy", yet hardly ever carry it. Once again, I'm not sure why. So, I will carry the GEC #71 exclusively this week and it will carry out all my cutting duties. I already started by cutting up an apple and slicing up some tri-tip. Who knows, maybe it will become my favorite carry of all time, although it has stiff competition with my Lambsfoot knives. Should be a fun week...

Excellent choice, John! I think the #71 Bull Nose is absolutely the best bang for your buck when it comes to GEC knives, and it’s one of my favorite knives. I have a few that I carry all the time, and a couple “backups” still waiting for some pocket time. :rolleyes: :D

I don't have a picture handy but I think I'm going to start carrying my second hand, modified Schrade third generation congress stockman whittler thing.
The previous owner sharpened it with what appeared to be concrete at about 70 MPH.
I cleaned up and sharpened it to be a whittling knife but eventually it was pushed out by something else.

It'll be fun to carry it again.

My selection:
gPa9mcp.jpg

I’ve actually never carried it. Bought this for my wife before we were married (everybody should have at least one pocket knife...). She carried it for a bit, but it has just been sitting in my knife drawer for a few years now. Still had the factory edge on it and was still mostly sharp. Took it to the stones anyway this evening and erased the micro-bevels. Looking forward to pocketing it; it’s a beauty:
3sU4Iyc.jpg

Great idea for a GAW !!!
I’m new to the traditional side of the forum here, so not an entry, but still wanting to play.
Couple here don’t see much carry time
Western from my younger days
Imperial BSA Cub Scout
An a Gerber steel to keep em keen
image.jpg

I have posted before how much I like my Grohmann slimline and yet I have never used it. It just sits above my desk on a shelf. So I will take this opportunity to carry it and give it some well deserved pocket time.
I bough it in person at their factory in Nova Scotia. I asked if they had seconds so the front person went inside and after a while came out with this one at 50 % off. I still don't know why is a second ( even after the employee showed me some supposed minor flaw). Looks just fine to me. :)
o3lFAes.jpg

fp74xbC.jpg

JeStcq4.jpg

My two Grohmans on top of a Nova Scotia lighthouse :D
xsbx2QH.jpg

Back