Mystery GAW/Challenge

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Crazy Canuck, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Dschal

Dschal

Mar 18, 2016
    Great GAW Mike! Congratulations to the winners, who have some wonderful, if difficult, choices to make.

2. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Speaking as an Australian I wholeheartedly congratulate all SIX winners...gotta love that.
    Also the Chocolate Wheel is an all Aussie invention (we do love a raffle) so your computerised drawing gizmo is a winner in itself...its as fair dinkum downunder as the blowfly vomit on Irwins Akubra!
    Cheers All...might have to pinch this idea...

3. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Congrats to all the winners! The whole week was a blast. Thanks, Mike, for a chance to be a part of it.

4. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Congrats to the winners! And Thank you mike this has been one for the record books in my opinion, great fun! Thanks!

5. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
  6. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Congrats to the winners and thanks for a great GAW. It was alot of fun :)

7. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007
    Fun giveaway!!
    Congrats to the winners.

Thanks to Crazy Canuck for a rousing giveaway thread!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  8. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Have the winners selected their knives yet? My first choice would have been the Bark River, followed by the A Wright Ettrick.

chuck4570 and Wild Willie like this.
  9. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    We're just waiting on Ed at the moment. Given his health I'm sure he has other things going on, not to mention having to pick from such a cornucopia of prize options.

10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
  11. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Beautiful GAW, Mike. Congrats to the winners.

12. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    #6 the 73 was selected for Ed. Great choice @JohnDF and everyone who participated in John's poll.

Next up, let's hear from @JTB_5 for his choice :D

Pinemoon, JohnDF, Wild Willie and 6 others like this.
  13. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    Alrighty. So here's a bit of how I've been thinking about it, before I make the final choice.

The GEC trapper was certainly appealing (I love GECs), and would have been hard to pass up, so I'm glad Ed got that one, because it gave me more reason to try something a little different. I was intrigued by the Bark River because I've wanted to try a small fixed blade, but I think it would be a little bit too small for me to enjoy. I've been wanting to try a white bone and I like trappers, so the Case trapper had some appeal, but I haven't had much success when I've tried multi-blade knives, and that makes me hesitate on that one. I had a Case tribal lock for a brief period of time and enjoyed it so much I ordered a custom zulu to replace it. I also love micarta, so the black Case tribal lock is very appealing to me. I also love wood, especially highly figured wood with lots of character. I've never owned a Queen or a split back whittler, and Queen knives aren't being made anymore, whereas Case knives will always be available.

All of that to say: I'm going with #8: the Queen #48 Whittler in D2, American walnut covers!

14. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    And thank you again, Mike, for such a fun and generous giveaway. I really had a great time, and feel humbled to receive such a nice prize.

Cutfinger, Pinemoon, JohnDF and 4 others like this.
  15. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Great choice Joshua! I'll shoot you a quick PM. Thanks again to Vince for playing along and dedicating the win. I agree with everyone else that he needs to go get a lotto ticket ;)

And now to hear from Dan! @CelloDan :D

Pinemoon, CelloDan, JohnDF and 5 others like this.
  16. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Great choice! Lot of good ones to choose from. :cool::thumbsup:

17. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Excellent choice, it's definitely a beautiful knife. :cool::thumbsup:
    I think we could have a fun thread just posting what individuals would pick and why.

JTB_5, chuck4570, Pinemoon and 3 others like this.
  18. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Congrats to Ed and the Porch and Joshua for their fantastic choice of knives. :thumbsup::)

Last night I checked before going to bed and Joshua had not still posted his choice.

I had a harder than usual time falling asleep :D

Then around 2 am I get up to the bathroom and checked my phone and Joshua had picked his.... now it’s my turn ... and I just sat there on the toilet pondering things forever :confused: ... so many good choices ....:confused::D

I was torn between the bark river and the Wharncliffe trapper.

My youngest daughter had told me yesterday “ If you don’t get the walnut one, get the white bone knife”

So, anyway , I am tossing and turning for like an hour.

My wife wakes up and asks me what is going on. I tell her I am trying to decide on a knife :D . I showed her the pics, tell her the reasons behind each one. She thought about for like 10 seconds and told me “ pick the white one, you don’t ever wear a belt anyway ” , then she rolls over and just leaves me there staring at the ceiling :D.

This morning is hurry time , need to drive my oldest daughter for piano lessons.

I asked my oldest to help me out, she gave it a good thought and said “ pick the fixed blade”

I am like “THANK YOU”

So the Bark River Little creek it is :thumbsup::):thumbsup:

I don’t have any fixed blade, big or small, and its time for one, at least one in my collection.

We are planning boating expedition on the Rideau River this summer and it will came handy. I will add a nice leather lanyard :thumbsup:

TY Mike for this epic GAW ( and my insomnia )

Cheers everyone :thumbsup:

19. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    They are no help at all... :D

Finally... one of them gave you permission to get the knife you really wanted to start with. ;):thumbsup:

Cutfinger, peanutsxx, gaj999 and 7 others like this.
  20. Pinemoon

Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    Great post :thumbsup:
    Nice choice on the Barkie :)
    Enjoy and sleep well tonight, lol :thumbsup: