Naked and Afraid on Discovery

You must admit that its one of the very few shows where the people are not presented animals to kill for food. Or helped out to survive. Only other person who done it on his own, Les was hungry for most of the show. I loved how on Duel survival they always found animals and fish to kill. So you got to give a few points to them, To survive in the middle of nowhere with the bare min....

I watched about 1 & 3/4 episodes tonight...initially not my first choice (I had been avoiding this show, but somebody else was driving the remote and there wasn't much else on).

I wish the would give them a pair of shorts, the sight of all the butt crackage is a turnoff.

That being said, I did find it interesting to a degree. Seeing people come to grips with the unrelenting nature of the wild was interesting from a psychological standpoint. Several of them were making comments that they thought it was going to be fun, and obviously it wasn't.

I did see the one in the rain forrest where the guy got sick (from drinking the untreated water perhaps) and the girl was left alone for the last few days before tapping out. She was apparently some type of wilderness instructor and basically fell pretty much flat on her face at least mentally and then completely before giving up. She commented that she had devoted weeks before the actual exercise to prepping, but basically nothing she had done really did much to get her really ready. Hard truth of when theory meets the real world. Great to sit around and talk about stuff for a few hours in a nice controlled environment...bit different when out in a lot more realistic situation. To her credit, she was able to get a fire going on her own. I wonder how she feels about what she's taught in the past, and if she'll continue being that type of instructor. If she does, she'll probably be alot better now with this experience.

I was also surprised at the situations they put these folks in. The second espisode was filmed in the Louisiana swamp. There were a good number of cottonmouths around, and in the end they had to basically wade around in waist deep gater infested water to the helo pick up. Ummm, I don't care how close the camera crew is, that there is definitely being in high pucker factor situation (again, put some shorts on). In that episode, the guy had the skills, but the girl had the mental toughness...they were lucky they were together.

IT is also a pretty rapid weight loss program...the last episode, the guy lost like 40+ lbs in 21 days...of course of lot of that is burning ofj water and 'baby fat' but you can definitely see the changes.

I think the show also suffers in basically limiting the people moving around to much...they basically stay in one spot for the majority of the time. Um, if the spot sucks, you'd be smarter to move someplace else (which is what save the couple in the LA. swamp). Staying in a bad place longer than necessary isn't a good idea. And if you're not rescued within a few days, you may well have to effect self rescue, or at least move to a better spot to be found.

Overall, minus the naked part, I think its good series. Alot of these survival shows are very short...most people, if they can find water, can survive for a few days without food. 21 days, whole 'nother animal. You're not going to be able to suck it up and get through it too well, especially in the places where they're sending these people.

Would also agree...this show would probably end by the first night or less if they sent them to colder places. Human's evolved out of their fur a long time ago.

Shame, if they would put these folks in shorts and T-shirts, it would be a much better show.

But it is getting some folks talking I guess...

BOSS

Just to put the show in perspective.
My mother when she was a teenaged Girl Scout back in the late 1930's earned the merit badge for being able to make a bow and start a fire by hand along with every other merit badge you could earn.

All of these survival reality shows are completely staged and the amount of people that call themselves a
"Survival Instructor" these days is getting comical.

I recently sharpened some knives for a pleasant young lady in her early 20's that told me how she taught survival skills to classes up in our local Santa Monica mountains.

I smiled as I listened since I would never ever think of calling myself by that title to start with and certainly not if I didn't know how to sharpen my own survival tools!

You know if they had them put shorts on, the rating would drop by at least half! People buy into the butt crack! LOL

So there is something to be garnered from the show if you can look at it from a mature perspective...
BOSS

I believe that we come to form opinions based upon multiple perspectives and a lifetime of experiences. Did I jump the gun and dismiss this ''Reality TV'' show (prematurely ;)), the possibility existed. But my gut instinct simply told me to focus on media materials that I know are relevant to my interests. Such as seasoned professional outdoor instructors explaining a survival skill that is time tested and proven. Watching an entertainment television show about a man and a woman running around the jungle nude does not interest me.

Back