• Schrade Collectors Forum 1904-2004

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schrade Century Forum

• textoothpk, get a life and leave things the way they are

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well like Roger Miller used to say My uncle used to love me but she died. I have been shot, lost my virginity ( both these things did not happen at the same time) played in some big games and am seldom surprised by much. Although with my track record and quiet unassuming demeaner plus the fact that I never ruffle any feathers so to speak why would I be the reason for any agitation or controversy? LT

I forgot to mention I have used my Schrades on vacuum chamber tape drives and for cleaning "chads" in the past. There is my forum content. :D

The language Luis and I were speaking is what happens when us old geeks get together and reminisce. "Compliance", "Independent Review", "Risk Assessment" are managment terms for CYA along with terms like methodoligy and "case" studies. Geeks tend to hate managment. This sound familiar? On this subject my ranting could put LT to shame.
Last time I used my knife to open a bound ream of paper I almost got thrown out of the building by a HR person, same place the managment team was buying springers from me..
TTYL
Larry

Sorry guys I guess I got carried away.

I got a job with Burroughs computers back in 1980, it was fun, in 1984 I got a good offer from a client (Bank with 30,000 employees, not long ago bought by Citigroup, Hey at least it is not a Chinese bank), and have worked for them since then, still do some Cobol and Algol programming and still read memory dumps on occasion but there is too much management control these days (yes I am a Geek and I hate that), now preparing for an audit (again), and waiting for a response about early retirement, we'll see....

For anyone interested, this is a fine article about the good old days of computing, I have met some of the people mentioned here:

http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/B5000-AlgolRWaychoff.html

Luis

Hey,

I was just kidding you know........ :eek: :D

Let's stay on topic here (BWWAAAHAHAHAHA)....... :D

I'm going to give my computer a glass of Geyser Peak Cabernet Sauvignon, maybe even a Padron cigar.....see, I like computers, just like you guys.

Bill (finished running scan disk)

HAH....I install computer network cabling for a liviing. (but I still don't know what the heck you guys were saying) However, I do remember the good old days of vampire taps, appletalk, AS400's, and system 32's. Back when I was a pup (guess I still am)...

Whenever we would be working in the ceiling on something, the "computer types" would come running up and ask what we were doing to the network, cause stuff had stopped working. Of course, it had to be us, it couldn't be anything they did. Always made me laugh.

I actually saw a DEC mmj jack at a customer site the other day. :eek:

Glenn

Hey LT!!! Do you have any idea in the world what these guys are talking about??

Phil

No however it would seem that I am blissfully ignorant of much of what goes on around me. This is even more evident when the topic turns to the mechanical and specific jargon. Let me give you an example ( and change the subject, I must never use the term multi tasking even as a joke again. ) a friend of mine recently found a heavy bag at a garage sale and since the gym I go to ( GOLDS) is remodeling naturally the one item removed was the heavy bag. it seems if you do not have a bottle of water in your hand while doing some sort of unnatural gyration ( pilates ???) if you wear sweat pants and sneakers ala Rocky versus a speedo and if a woman something called a sports bra. ( modern version of an over the shoulder boulder holder ) and prefer hitting the heavy bag you are looked at ( perhapes correctly ) as a throwback. I also have no tattoos or earrings.

So I have been looking for a bag to put up. Since I have been alone the last couple of years the A frame I used for hanging deer has fallen into disrepair. So since I no longer really need all the meat I used to process, I thought the A frame fixed up would make a dandy hanger for the heavy bag. So in the 100 degree 90 percent humidity I commenced my project. The first part of this was to replace the 10 year old ropes which run off each side of the a frame to stabilize it. After digging out a spool of chain which would probably hold up the Golden gate bridge I proceded to use a come along and turn buckles and other great stuff that really my just being near is dangerous for me. So any way I get both cables on and secured I run out a turn buckle as far as it will go which is in the middle of the cable This will allow the final adjusting and tightening. So at 3 PM in the broiling sun, wearing a long sleeve sweat out fit ( to protect from poison IVY which abounds) . I procede to the top of my ladder to crank down the turnbuckle frankly I was pretty proud. Then with one twist of my hand I turned the turn buckle the wrong way and it came apart. The weight of the A frame ( which was considerable ) immediately since the other side was guide up tight started to pull the structure down ( with considerable force ) with me on the ladder top, arms out stretched with one hand holding one side of the cable in my left hand ( a frame side) and the other side which was attached to a tree I was sort of like Jesus without a cross. All this because I was not clever enough to turn the turnbuckle in the correct direction. Of course as usual I was alone. Now while standing upon the ladder outstretched in the oppresive heat in sweat clothes, being drawn an quartered from the pull of the cables, and now having been joined by several varietys of flying insects ( how do they know when you don't have a free hand to swat them ) Many things went through my mind. Strangly my reaction, at this point was to start giggling insanely. I though how appropriate the situation was for an idiot like myself to attempt this UNDERTAKING ( good word ) alone, and it struck me as quite humorous. I wish someone would have stopped in right at that moment for seeing me in that position and laughing I am sure I would have been committed and if put in an institution I would no longer have to cook my own dinner so I felt that would have been positive. I managed to drop the tree side cable and some how hold on to the a frame side just enough that it did not collapse I could then secure the chain and er start over. I took to day off since I could not sleep last night due to the pain in my back from being drawn and quartered. My arms now are long enough that my knuckles scrape the floor when my arms hang down. I just thought I would relate this commentary in case I have done permanent internal injury to myself I want a record of what had caused my demise. By the way turn buckles turn to the right to tighten I know that now. But again with my mechanical ability I got confused since there is a screw on each side and I could not under stand how they could both screw in at the same time ( a conceptual problem I have now over come since I no longer care how it works just that it does. )

So as you see Phil computers there jargon ect are well beyond my knowledge they are simply relegated to the realm of magic. LT

Doggone it LT.....

I am sorry for your trials and tribulations....but, that was just too damn funny... :thumbup:

You are a weaver of great tales of near disaster, that's for sure. Better than Houdini....er, Ian Fleming... ;)

Bill

Sounds like a scene from a Steve Reeve movie. Holding up the pillars while the building collapses around you or keeping 2 horses from taking you in two seperate directions at the same time..
Dont chiropractors use a similar device to straighten out backs and sholders?
Wish we had a picture of this to post. The turnbuckle was of course stamped Imperial.
Hope you were able to reach your favorite chair in your favorite room and poured yourself a good one after all of that.
TTYL
Larry

Funny you say that the Steve Reeves analogy passed through my mind. I had a friend who passed away ( what else is new ) from a similar ( although not the same kind of exertion.) He started bleeding internally and in a few days was gone. So I am anxiously watching for any signs, I am now considering myself sort of an experiment you know just take the attitude of a casual observer and look for leaks. I really don't care one way or the other. Actually I believe the turn buckle was stamped made in China ( these people are insidious ). I do not know about the chiropractor but may find out when I go there so that I may once again walk upright. No I did not have a drink I really felt stupid enough at the time without alcohol. LT

Too Funny !! And, being as you're not a 5'6" 150# person, the picture that comes to mind is truly funny. Hope all is well and you don't spring a leak. Be careful moving amongst all those blades!

LT,

Wow, I was reminded of that scene near the end of Braveheart where they have Wallace hanging up in torture. There are situations in which you just don't know if you should laugh, cry or pray... I hope you are OK, take care.

Doesn't a turnbuckle tighten to the right when seen from one end but to the left when seen from the other?, always check before you use one and maybe put some tape or paint on one end.

Luis

So now as I stand ( or at least trying to ) please just give me a decision on the name change. Frankly still having Tim Faust listed as the moderator ( who hasen't posted for several years ) seems indicitive of the amount of people who cared enough to even voice a opinion or a vote . I expect nothing and am never dissapointed I am a New Yorker. It is our motto. Frankly I am rooting for Mr Taylor and the commy gooks he represents he and they deserves the idiots they inherit. Come on one small forum for the uncommon small individual just one for the gipper and the expression of the truth. Please Mr sparky or whatever Gods that be. LT

Back