Name your favorite maker(s) and why.

The topic says it all. Name you favorite maker, or makers and why you like them so much.

Among the top of my list are Tom Mayo and Ken Onion. Tom's been making knives for almost 20 years, and his experience shows. Ken's cool things like speed-safe, vault lock (and a few others
wink.gif
) are just mind boggling. No matter how talented these guys are, I wouldn't like them unless they were personable and had class. I think that's a key point for me. If I really liked a makers work, but the guy/gal was a jerk, I probably wouldn't admire them.

So who are your favorite(s)?

~Mitch

------------------
My Hobby Page

Steve Johnson-supreme craftsman.....Steve Hoel......ditto......Charlie Weiss, well, actually I could go on and on...but those three pop up the fastest...there are guys who are better...and more expensive...but I really like the LOOK that all three of these guys have.

Website Updated......Finally http://www.mayoknives.com/

[This message has been edited by tom mayo (edited 10-20-2000).]

Joel Pirela's designs have been sending me to the poor house...they look great and are designed to fit a hand, as opposed to designing a knife and whacking some slabs on a chassis and calling that the handle. My dismal opinion, naturally, but then its my money, right?
smile.gif

hasty edit: I'm not talking about your knives Tom, I'll be contacting you before long about a folding boot
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Ferret (edited 10-20-2000).]

Since I dont have knives from the either Ken Onion or Tom Mayo(YET), I will have to hold my opinion. What I have seen in pictures from them both appeal to me a lot. This is a tough question, because I have so many favorite makers, Its hard to narrow it down that far. Let me start with a partial list of favorites(forgive me if I leave anyone off). In no particular order: Harvey Dean, Tim Hancock, Roger Massey, Richard Rogers, Kevin Cashen, JR Cook, Russ Andrews, RJ Martin. I limited my list to makers who I currently own knives from, but there are many more that could go on that list.

------------------
Danbo, soul brother of Rambo

Daniel Winker, ABS Mastersmith. Daniel makes really wonderful and artistic 'period' knives that look like they are a couple hundred years old. Every knife is unique. The sheath work by his partner Karen Shook is extraordinary and compliments Daniel's work very well

PJ Tomes, Mastersmith. PJ makes very well built knives with Use in mind. His intent and ethics about the craft of blademaking is exemplary. A true gentleman, PJ really seems to want people to use his knives. Function is paramount.

Ed Caffrey, Mastersmith. Ed just received his MS rating this June. He makes wonderful damascus, and displays a really fine sense of blade aesthetics. He believes strongly in testing his work, and is constantly striving to improve his knowledge, craft, and Art. I not only love the knives he makes, but the philosophy behind his work.

Tim Herman. Art Knife folder maker extraordinaire. I just love looking at pictures of Tims knives. Folks tell me they work even better than they look. Tim offered to make me a plain uncarved sliver with a D2 blade some time ago. I am anxiously waiting for this knife. Tim doesn't use any screws or visible pivot pins in his knives, making them some of the cleanest looking knives around. I am going to use it, and make it my daily carry. Tim seems very interested to hear about how well his knives work as Users. I think its been a long time since anyone actually used one of his creations as a knife. I will let you all know how it turns out
smile.gif

Notice that I like ABS Mastersmith's. I am a fan of forged fixed blades, so I greatly admire the purpose, and goals of the American Bladesmith Society.

My Knives

Paracelsus

Without a doubt my personal favorite would have to be Rainy Vallotton.
Why, well that's a personal thing and sometimes hard to explain but his knives are just appealing to my eye and I love the "snap" on his knives. Donald.

BILL SIMONS!!
Bill makes AWESOME multi blade folders. He is about the nicest person I have ever had the privelege of knowing. I consider myself VERY lucky that he only lives about 10 minutes away
smile.gif
His shop is WELL equipped......AND it's air conditioned, a BIG bonus here in Florida!! I really enjoy visiting him, seeing his knives in progress and talking knives. Bill has been a Guild member for a LONG time and has LOTS of stories to tell about famous makers and the many shows he has done!!
Bill doesn't have a website or Email. If anyone would like info please Email me and I will be glad to provide it to you.
Neil

------------------
Knives IN STOCK!!!!

blackwoodknives.com

Too late Tom! Maybe you could help him out by drilling a few more holes in his head. You seem to have that thang Perfected.
wink.gif

i have one of tom mayo's drop point hunters..
awesome knife...tom truly is an artist...
fit & finish is as good as it gets...i have
told tom i am saving up for one of his folders...if you want a custom knife i would highly recommend tom mayo..great guy...
thanks,
bryan

I like Neil Blackwood, Lynn Griffith, GenO Denning, Kit Carson, Edward R. Schott, Rob Ridley, Russel Easler, Matt Lamey, Jerry Hossum, and Mike Irie to name a few. I love Tom Mayo's drop point hunters, and Para--that Lovestrand you have on order looks outstanding.
Kressler makes some of the finest drop point hunters I've ever seen, and I've made it a Life Goal to own a couple. Unfortunately, it is not yet a Wife Goal, so alas, no Kresslers in the near future.
frown.gif

------------------
Knives

My favorite is a buddy of mine Todd Kopp.
He makes some awesome blades but likes to stay out of the limelite for some reason.
Check out his stuff on my signature link. My pics are no where near as good as his blades are. He has been making knives for 14yrs and has only been published (In Blade mag.) a few times, but deserves some recognition.
Let him know what you think. He needs a little kick in the rear every now and then.
You can Email him at: tmkopp@msn.com
I know he would appreciate any feedback you guys have for him.
Thanks
biggrin.gif

View

------------------
RHankins Available knives
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=205453

[This message has been edited by bobH (edited 10-21-2000).]

There are many makers i would like to list, but for time sake i will say:

Don Fogg. No one else can make such simple knives so exciting and interesting. A recent example of this simple goodness:
bloodwoodtanto.htm

------------------
" The true way of the sword is the craft of defeating the enemy in a fight, and nothing other than this" Ibid

www.lameyknives.com

[This message has been edited by RMLamey (edited 10-21-2000).]

There are many makers i would like to list, but for time sake i will say:

Don Fogg. No one else can make such simple knives so exciting and interesting. A recent example of this simple goodness:
bloodwoodtanto.html

------------------
" The true way of the sword is the craft of defeating the enemy in a fight, and nothing other than this" Ibid

www.lameyknives.com

Dont know why, but the photo i was trying to post wont come up.

Ide like to add that Don Fogg is very eager in sharing his long learned, and hard learned lessons. A very kind man and benefit to all who care to pursue the craft.

------------------

www.lameyknives.com

My vote is on Virgil England, not only are his pieces unique (which is very rare in this industry), they are "emotionally visceral" for me. Can't go wrong with that
smile.gif

------------------
KSwinamer

Atheism....A non-prophet organization

Thanks Mitch, i should have thought about posting a direct link.... That was the exact photo i was trying to post.

------------------

www.lameyknives.com

Back