Native 5 - Smooth G10 & Cruwear?

I didn't expect these to show until next week, but they arrived today.

49363578612_68f3a8e919_b.jpg

49363363646_f063b125b4_b.jpg

Currently my favourite knife. Great ergos and so easy in and out of the pocket with those scales. Almost wish I would have bought a back up before they were out.

Man, kicking myself for not grabbing one.

On a related note, this thread is amazing. Some great pics and examples of this variation.

I should have picked one up too. Happy with CRUWEAR steel.

I just wasn’t sure about the G10 scales vs. a Native 5 with lightweight scales.

I should have picked one up too. Happy with CRUWEAR steel.

I just wasn’t sure about the G10 scales vs. a Native 5 with lightweight scales.

Being that the G10 Natives are now linerless, they are just as solid as the FRN, and although a little heavier, still ~3oz rather than the older ones with steel liners. To me the effect in pocket wasn't really noticeable, but the felt quality of materials in hand is superior.

Here we are in December and I've recently fallen in love with carbon and tool steels again thanks to my latest kitchen cutlery.

I ended up picking a K390 PM2 up and saw this Native was somehow still in stock. Shocking but I was glad. I don't know that a knife this size really benefits from a tough high performing tool steel but it's a great way to check out the steel.

Thanks to those that contributed to the thread. 5 months later I pulled the trigger.

I picked up one of these curwear natives in the exchange... that had a CPM-M4 blade swap. LOVE it! I've had it for a couple months now and I thought the more slippery G10 would bother me, but for EDC I really haven't noticed the reduced grip much and it certainly makes it look a lot cleaner than the standard textured black G10 or the jade/booger G10 that comes on the BHQ exclusive.

Now I just need the thing to work in a natural patina for me.

QzpCyU3l.jpg

Last edited:
Being that the G10 Natives are now linerless, they are just as solid as the FRN, and although a little heavier, still ~3oz rather than the older ones with steel liners. To me the effect in pocket wasn't really noticeable, but the felt quality of materials in hand is superior.

If you or anyone wants a Native 5 with full liners, the s110v variant is still built that way.

If you or anyone wants a Native 5 with full liners, the s110v variant is still built that way.

Thanks for the tip! Good to know. I'm considering the CF/S90V version of the Native 5, but also, I think what I want is some more Spyderco Cru-Wear. PM2, Para 3, or Delica... I would LOVE it if Spyderco did the Delica/Endela/Endura line with the finger choil like the Byrd Meadowlark 2. Nothing to do, really, with the Native 5 in Cru-Wear, but it's been on my mind.

Thanks for the tip! Good to know. I'm considering the CF/S90V version of the Native 5, but also, I think what I want is some more Spyderco Cru-Wear. PM2, Para 3, or Delica... I would LOVE it if Spyderco did the Delica/Endela/Endura line with the finger choil like the Byrd Meadowlark 2. Nothing to do, really, with the Native 5 in Cru-Wear, but it's been on my mind.

If you don't need the lock, the UKPK is pretty close. I love it. I never got on with the delica because I think the design needs a choil. So I have several natives instead. I feel like the caly 3 would be a winner too, but I discovered it after it was disco'ed.

Back