Native 5 ....why so expensive?

It's a very nice knife, though I think the G10 version sells a bit high for what it is, but the LW models are on point. I think the S110v version is a better fit for the knife and roughly the same price, though a LW model. It is one of the best backlocks on the market, consistently. Very good F&F from the 4 I've had, 3 LW's and 1 G10 that now has micarta.

I'm not sure why the PM2 SHOULD sell for more, or the same, in your opinion. I don't think it's a better knife, though far from bad. There could be the economies of scale going on but I think both are some of Spyderco's top selling models, and are kind of their gateway drug.

I was able to pick up a brand new LW with s30v for $55, which I would say is pretty reasonable. Maybe not as sexy as s35vn/G-10, but just as useable.
However, I'm not real crazy about it- just doesn't seem to talk to me when I've got it in my hand. I think it's the finger choil on the blade that throws off the ergos for me. I don't like the way it feels using the choil, and I don't like the way it feels by just grabbing it by the handle alone either. I much prefer my LW Stretch II in VG-10 for everday carry- fits me like a glove. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

The steel and handle material, try comparing a native lw s30 vs a pm2 s30 g10, $110 vs $140, comparing different is apples to oranges (there is no lw pm2, I just compared basic models)

I'm curious as to why ABC is going for $xxx I can get a 123 for less....
Yeah, there could be a number of reasons
which only a manufacturer would know.
But i bet it does not stop
ordinary folks from wanting.
Strange as it may seem,
sometimes being priced higher
might even create a growth in
a product's demand;
only because some folks start to thinking
that beyond reach becomes more
of a must have status symbol!
Price is never going to deminish
popularity or demand.
I can only think how much more it makes
people work harder towards their financial
and material goals....

It’s probably priced so high because it’s getting harder if not impossible to find a Native 5 with S35VN. Spyderco switched to S30V on the Native 5 sometime last year. If someone is willing to pay it then it is not priced to high!

I want to inquire about g10..its not some expensive material..so why is it added to a knife's value? I see 10 dollar knives with g10 now

Maybe not all G10 is created equal?

The G10 Native 5 was indeed changed to S30V last year. The newer version is also linerless.

Jim

Half your cost is for the round hole ! :eek::rolleyes:

I recently found this American Lawman with S35VN + " American G10 " for $75 .

The Ultimate Hunter was $85 with same materials , except thicker and orangier G10 .

Why is the sky blue ?
o4V3Il9.jpg

I love a thread that keeps em honest. This year saw knives go up in price across the board. Every company doing it because they see everyone else doing it. And they realize they can. Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT. And less advertised price hikes is Cold Steel, Boker. Just to name a few. They all did it.

Back