1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Native 5 ....why so expensive?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Cowboyfromhell666, May 22, 2019.

1. Cowboyfromhell666

Cowboyfromhell666

May 13, 2019
    I'm curious as to why a spyderco native 5 g10 s35vn is going for $150! I can get a PM2 for less....

Gravy likes this.
  2. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    Thé réal question would be « why not? »
    As long as it sells :)

3. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    It's a very nice knife, though I think the G10 version sells a bit high for what it is, but the LW models are on point. I think the S110v version is a better fit for the knife and roughly the same price, though a LW model. It is one of the best backlocks on the market, consistently. Very good F&F from the 4 I've had, 3 LW's and 1 G10 that now has micarta.

I'm not sure why the PM2 SHOULD sell for more, or the same, in your opinion. I don't think it's a better knife, though far from bad. There could be the economies of scale going on but I think both are some of Spyderco's top selling models, and are kind of their gateway drug.

4. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Why is anything expensive?

5. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    Because Spyderco

AntDog and NorthernSouthpaw like this.
  6. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I like the LW versions better personally.

7. bobobama

bobobama Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2017
    I was able to pick up a brand new LW with s30v for $55, which I would say is pretty reasonable. Maybe not as sexy as s35vn/G-10, but just as useable.
    However, I'm not real crazy about it- just doesn't seem to talk to me when I've got it in my hand. I think it's the finger choil on the blade that throws off the ergos for me. I don't like the way it feels using the choil, and I don't like the way it feels by just grabbing it by the handle alone either. I much prefer my LW Stretch II in VG-10 for everday carry- fits me like a glove. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

8. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    The steel and handle material, try comparing a native lw s30 vs a pm2 s30 g10, $110 vs $140, comparing different is apples to oranges (there is no lw pm2, I just compared basic models)

9. l1ranger

l1ranger

Jan 27, 2017
    spyderco + S35 + G10 = $150

this is basic math

really doesnt seem out of line too much to me

FullMetalJackass likes this.
  10. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Yeah, there could be a number of reasons
    which only a manufacturer would know.
    But i bet it does not stop
    ordinary folks from wanting.
    Strange as it may seem,
    sometimes being priced higher
    might even create a growth in
    a product's demand;
    only because some folks start to thinking
    that beyond reach becomes more
    of a must have status symbol!
    Price is never going to deminish
    popularity or demand.
    I can only think how much more it makes
    people work harder towards their financial
    and material goals....

extrastout likes this.
  11. Nixelplix

Nixelplix

Mar 26, 2003
    $150 isnt expensive any more.

Pharmagator and B Griffin like this.
  12. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    It’s probably priced so high because it’s getting harder if not impossible to find a Native 5 with S35VN. Spyderco switched to S30V on the Native 5 sometime last year. If someone is willing to pay it then it is not priced to high!

13. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    I want to inquire about g10..its not some expensive material..so why is it added to a knife's value? I see 10 dollar knives with g10 now

14. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Maybe not all G10 is created equal?

The G10 Native 5 was indeed changed to S30V last year. The newer version is also linerless.

Jim

15. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Spyderco charges that much for the same reason a dog licks himself. ;)

FullMetalJackass likes this.
  16. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Half your cost is for the round hole ! :eek::rolleyes:

I recently found this American Lawman with S35VN + " American G10 " for $75 .

The Ultimate Hunter was $85 with same materials , except thicker and orangier G10 .

[​IMG]

17. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Is that a real word, I scrabble challenge. ;)

DocJD likes this.
  18. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Why is the sky blue ?
    [​IMG]

ScooterG likes this.
  19. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    katanas likes this.
  20. Dfunk1210

Dfunk1210

Apr 7, 2015
    I love a thread that keeps em honest. This year saw knives go up in price across the board. Every company doing it because they see everyone else doing it. And they realize they can. Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT. And less advertised price hikes is Cold Steel, Boker. Just to name a few. They all did it.

kreole likes this.