Natrix Copper

Damn is this a nice knife! Exactly what I wanted and expected for the price point.

Finish is good, detent is perfect #horsepower strength. No slop to speak of. Its wearing in nice and flipping even smoother now that I've used it this week at work.

I'm glad Kershaw made this gem of a copper knife!

Mine came with considerable play in the closed position. The kind where the detent hole in the blade seems like its either too big or misplaced. Almost to the point that the tip could come out proud while still sort of captured by the detent ball. I have sliced my finger before on knives that had this issue when reaching in the pocket for it. So it went back today. Just mine or anyone else have this?

I have only had my knife two days and the knife is developing 'detent slop'. Out of the box everything was tight .. But after two days it rattles when closed.

I wonder if the lock bar steel is too soft and my detent ball sunk a little?!

I already have intermittent issues with lockup. The knife starts off smooth but one in 50 flips gets locked up and I need to two hand open. After that is good for another 50 flips

It will be interesting to see how this knife wears in over time .

I sold mine within 2 hours of getting it in the mail; I didn't care for it at all.

Looks like you can fit a victorinox classic and the matrix in the watch pocket together

Mine came with considerable play in the closed position. The kind where the detent hole in the blade seems like its either too big or misplaced. Almost to the point that the tip could come out proud while still sort of captured by the detent ball. I have sliced my finger before on knives that had this issue when reaching in the pocket for it. So it went back today. Just mine or anyone else have this?

My regular G10 natrix has this...it’s amazing how many QC problems these things have and of so many types (grinds, dentents, warping etc)...Chinese Kershaw used to be a “cut above”, today they’re just mediocre.

Reactions: Mo2
So I've had my Natrix for about a month now, and I stand by everything from my initial review. It's a great knife for the price! A few little changes (widen lockbar by a millimeter to make it easier to disengage, lesson the detent slightly, slightly less agressive jimping) and I really think this would be an absolute home run. I mean come on... I didn't even pay $60 for this thing.

I was hoping the patina would be setting in a bit better by now, but it looks like it's slow going with the coating KAI put on the knife. I would have preferred a slightly less protective coating, but I'm sure they had their reasons for using it over vacuum packaging.

LhWeCWU.jpg

M7Ov96o.jpg

it's showing 0.827% vanadium - so it is very close, the spec for d2 is 0.9%-1.1% v... if this is a Chinese d2, at least they didn't skimp

also very nice that they got it to 60 hrc, it would be a waste using d2 if you went any lower

it's showing 0.827% vanadium - so it is very close, the spec for d2 is 0.9%-1.1% v... if this is a Chinese d2, at least they didn't skimp

also very nice that they got it to 60 hrc, it would be a waste using d2 if you went any lower

Yup. Love the looks of that Kubey in rosewood. But a 56 HRC? On D2?? Pass.

Regarding Patina, I don’t think the knife came with a coating other than a bit of oil. There is no lacquer applied to it.

Bear in mind that stonewashed Copper Will Patina very differently from polished Copper. Mine has not been a beater, but it’s not a shelf queen either. It’s seen use inside on my desk and around the house. So it has turned a bit darker than when originally new (see below).

Polished Copper Will Patina dramatically in a relatively short time when used and handled (note the keychain light and spinner on the left and bottom). Whereas, brushed or stonewashed Copper, will not alter as dramatically over time. The O-light Copper flashlight at top is brand new and hasn’t begun to turn yet, while the brushed spinner in the lower right started out like the flashlight but has turned over time but not in the same way as the polished items on the left.

IMG_6505.jpg

So while I have seen several of these Copper Natri develop patina it may not be what some are expecting due to the nature of stonewashing. And I think that was intentional on the part of Kershaw.

Here it is size-wise among other small to medium knives (when it was brand new, so you’ll notice it looks brighter here than it does in today’s photo above).
IMG_5840.jpg

Last edited:
Back