Neck carry method on consistent basis?

When the neck knives first came out, I was enamored with the idea. Yet as I started to carry my (little light) AG Russell Hunter's Scalpel around my neck for a while, I soon got tired of it and began to clip it on my pants. My question is this: is carrying the knife around the neck as great an idea as it first appears to be? How many of you first thought it to be a good idea but changed your mind after implementing it?

sjc

Given my obsession with knives, I need every feature of the human body to hang a knife and have some kind of reasonable excuse.

Seriously though, I don't mind it, one of it's best features that as you change clothes during the day, you can't forget your knife.

And I don't see any major inconveniences or problems.

------------------
One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper.

Marion David Poff fka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

Patiently waiting for the Spyderco SpydeRench, Lum Chinese Chopper Folder, Rolling Lock Martial Folder, Shabaria and JD Smith; REKAT Escalator and Pat Crawford design.

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

sjc:

I have not succumbed to the neck knife craze per se in that I have not bought a dedicated designed neck knife. I do admit, however, to utilizing a multi-carry sheath I received with the Talonite Wambli Rob Simonich made for me. Specifically I carry the Wambli around my neck here at the house. Why? I usually wear sweats so there is no pocket or belt. I used to clip on a folder. No more! This carry is convenient and practical at home and results in my favorite fixed blade being always at the ready.

Now for out and about...nah! IWB, high ride sheaths, cross draw...anything but a neck carry!

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Keep yer powder dry and cutters hair poppin' sharp!

i like neck knife carry. it is very handy, mostly for utility purposes. i think that in a defensive situation, i could get to my folder quicker than my neck knife. that is why i have decided to carry FB IWB. whenever i have both my neck knife and my folder on me, i feel myself leaning towards pulling my folder first, if i feel the need to have a blade in hand. so, IWB, it is!

marco

I just like the convenience of a small neck knife for doing chores. And I do mean small, blade no bigger than 2.5" in a nice kydex sheath like the STIFF KISS or the REKAT Fang knife. I know that's pusing the laziness buttons since I can with just a little more effort reach in my pocket or belt sheath but I guess that's why people use wrist watches rather than pocket watches more often.

Neck Knifes have a legitimate place IMHO.

HEY BOB! I understand why I need to keep my cutter sharp, but why do I have to keep my powder dry?
wink.gif

------------------

~Greg~

[This message has been edited by Kodiak PA (edited 16 January 1999).]

My first impression of the neck knife idea was poor. I thought it to be in the range of the fanatic and fringe element. Then I bought a Stiff KISS and tried it. Great concept. Handy method of carry. I am a believer. For those chores where drawing a sharp tool from a pocket or belt mean shifting your position (squatting down or seated at a table) it can't be beat. It seems as though I am constantly missing the sheath of a belt carried fixed blade when I reinsert it. Most of the time this means I just lay the knife down on the table or ground until I need it again. Usually the next time I need it I am several steps away. Same thing with a folder, I usually open it, and lay it down instead of putting it back in my pocket. The only down side I have found are the strange looks from non knifers when I pull it out. Funny thing about that though. If you just pull it out like you assume everyone carries a knife around their neck, most, not all but most, just take note of how handy it is. Even my wife, AKA: The Scissor Queen, has commented she would like a Stiff KISS. This is a very good thing, now I can give her mine and get a Cetan
wink.gif

( I just reread the part about what my wife wants and it really doesn't look good. She didn't mention any names, just that a Stiff KISS and necking were a good thing.)
( That didn't come out quite right either, I better just quit while I'm ahead)
------------------
A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined;
George Washington Jan 8,1790--There can be no doubt about the Second Amendment.

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited 16 January 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited 16 January 1999).]

Hal, you better hope she's not looking over your shoulder as you write
wink.gif
I also was a little leery of neeck carry so first I got an Outdoor Edge "Wedge" and tried that(cheap & light).I agree w/Greg & Bob tho,
it seems best suited for around the house in general type chores. But somehow I now seem to have three neck knives, the Wedge, a Hobbit Fang and a Stiff Kiss. Now how did that happen?
PS to Bob - i was intrigued with your comments re;Cetan; so I recently talked to Rob about making me one in the hawkbill shape and multi carry option. Now alll I have to do is learn patience !Thanks,
Brian

I have one of Rob's hawksbill Cetans, Brian, and I love it. Got it a few days before Christmas and have worn it daily as a neck knife. Very comfortable, well, maybe that should be comforting. I know it's there, but in a reassuring way. Does not print at all, even under a t-shirt or the silk shirt I wore to the symphony (new thread topic- Are three knives too many for the symphony?) I had Rob put a little more aggressive curve to the blade and slightly modified the grip and I couldn't be happier. Waiting is the hardest part, but you know what they say "Good things happen..."

Jack

Greg: must be that you're not a firearms enthusiast as that saying harkens back to blackpowder days when you needed to keep your (black gun)powder dry if you wanted your rifle or pistol to fire when needed.

Brian: you'll love what Rob makes for you and the wait is well worth it. My Wambli is but a "stretched" Cetan although the Talonite makes it weigh significantly more than a comparable steel blade would. Donovan's comments about concealability are right on too! Enjoy!

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Keep yer powder dry and cutters hair poppin' sharp!

sjc - Neck sheaths work well in small boats like canoes and kayaks. Even a small sailboat. Sometimes I feel funny about having a fixed blade knfe hanging about my neck (falling on it, etc). City River Sheaths (Mike Sastre) is making kydex sheaths for Spyderco Clipits. The hole is accessible so the knife can be accessed easily and opened easily, but the knife is closed when in storage position. Well thought out good quality pieces. Mike would probably entertain the thought of making sheaths for any of the popular folders. Don't have his numbers with me, but I'll chase them down. (He might have a site)
sal

I`ve worn a neck knife since grade school.A Micro is my current choice.In a robes,sweats or whatever,I have somthing to take care of those unplanned cutting chores.One hasn`t come up in the shower yet but,it might.

------------------

I just received a La Griffe by Fred Perrin with Stag Handles, very nice knife its light and unobtrusive.

Lightness is a issue in neck carry. I also have a MD M-X Micro, while a great knife I find it a little heavy for neck carry, so in my pants pocket it goes with the cord around my belt as per Hilton Yam.

I also have a Ranaldi Spook I’ve been trying to get my Wife to carry but she thinks that just because we live in a nice upscale town nothing can happen to her. What can Ya do?

------------------
Take Care,

LD

"Every Dog Has His Day"

Sal, please do let us know any info about City River Sheaths! I own and do believe in neck knives. In minimal clothing it is hard to beat. And given the proper design and practicing draws it is very fast especially when sitting. For those who spend a lot of time outdoors either biking, running, blading, skateboarding, etc. a neck knife is nice to have nearby.

L8r,
Nakano

I like the idea of a Kydex sheath for a folder(s). If this person already is gearing up for production I'm sure we could help him put !
wink.gif

Sal,

Interesting comment about the use of neck knives in small boats. I was going to get a Snap-It with a sheepsfoot blade to use as a sailing knife but my PFD doesn't have anywhere to hang it, so I was thinking of a neck cord with a metal ring for the clip. A Rescue in a kydex sheath would be practical alternative, vey quick to deploy in an emergency. I look forward to further details on the sheaths.

------------------
Take care,
Clay
kesting@idx,com.au

Some people make things happen, some watch while things happen, and some wonder "What happened".

[This message has been edited by Clay Kesting (edited 18 January 1999).]

Clay - Mike also makes a version that ties to a PFD, on top/front of shoulder within easy reach.

Brian - They're in production, I'm wearing one now made for a dragonfly. I'll dig up his numbers and post this thread on Monday.
sal

Sal, info on Mike Sastre of City River Sheaths would be very nice. I am going to have a neck sheath made for my Kasper AFCK on Tue or Wed.

Clay, in my city there is a retailer with plain Mariner's, if you are interested I would do the honors, the Mariner is the Rescue but sturdier in Steel with the old G2(GIN-1) steel, very good stuff.

----

Like I have said another time, I think the neck knife is an outgrowth of what Ken Warner calls Personal knives, and AG Russell calls City knives. Specifically, small handy knives kept close at hand, simple construction, utility profiles and maybe a bit of style, usually around 6 inches overall.

With that in mind, neck knives become fairly easy to think about.

Hal, your thoughts on ease of access is right on. And confidence goes a long way to calming other's nerves.

------------------
One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper.

Marion David Poff fka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

Patiently waiting for the Spyderco SpydeRench, Lum Chinese Chopper Folder, Rolling Lock Martial Folder, Shabaria and JD Smith; REKAT Escalator and Pat Crawford design.

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

Sal,
The PFD sheath sounds great, it would allow me to use a clip-it, which would be more versatile. How secure are the sheaths, would I lose the knife if (when) I capsize the boat? (I'm not a very good sailor.) I hope Mike doesn't mind shipping to Australia, I emailed another well known sheath maker a month ago and he hasn't replied yet
frown.gif

------------------
Take care,
Clay
kesting@idx,com.au

Some people make things happen, some watch while things happen, and some wonder "What happened".

[This message has been edited by Clay Kesting (edited 18 January 1999).]

When I meet Dexter Ewing he had a Spyderco Delica 98 in a neck sheath. It was a very nice design. I wish I could remember who he said he got it from. For those of us who live in North Carolina it gives us a legal neck knife. We can't carry a fixed blade concealed, so a folder in a neck sheath is ideal. What I do every now and then is just use my old dog tag chain and clip my Delica on it using the pocket clip. To remove the knife you grab it, flip it, and pull it off. Probably not as quick as a kydex sheath, but with some practice it was easy to do.
Blades

Back