Neck Knives -- how big is big?

Hey guys,

I haven't looked into the neck knife subject at all, other than to read the occasional thread about them.

I have a question. What is the feeling about a blade-size limit on these things? I don't want to hear about the one guy who hangs an ATAK around his neck, but rather what's the practical size limit for say 75% of buyers?

Looking at what's offered by the knifemakers, it appears 3.5" is about what they've decided the limit is. A couple bold souls venture into 4", that's it.

Many of the neck knives being highly recommended have like 2" blades, it seems like. The REKAT neck knife is around there. La Griffe looks very small in the pictures. On and on, I see very small blades. Does that mean this is mostly a utility rather than defense setup?

Just wondering what the guys who wear these things actually think about the sizes, and what these knives are good for.

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

(Oops. I just realized I posted this in the reviews forum instead of general. okay to keep it here?)

[This message has been edited by Joe Talmadge (edited 10-20-98).]

Joe,

The La Griffe ranges in size. Mine, which is probably middle of the road, is 5.5 inches OAL, with a 2.5 inch blade.

I find the size perfect for both utility as well as "in close" type defensive tasks. In other words a good hideaway or backup to a pocket knife. (Although this knife would serve nicely in pocket carry or IWB.)

I don't think I'd want more of a blade, based more on weight than length.

Blues

Joe, Blues, what up?
The long "griffe" that I have is about a 3 1/4" blade. I've got another neck knife by Kurt Meerdink, a 2" trailing point blade w/ black micarta slabs. Unlike the "griffe" it's a traditional knife the handles about 4" long. Kurt's a hunter and a fisherman and he started making neck knives for fishing. When your out in a stream and in hip waders reaching for a belt knife or pocket knife is out of the question. A neck knife is now the perfect choice to deal with that tangled line. On shore it's a perfect trout/bird knife. The "Griffe" on the other hand fills a different niche, It's a hide away blade. A blade that no one expects. It can have all of the utility functions you want, but that's not what it's made for. 6" -7" is the max overall length I would consider for a neck knife, shorter is better, but weight is the biggest issue.

JerryO

Joe,
I bought one of the ATS-34 Rekat's a couple of months ago. It is very flat, and is at the upper range, (for me), in size. I wear it daily for utility, but it could be used for defense in a pinch, I guess, (my mindset on knives is "tool"). It "disappears" even under a t-shirt. I really have found it indespensible and handy. So many times I have found myself needing a knife, (my "carry" on the seat of the truck, on the workbench, etc.). I suddenly remember, reach under my shirt, and make my cut. I've really grown fond of it. When I drape it around my neck in the morning, I have a knife "on" me always, no matter where my carry, (or carries), are laying.

I recommend gerber 400 or LST as it is also called. Although it is not a fixed blade (somehow I got the impression that a "neck knife" is of the fixed blade type)it works fine as a utility knife. It has a bladelength of 2,5 inches, is very slim and lightweight but strong enough for most chores.
But there is a kind of security hazard when you use folders as neck knives. I keep the knife hanging on a leatherstrap around my neck and I usually do not take it off when I use it and it has happened that I forget to close the knife when I've used it which has caused me some pain
smile.gif

Regarding its possible use for selfdefense I guess it isn't made for close-combat.

I think of neck knives as utility blades only. I tried wearing them in social and other situations; just didn't seem very practical to get to as far as defense; easier to carry a good folder. But around the house, in plain view and right at hand, these little knives work very well. If I was not in an urban environment, I would probably wear one in public too.

Whassa' blade length on an Emerson CQC6? Under 3.5, if I remember right, 3.4" or so? My point being that Emerson seems to think that blades barely over 3" are quite adequate for defensive designs. His LEO fixed-blade is not much over 3.5" I believe.

I think anything much over 4" would start to get a little massive. A coupla' chipped teeth would be no big deal, but you wouldn't want the thing to flip up and knock you out or break your nose. If a neck knife gets too heavy, you start to wonder if it is going to stay in that inverted sheath too.

I think I would carry a big ole' knife like that if it would stay in the sheath. Put a chest band on the sheath to keep in from flopping around. Not it CA though of course.

Joe,

I bought a Stiff KISS primarily to check out the feasibility of neck carry. I have to agree with Brian, I find it really convenient to wear outside my shirt around the house or on a boat particularly when I don't have any pockets. However if I was wearing it every day I would want something I could put on and forget until I needed it and would certainly go for something smaller and particularly lighter. I think La Griffe or a similar sized knife would be ideal.

Just my $0.02 (AUS$0.03)
Clay

Very interesting about weight being more of a factory than blade length. Thanks guys.

La Griffe is skeletonized, and doesn't even seem to have a full handle. It sounds like it'd be lighter for the blade length. You guys who have one, does the handle really work as well as a regular straight, full handle?

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

Joe,

I have a Griffe as pictured on the "fixed blade" page of the Perrin section.
http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/custom/Perrin.htm

It is the large picture of the tanto styled griffe on that page.

The grip on this knife is amazing given its size. The finger hole makes all the difference, keeping the knife very secure in the palm of your hand. Had I not tried it and purchased one, I would find it difficult to imagine.

It is a MUCH more secure grip than I can get on my REKAT Utility Fang or Stiff KISS.

I have carried it for several days now at work, and nobody has detected its presence, and it has been completely unobtrusive.

It's a keeper.

Blues

Joe,

Take Blues at his words, I've got one and basically until you hold one it doesn't seem like a good concept, but it is. I was at a show looking at these knives on his table and even then, they appeared disproportioned. When you hold one it is engulfed by your hand. If you had half a roll of pennies and put them in your fist it's somewhat like the feel of the knife.

The only problem with these is that even unserrated, they definately go into the "menacing" catagory. Don't yank one of these out in front of police!

JerryO

Joe, I think I agree about weight being the primary issue. I could imagine myself carrying anything with a blade less than 4 inches given good ergonomics and weight.

I think neck knives are an outgrowth of what AG Russell refers to as "city" knives referring to Japan and Ken Warner calls "personal" knives.

MDP fka Eye

Marion,

Interesting that you should mention A.G. Russell. I was just checking out his website because I thought his "Hunter's Scalpel" might make a very useful, small, lightweight neck knife. It is available in a choice of steels but I am not sure how thin and, therefore, concealable it is. Another economical alternative is, of course, the "Wedge" but, again, I am not sure how concealable it is. Anyone have any experience with these 2 knives? I should add that I am thinking of them as a utility knife that you have with you *all the time* rather than a defensive piece.

Cheers,
Clay

[This message has been edited by Clay Kesting (edited 10-23-98).]

Clay,
I have one of the "Hunter's Scalpels", and it is a handy little guy. It would work ok as a neck knife. But what I've found about neck knives is flatter and lighter are better. Printing under your shirt is something you don't want. And the lightness and flatness really contribute to the overall comfort. And another thing I've found about neck knives is they are so darn HANDY!

Gene,

Thanks, I had a feeling the "Hunter's Scalpel" might be too thick and I think the same might apply to the "Wedge". My Stiff KISS does not print under a T-shirt but I would like something smaller (lighter) with a more utilitarian blade shape (also cheap..blasted exchange rate). You are right about them being so handy, I was having take-away Chinese for dinner with some friends on Bondi beach last night and used my Stiff KISS to cut up the kids' spring rolls. We were going swimming so I had no pockets for a folder.

Cheers,
Clay

Gene,

Another question. Is your Rekat the Fang model? I read that it was designed for reverse grip and wondered how it would work as a utility knife. I like the idea of the drop blade but am not sure if the straight "Fang Utility" may not be more useful. BTW where did you buy the ATS34 Rekat, I have not seen them anywhere?

Cheers,
Clay

I have a Stiff Kiss knife and I occasionaly carry it around my kneck.
Works great in my DILBERT Office inviroment... under a shirt and tie it does not print.. and I can still get it fast through an unbuttoned spot under my tie.

It works for me...

Clay,
You are right in that mine is the Rekat Hobbit Fang neck knife, but the neck knives from Rekat do not have the "reverse grip, (well maybe you could describe it as a very "slight" one). Mine is called the "Special Production", which is made from solid ATS-34, with a nice "stone washed" finish, (like on the Chris Reeve Sebenzas), as opposed to the regular 1095 coated carbon steel. It has a hollow ground drop point blade, with a downswept handle. It is very thin and light. I got mine for $39.99, (which to me was the bargain of the year), from Josh at Pioneer Valley Knife and Tool, (www.pvknife.com). I noticed though that he's raised the price to $49.99, but it is still a great deal at that price. I find it the best one I've tried so far. Undectable even under a t-shirt. For me, it has worked out great, and for the money like I say, it is a bargain. Hope this helps you out Clay.

Gene,

It sure does help. Thanks for taking the time to reply so thoroughly. I've always liked the look of the Fang but was not sure how it would work in practice. It is sooooo good, (especially for people like me who are geographically challenged
smile.gif
) to be able to get this type of information so readily. I really enjoy my time here and being able to meet all you good people.

Cheers,
Clay

How about the Cold Steel Mini-Culloden neck knife? Didn't see any mention of that knife here...it has a spear point blade of 3.6" in length, a sort of a hourglass shape handle which is 3.4" in length. I found the knife to be quite cool to carry around. Could someone give me his/her opinion on this knife?
thanks........

Back