Need a good folder for $120 or less

My fellow members I need your help. My house was broken into and several of my knives were stolen, from my collection with some cash and a bottle of wine. And the insurance company will cover about 40% of the worth of the knives. I already know the only fixed blade that I will replace, and i need to your help in deciding what brand and model of folder to buy that is under $120. Any internet sites that have good deals would be greatly welcomed.

P.S. The knives that were stolen were some Cold Steel and Fantasy Junk Kinves. Thank the Lord that the thieves didn't my Busses because they are so plain looking unlike the fantasy knives.

Thank you Fellow Knifenuts,
Darkjedi - "May the Busse, be with you."

Dark,
Sorry to hear of your break in. If there's any silver lining, I guess it's that the thieves were so stupid. Hopefully it will lead to them being apprehended that much sooner.

But as to the topic at hand, I suppose I should be the first (of probably many) to recommend the Benchmade 710HS axis lock. On the auto side of the house, the Microtech UDT is hard to beat at that price point. Good luck.
smile.gif

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

I would suggest looking at either a REKAT Carnivour Cub (or the larger Carnivour), or a REKAT Pioneer II. These are all very stout knives that offer ATS-34 steel, G-10 scales, and a very strong lock.

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

I would suggest the MT mini SOCOM. They can be found for under a $100 and offer good quality and materials. I sort regret letting mine go and am thinking about getting another one.
Frank Q.

------------------
"The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none."
Thomas Carlyle

Darkjedi,
Sorry to hear about your loss.

My suggestion goes for the Al Mar SERE 2000 that you can pick up from the KnifeOutlet for $124.95.

--The Raptor--

The SERE is a good choice, although you could probably find a newone on the exchange forum for around $110 (maybe even less, if you're really lucky.)
The last really good knife that I bought for under $100 was an MOD trident. Excellent knife. Although, you can by many Spydercos (and some Benchmades) for under $100 also. The AFCK is a darned good knife too, so is the Elishewitz Darkstar (both BM). The list is actually quite long.
HOWEVER IF you are looking for a Brute/Workhorse definately get a Magna. Excellent knife, AND an extremely low price.
Good Luck.

My vote is with Raptor. The Al Mar SERE 2000 will knock your socks off! The level of fit and finish would be appropriate on a knife costing 2 or 3 times its $125.00 price tag. You will not regret it.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

My vote is with Raptor. The Al Mar SERE 2000 will knock your socks off! The level of fit and finish would be appropriate on a knife costing 2 or 3 times its $125.00 price tag. You will not regret it.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

Got to cast my vote for the LCC. This is the production knife (outside of a Sebenza) that comes closest to a custom quality knife. While maybe not as stout as a SERE in ultimate handle strength (LCC with two piece scales and 3 aluminum backspacers vs. SERE with thick one piece G10 scales and solid stainless backspacer), it is more than ample for anything you will ask of a folder. I find the blade shape more to my liking for utility use, and the thin edge combined with the relatively high grind allow this thing to cut like there is no tomorrow. It is also a very attractive knife and does not have the "totally tactical" look of the SERE. One added bonus is that with the bolster/scale combination you can easily alter this knife to your tastes, simply pop of the carbon fiber and replace them with what you want. While I am in no way knocking the SERE (damn nice knife!), I just find the LCC as a better overall choice.

Go with the SERE 2000. Fit and finish that comes close to custom and a nice, hand filling handle. Plus, its sharp as sh*t right out of the box.

------------------
Danbo, soul brother of Rambo

Go with Al Mar's SERE 2000. It is a great knife. For daily carry and usage, I believe the fewer parts the better. That is why a fixed blade is usually better and stronger than a folder.

However, as far as folders go, you cannot do better than a SERE 2000. Simple, strong, heavy duty and sharper, out of the box, than any other knife I have ever seen.

The SERE 2000 kicks butt. You won't want to buy another knife for a while, especially one that costs more than $120.
The 710 in M2 steel is another no-brainer.

Emerson CQC7
Microtech LCC
Spyderco Viele
William Henry Lancet
CRKT S2

------------------
peace love arch

David Boye "Prophet" in his BDS "carbide crystal" 440C steel. Under $100.

Not a tactical, or a tank, or much of a looker. But weightless, disappears in the pocket, solid lockback, cuts aggressively forever, very ergonomic, and reliably stainless.

This is a knife you forget you have on you until you need it, and then it aggressively cuts whatever you need it to cut, maintenance free.

I just picked up a fingerless D2 Sifu from WOW Distribution's clearance sale for $119... I'd recommend calling them to see if they have any more in stock. They had about 6 or 7 when I ordered last Friday.

Ryan

I will also cast my vote for the MT LCC M/A. It is the best production knife I have to date.(My Sebenza will be here tomorrow)

I really want to thank everyone for their input. Sounds like I will have to reseach some internet sites for the best prices on the Al Mar SERE, benchmade 710, and the LCC.
I am still a newbie so any info on who makes the LCC,since I have never heard of it before, would be helpful.

Thanks Again everyone for your help and choices.

Darkjedi - " May the...Busse be...with you."
You will understand my the above if you go to the Busse forum

Back