Recommendation? Need Help deciding on which type of leather belt sheath to make.

I also decided to use a different eagle. I think that other eagle would look better on a vertical sheath with a rabbit or something below the eagle that he is fixing to grab.
I decided to use this eagle below even though the American flag is not in the stencil.

Eagle-2a.jpg

That should look good. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

I hope so. I am planning to start tooling it tonight. I have never really been very good at art, but I will give it a try.

The way that I usually make holsters and sheaths is with a pigskin lining. So, the back piece has the lining glued and cut just before the edge of the leather on it right now. I normally wet both sides, then lay the pigskin lining for the outside leather piece over the plastic wrapped knife positioned how I want it on the back piece, and then lay the outside leather on top of the lining, and press it for a nice wet forming in my steel press for about 30 minutes or so.

So, should I paint, or paint and seal, the tooled eagle before I press fit the sheath in my press, or just leave it alone and paint and seal the eagle after the outside tooled piece is press fit? I really don't think that the press foam would mess up my eagle, but I have never tried it before. I have the 8" X 24" steel plate press below.

I also have a piece of extreme foam I bought with my press that I thought about using on the bottom to keep the back piece more flat and let the outside piece do more of the forming around the knife instead of using both regular pieces of foam. What do you think about that idea for a SOB sheath?

Leather-Press-2.jpg UF-SOB-1a.jpg

Hello guys. I finally have begun working on tooling my eagle. I wound up being able to play with my grandbabies Saturday, and they take priority! Sunday is my reading day, when I try to catch up on the 14 or so books in the queue that I need to read. I finished, "Falling Felines and Fundamental Physics", by Gregory J. Gbur. Monday was also a reading day and I read some of, "Prediction Machines", by Ajay Agrawal, Joshua Gans, and Avi Goldfarb.

Also my grandbabies, nieces, and nephews keep me busy replacing digitizers and charge port docks in their devices. I'll be glad when they stop using the Micro-B charge ports, even though I'm getting pretty good at replacing them now. :) I'm glad that the new Amazon Kid's Tablets that I bought for my grandbabies has the USB Type C charge port in them, so the charging plug can be inserted either way. I'm fixing to replace a panel and digitizer in a nieces Samsung Galaxy J7 Star phone in a little while.

Later tonight or tomorrow I'll get back onto my eagle and finish tooling it and using my Hair Blade tool for the feathers. I used it some, but I think I need to do some more with it. Let me know what you guys think.

UF-SOB-3a.jpg UF-SOB-6a.jpg

The hair blade needs a little more definition. Light strokes but you need to be able to see them clearly. Follow the natural vein line a of real feather.

I ordered another set of 2X4 Basics legs but I guess FedEx lost them. So I had to cancel the order and order a replacement. But I am tired of waiting so I put a rough coat of paint on my eagle. I don't think that it looks too bad. I am also thinking about going around the black border with some red. What do yall think?

UF-SOB-8a.jpg

Looking really good !!!! I like it !!
I don’t know how I missed this thread ???

Looking really good !!!! I like it !!
I don’t know how I missed this thread ???

Thanks, I'm glad that you like it. I had to kill my back painting it on a wooden TV dinner stand. One of these days I'll get my leatherworking bench built.
My new Maker's Mark is working good now that I have an arbor press.

Maker's Mark-8a.jpg

Have you thought anymore as to how your fitting sheath to belt ?

Thanks, I'm glad that you like it. I had to kill my back painting it on a wooden TV dinner stand. One of these days I'll get my leatherworking bench built.
My new Maker's Mark is working good now that I have an arbor press.

View attachment 1513146

I hear you there, I need a better work station myself. After I make a sheath I go hang upside down lol, good stretch :)

The arbor press is also on my list :) Your stamp looks good !!

That looks great :thumbsup: Eagle looks really good !!

This could be an option for belt carry. I did this setup for a CPK DEK. You could possibly arrange the mounting for the carry position your looking for ??
It was just a thought :)
Those belt loop holes are looking good :)
280DCA08-670D-44B1-AEA4-59042F191F46.jpeg 03AA662D-E6D8-4763-A01F-A3097032716B.jpeg 94AD0679-0977-4B87-B16B-5D563A9B9875.jpeg

Nice sheath!
This is mainly a practice sheath since I pretty much decided to collect my UF and not use it much. I want a leather sheath for it anyway.
I like the Kydex sheath that came with it though. I installed an eyelet in it for the FBI cant that I wanted. But the angle is a little off, so I'll add another eyelet beside it and that should be great. I also replaced the rubber spacers with thinner ones so the sheath carries closer to my body. And I changed the screws to some a little longer so they grab more threads in the slotted pass-through posts.
I'll probably make just about every sheath style for my DEK1. It will be my primary EDC. I'm sure my sons will want sheaths for their DEK1's also. It's always nice to have several options.
I'm going to stitch around the belt loop slits. Just been getting sidetracked. I looked at this thread earlier and said, "Crap, it's been that long since I worked on my eagle!". Man, time flies sometimes.

Thank you :)

Practice ??? Pretty darn nice for practice !!! I’d call it proto #1 keeper :)
I didn’t get a kydex sheath my UF. So I made up some leather pants quickly :) lol.
I’m regards to the cant with the sheath. You could even craft up a spacer / washer pad. Maybe to go between or directly attach to the kydex ?
The DEK is a great knife , nothing wrong with multiple sheaths :)

Yes it’s amazing how time flys lol. I do this part time as a hobby. I have to make notes to myself. That way I always know where I left off.

Thank you :)

Practice ??? Pretty darn nice for practice !!! I’d call it proto #1 keeper :)
I didn’t get a kydex sheath my UF. So I made up some leather pants quickly :) lol.
I’m regards to the cant with the sheath. You could even craft up a spacer / washer pad. Maybe to go between or directly attach to the kydex ?
The DEK is a great knife , nothing wrong with multiple sheaths :)

Yes it’s amazing how time flys lol. I do this part time as a hobby. I have to make notes to myself. That way I always know where I left off.

Well I meant practicing painting stuff. This is the first time I tried something like the eagle. I take many photos and try to keep them organized. Sometimes I will also use PowerPoint and embed the notes into the photos. I do that a lot for electronics stuff.
I still need to finish touching up the eagle. I am testing different stuff on it. Like the iris in the eye - I painted it gold, and then overlaid it with copper. Next I will overlay it with some watered down yellow and see how that looks.
The eagle beak is mostly yellow, mixed with a third as much copper, and then a little orange.

Well I meant practicing painting stuff. This is the first time I tried something like the eagle. I take many photos and try to keep them organized. Sometimes I will also use PowerPoint and embed the notes into the photos. I do that a lot for electronics stuff.
I still need to finish touching up the eagle. I am testing different stuff on it. Like the iris in the eye - I painted it gold, and then overlaid it with copper. Next I will overlay it with some watered down yellow and see how that looks.
The eagle beak is mostly yellow, mixed with a third as much copper, and then a little orange.

You know I never even gave the painting part a thought ???? Now I understand fully. That is an art all in its self !!!! Again for practice that paint work looks really good !!!!!!

You know I never even gave the painting part a thought ???? Now I understand fully. That is an art all in its self !!!! Again for practice that paint work looks really good !!!!!!

Thanks. I need to darken the inside of the right side part of the beak behind the tongue. It's too light - it needs to be darker to show more depth. Also I need to clean up the edges more, especially around the eye and beak. And then make the pupil look more round. And I need to add the goldish brown light touches in the feathers. Then I'll water down some red and go around the outside border of the black. i was thinking red anyway - I might change my mind.

Well most of my colors are the basic colors. So I had to mix some colors to try to match the colors, especially the beak. I have what Tandy calls dark pink for the tongue. So I added some copper to darken it more. I just have to mix colors to find the right shade and color that I am looking for. I think that I did really good for the color of the beak. I wasn't sure that I would be able to do it, but it looks pretty authentic I think.

Also, above I said "yellow" to overlay on the iris of the eye. But I should have said yellow/green. I am trying to match the color of the iris like it is in the stencil photo. Hopefully I can get it close. Anyway, it is fun.
I never considered myself much of an artist. I sucked at art in school, except for carving the linoleum blocks. I was pretty good at that.
But maybe I can paint some decent stuff on leather with some stencils and practice.

Back