Need help --> Is the Large Sebenza 21 / Umnumzaan --> Too Big --> Confused

Hi,

I have 3 small Sebenza knives. Two regular and one 21.

I called my local knife store to purchase an Umnumzaan and he said it is really large and he doesn't like it. So I asked about the large Sebbie 21. He said that is much nicer, but still too large. Without going hours away to see the knife in person can you give me advice on the Umnuzaan (new style with logo on stop disk, and new pivot) and the large 21.

If you guys think a large is a good choice do I go with the 21 or Umnumzaan, I can't figure out why to choose one or the other.

P.S. I have Spyderco Paramilitary 2 knives and the CRK don't seem much bigger, but much beefier.

Thanks, Howard

If you think the Para 2 is a good size (handle only), then you will like the size of the large Sebenza and Umnumzaan. They are really close in dimensions handle-wise. The blade length is considerably different with the Seb and the Umnum not only having a longer blade entirely, there is even a bigger discrepency in cutting edge due to the lack of a choil. For those that say the Large Sebenza and Umnumzaan are too big, I say PFFT, the small sebenza is too small:) You would also be surprised by how carryable the CRK knives are. They aren't as beefy as you think, just VERY Solid and confidence inspiring. Perfect in my eyes.

I was also told that the Large 21 may be a bit easier to open since the thumbstud on the Umnumzaan is right up against the scale. Your thoughts?

I have both. The Umnum is easy to open once you figure it out. You dig your thumb behind the thumb stud and pop it out. Otherwise it does open very stiffly if you try and open it like a Seb.

If you spoke to Sean at Edgeworks - just know that he is really into small knives. Great guy and very knowledgeable - just favors the gentlemans folder over the larger knife.

I find the umnumzaan and large sebenza on the small side - I favor a 4" blade and a 5" handle.

I have XL glove size hands - wear a size 13.5 ring - so hope that helps guide you.

Umnumzaan is awesome. Not a huge Sebenza fan. I recommend looking for a an umnumzaan with the older style pivot

OK, so there is an older Zaan in the forum for sale. S30V, no LBS, old pivot. Can I go wrong with that purchase?

I find the Large Seb to be the right size. For me it's easier to open and close one handed and just feels more natural. I prefer the Seb to the Unnum, but both are great and can't go wrong either way.

No, can't go wrong, IMO. Many of my knives each require a sightly different thumb technique. But in my experience, CRKs are not flickers, they are more suited to controlled opening. Keep that if mind in you plump for a zaan or large Seb.

One additional point: in my experience, pre-owned Sebs tend to be "broken in" and not as stiff as new ones.

OK, so there is an older Zaan in the forum for sale. S30V, no LBS, old pivot. Can I go wrong with that purchase?

Last edited:
One thing that maybe you might want to consider to decide between the two is that the Umnum feels narrower in the hand and the sebenza is a little wider. The umnumzaan has slightly thicker titanium and blade stock. Both are great though and highly recommended. Maybe go with the Umnumzaan just so you try a different kind of frame lock since the umnum has a ceramic lock face, otherwise the large sebenza is like the ones you have just bigger.

I see a new style for $330 which seems like a great deal, I dont see the old style S35V

Hi,
Without going hours away to see the knife in person can you give me advice on the Umnuzaan (new style with logo on stop disk, and new pivot) and the large 21.

You don't realize how lucky you are! I'm on an island without a single crk dealer!

The Large Sebenza and Umnumzaan are, in my opinion, just the right size for every day carry. I don't feel under-knifed, I can eat an apple easily and no one seems to scream in fear when I use it.

I had two umnums which I sold but the Sebenza 25 in my pocket is here to stay.

CRK large folders are really the perfect size. Not to big and not to small.
No you can't go wrong picking up the older Zann. Both old and new are great knives. Buy which ever one appeals to you more. You can't go wrong.

xICEMANx --> why the older pivot and not the new pivot?

The only reason people like the old pivot is just for the looks. Personal preference that's all.

For me, I feel the large Sebenza is more comfortable in the hand than my Zaan but I can open the Zaan easier and I love the blade shape compared to the Sebenza.

I still consider the Large and the Umnumzaan still on the small side for a folding knife but all in all, its just about the perfect size to carry.

I have Large Sebenzas, Small Sebenzas, and Mnandis, in my assortment. I have one of each size that I carry depending upon my preference for the day, but I always have my Large Sebenza with me. I have tried to "downsize" to either the Small Sebenza or the Mnandi but I can't seem to get along without my Large Sebenza. I like the blade size, it fits my hand, and it handles any cutting chore I encounter. It just kind of "does it all". I don't have to carry just one knife, but if I did it would be the Large Sebenza, without question. Just my own personal preference......... :)

Back