Need help on deciding on a spyderco please

Looking for one that carries deep in pocket and is light. Only ones I have handled are the pm2 and dragonfly. Pm2 way too big and dragonfly too small. Need something in the middle of the road with decent steel.
Suggestions?

Chaparral, Sage series or a Delica in ZDP-189 would all be contenders.

Excellent choices all. The Sage is thin and light, but surprisingly large in the pocket (it's a huge little knife when it's closed).

A smaller choice than the Sage, but with similar construction to the Sage 2 and a flipper as a bonus would the be Mantra or Mantra 2.

Delica lightweight in color of your choice, clip removed, makes for a very slim and light folder with impressive utility.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for... but from what I've heard you can never go wrong with a spyderco domino.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for... but from what I've heard you can never go wrong with a spyderco domino.

Never might be a strong word. I pre-ordered that knife before it released, and was excited to do so but when I got it in hand I wanted to kill it with fire. I worked at trying to like it, but all I managed to do was work my hate down to just dislike, so I sold it.

It may not be compatible with everyone . . .

FFG Delica in VG-10.

I'm not a Spyderco guy... at all... but I'd say the FFG Delica in VG-10 might just be the perfect EDC folder available today.

VG-10 because it takes a very sharp edge, takes it with little to no effort, and holds it for a good while. And Spyderco's VG-10 is phenomenal.

I like ZDP-189 just fine and all, but I prefer the VG-10 in a knife this size. You simply aren't using it hard enough to need the ZDP stuff in my book.

If you want the perfect model that ISN'T available today, get a Spyderco Jess Horn. Simply a thing of beauty.

Never might be a strong word. I pre-ordered that knife before it released, and was excited to do so but when I got it in hand I wanted to kill it with fire. I worked at trying to like it, but all I managed to do was work my hate down to just dislike, so I sold it.

It may not be compatible with everyone . . .

I bought a Domino cause it looked awesome... hated it, sold it. Maybe a year later I thought I must've been wrong... hated it, sold it, again.

Delica, Sage 5
Spyderco-Delica-4-Green-ZDP-189-C11PGRE-BHQ-7746-jr-thumb.jpg
spyderco-sage-5-cf-c123cfpcl-BHQ-36444-dl-thumb.jpg

Native 5, Para3 aka PM3
spyderco-c41pbk5-native-5-satin-jm-thumb.jpg
Spyderco-Para-3-black-C223GP-BHQ-50648-er-thumb.jpg

Delica in ZDP-189 is my main EDC

I bought a Domino cause it looked awesome... hated it, sold it. Maybe a year later I thought I must've been wrong... hated it, sold it, again.

It was a strange experience all around for me. People complained about the Cosby-sweater CF, but I really liked that. It flipped as well as any flipper I've bought, and I've owned dozens of flippers. It rode pretty far out of the pocket when clipped, though, and it was bulky for the amount of blade it carried. The thing that killed it for me, though, was the whole "this is like a folding spatula" or something vibe I got from that short but very tall blade shape. I'm okay with tall blade shapes (like the knife I'm carrying today, the CKF Ratata, but when it's that short it just gives it an exaggerated weird un-knifey-ness that disturbed me.

The bizarre thing is that I've had to stop myself from buying another one cheap from the exchange two or three times. I have no idea why I'd do that, but I've felt compelled to. I mean, I hated the thing and sold it quickly, I can't go buying another just because I liked the Cosby-sweater CF, it would still just sit in a drawer, yet I've almost done it.

I'll vote for the Sage 5. I own one and I absolutely love it. My only complaint is it's almost too pretty to use. Don't get me wrong, I guarantee it'd be a great user for normal EDC tasks, I just can't bring myself to abuse it like my PM2 or Griptilian. I bought mine because I was looking for a smaller knife that fit well in my pocket for riding my KLR.

It's a great knife. In my opinion it's about thee best size for EDC needs and the full flat ground blade is a beast at slicing. Spyderco really knocked this one out of the park. Having a compression lock is just the cherry on top.
tBwNZQ5.jpg

None of them, I think Spydercos are ugly :thumbdn:

Great 10th post. I think a lot of knives are ugly, even some spydercos, but I don't go out of my way to say so unless the thread is about the looks of a particular knife.

It seems to me that if the PM2 is too big then the Para3 might work.

Delica, Delica, Delica

PM3 is an option, but the handle size is about the same as the PM2, only with a shorter blade

Back