need help with beck wsk tops tracker the hunted knife !size materials measurements!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi again guys i want a beck wsk but i dont have $500 so figured id make my own version with a mix of my favorite qualitys from each version of tom browns design, any pics materials list measurements anything that could help with the design and fabrication of a knife closer to a wsk :eek: than a tops :) or jenslite :grumpy: , or paratraxx :barf: thanks for any help you guys can give. also what is the material that he makes his OD handles out of it looks like paper micarta or plastic? i hate the looks of that linen micarta with the silver black wood look :barf: :barf: :barf: looks horrible on the tops?

I have a Becks version. He uses 1/4" Starrett 0-1 steel. Not sure of the mesurements. Try looking around for a good side image to blow up and trace.
The handle material I have on mine is black linen micarta. The OD/Black option Dave used to have was also linen micarta. I think that the Tops version has the micarta sanded to a low grit and Dave polishes his. Same materials though.

The Tracker, as per the Beck version:

The OAL length is 12 1/2 inches. The entire blade, including ricasso, is 6 1/2 inches. The hatchet blade (the most forward edge) is 3 3/4 inches. The knife edge, including the hook portion, is 2 1/2 inches. The hook portion is a 1/2 inch radius, leaving a straight knife edge of 2 inches. The ricasso is 1/4 inch. The tang, from end to beginning of ricasso, is 6 inches.

Maximum blade width is 2 1/2 inches. Maximum spine thickness is 1/4 inch.

The above is what I determined by researching the same question you have and from great help from others here. The above is the dimensions I used to recently grind one and it worked out well using those measurements. I ground all my blade bevels about 7/8 inch wide.

RL

Well, I haven't posted pix of unfinished knives before but since you ask I'll shoot a pix of the pre-heat treated blade. I have not cut the teeth yet and do not expect to do that until tomorrow or the following day.

I rolled the belt over the flat platen to grind the hook and then finished by hand using a file. The hook is a real trick to do, for me at least.

I'll shoot a pix and post it here in a little while (a couple hours) .

RL

These are preheat treat, prefinal grinding, and the teeth have not yet been cut. It is O1.

m_tracker1.jpg

m_tracker2.jpg

rlinger said:
These are preheat treat, prefinal grinding, and the teeth have not yet been cut. It is O1.

m_tracker1.jpg

m_tracker2.jpg
WOW how much would u charge for a 1095 version of just that blade in the rough without a handle? cause i really like it maybe u could send a me a scale drawing? i got the blade drawn but im having trouble getting the handle just right and i like the way you did it!

Roger,
It's looking good, I cant wait to get it in my greedy hands.

Ron

Well Rodger, I hate the design but sure have to admire the craftsmanship. Nice job on a difficult piece to grind ! ;)

love the blade,,,very nice work, though wondering, why somany pin holes, or are some just to lighten the blade some and will be hidden under the scales?,,,i dont quite know how to post pics yet as im a new member so ill post a link to see me working on a tracker of my own,,,let me know what you thing,,,its a start to finish type series of a damascus tracker with a blade forged and folded of 1095 and 15n20 steel with buffalo horn scales and nickel silver pins,,,here is the url http://thebuddhasforge.teach-nology.com/
check out the birth of a blade pages to see,,dont expect a fancy setup though as i prefer working a bit on the primitive side and out in the open,,,my leather work leaves a lot to be desired as i normally carve my cases from wood,,,let me know what you think of the knife,,or email me at yingzhaoquan@aol.com
if you have any questions
Steven

That's a pretty nice site Steven and I like the way the knife was forged. If you are really interested in being authentic though....forge it over a campfire :D :footinmou :eek: sorry.....anyway, it was a nicely forged blade!

Dang Roger! That is some amazing grinding, you are doubtless the Man. I'm jealous again... :D

ddavelarsen said:
Dang Roger! That is some amazing grinding, you are doubtless the Man. I'm jealous again... :D
Make that TWO of us, Roger. No reflection on the gunstock work you used to do, But I'm sure glad you switched to knife making for a living, Roger. Doing gunstock work is too time comsuming and has a small return in profits, for what people want to pay, as we both know first hand. Your work shows the degree of perfection and skills you express. Hey, I like your pictures, too!

thanks,,,i actually have a charcoal forge too, but its not the cheapest way to go sometimes,,,i reserve that for special blades like most my asian weapons and those which ive made the steel myself),,,for the rest i use a gas forge which is cheap to run and easy to maintain,,,a little clay wash on the surfaces of the steel helps preventing the extra carbon loss from the gas forge too so i dont worry somuch about it becoming unhardenable in the higher layer counts,,,i used to do things with fancier setups but kept finding myself going back to my roots, so thats where ive stayed,,,most my grinding is done with files and stones though i do have a belt sander for working with handles,,,im currently working on a set of bat cham dao (butterfly swords) for a wing chun stylist,,ill have to post pics for you all to see

Steven

Thanks all for the nice comments. Buddhaforge, three tang holes are for pins, one is for the thong tube. All others are pass through ports for bonding material.

Got the saw teeth cut today. Very time consuming. Here are some pix of the teeth:

m_tracker4.jpg

m_tracker3.jpg

m_tracker5.jpg

Amazing, simply amazing, I guess I better get ready to sent the final payment ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back