Need some help

So I've done some extra work lately and am about to be paid for it. In addition to paying off some debt and saving some, I want to get a custom. My first custom, as it were. I'd like to get a Fiddleback. I've decided convex and an amazing handle are what I need. My problem is that I can't decide between the Ladyfinger and the Woodsman.

I want a knife for general woods use. I'm not looking for a chopper. I'm looking for a bushcraft knife. I like the style of the Ladyfinger and Woodsman. Uses would be general cutting. Firebuilding. Traps. Food prep. Not much skinning.

Which would you choose and why?:confused:
Which do you have? Maybe both? If so, which is your favorite.

I like the bushcrafter as well. Almost like a Kephart. Would that be more well-rounded? I'm lost. I'd say the Woodsman hands down, but I've never played with a blade bigger than appx. 4 in that wasn't a chopper.

Maybe I should get two...:eek:

I do not own either of those Fiddlebacks, but I do have the Hunter and the Bushcrafter. A review I did of the Hunter can be seen here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639379&highlight=Fiddleback+Hunter

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these four blades, but I'm particularly partial to the Hunter. I think it is just an all around awesome knife. I haven't had the opportunity to use the Bushcrafter much yet, but can see how it would excel at all things bushcrafty. I'm hoping to do a similar review of that model this weekend. The Ladyfinger might be a little on the slender/light side for extended bushcraft use, but the other three should be bulletproof.

The answer as always is 'it depends"
I have not held a Ladyfinger so I can only comment on the Woodsman.
The Woodsman is almost the perfect size for me.
I use a bushcraft knife mostly for fire prep and for food prep.
If you are going to do a lot of fine work or clean a lot of fish then a shorter knife might suit you better.
In this case since I like a more substantial handle, I would probably go with the Bushcrafter rather than the Ladyfinger.
OTOH if I were backpacking and wanted a lighter knife that could do most any job, then I would get the Ladyfinger.
I like the extra length for batoning and food prep.
In the end, you can't go wrong with a Fiddleback. Get the one that calls to you.
Just my
2cents.gif

I have both.:) So thats my recommendation:thumbup::cool:

But if there can be only 1.

The Woodsman has a biger and wider handle making for more comfort in a multitude of grips.
It also gives you a wider and longer blade. I think my Woodsman as a Campknife. It will handle all outdoor activities as well as dominate in the camp kitchen.

The Lady finger is Bird & Trout knife. It feels more delicate in the hand. It excells at finer tasks IMO.

I will get you side by side comparison pics when I get home from work.:thumbup:

I would definitely recomend the Woodsman. That is the closest thing to a good bushcrafty/camp knife having sex with a great custom chef's knife. Any time food prep is a factor, I like to use a knife with a more traditional buchter knife blade shape and a good length of blade fore long cuts, "roll" chopping, and slices.

This my kinda delima. And lookey here, you found wisdom while you typed your post.

Maybe I should get two...:eek:

If you need something light to hike with and do small cutting tasks, then get the Ladyfinger. The Woodsman is designed to be ajile for its size, so don't be afraid by its size.:thumbup:

I only have the Bushcrafter for now. I think it is a very useful size for hiking and camping use. You metioned it as almost Kephart like, I agree with this as the shape is very similar.

As an all around knife this would be my first choice. It is strong enough to be battoned, cuts great and is small enough to carry effortlessly.

This my kinda delima. And lookey here, you found wisdom while you typed your post.

Just happens to be a signup for both too :thumbup:

Tonym, comparison shots would be great.

I do most of my skinning and fish prep with a folder for some reason, even though I always have some kind of fixed blade with me when I'm out. Probably because my grandfather always used one for those jobs.

Its just a pia to clean folders good after doing messy chores with them...

Its about having the right tool for the job!;)

Get the Ladyfinger to clean trout and birds.:thumbup:

Get the Hunter model for gutting large game:thumbup:

Get the Nessmuk for skinning game.:thumbup:

Get the Woodsman for quartering game or heavy camp duty.:thumbup:

Get the Bushcrafter for bushcraft stuff.:thumbup:

am I missing something:confused:

Oh yeah. The EDC is a must have for everything else.:)

Andy, you know where to send my commission check right;)

Right, so I can send my 1st born to Andy and my 2nd born to Tony...I think that will settle me up...:D

Don't forget Tallfuchre:eek:, you need a sheath right.

He can make you a sheath to carry all those, like one of those big pens with 6 diiferent colors of ink...:D

The only thing about using a folder for food prep is that the joints are an ideal spot for bacteria to flourish. But that said, I always carry a folder, and use it for almost everything.

Both of these knives would excel at food prep. But the Woodsman has more of a chef's knife kinda weight for chopping carrots and such.

I wonder if Talfuchre could make a piggyback sheath for the two of them and give a horizontal carry at a slight angle option as well.

Sounds like I've already made a decision and now we're working on specifics. Should this be handled on a place other than the forum?

I'm a "big knife" kind of guy. I find the Woodsman to be the perfect blend of heft and balance to do just about every chore I need of a camp knife. I've never handled a knife that felt so right in my hand.

I haven't been able to use it hard yet, but it has done a number on tomatoes, asparagus, and carrots in the kitchen this week:D If the stars align correctly, I plan on taking an overnight trip next weekend to do a little chopping with my new HI Bancharo and a some full on camp prep with my Woodsman. Actually, the Bancharo is just for fun. I know what it'll do. I'm really excited about taking my Woodsman out for a spin;)

I know I just got the Woodsman, but I seriously think that I could do just about every hiking chore needed with it. It's a classic already.:thumbup:

Sounds like I've already made a decision and now we're working on specifics. Should this be handled on a place other than the forum?

No. Handle it here if you'd like. You guys can really stretch your legs here. I'm easy.:thumbup:

If you're going to do run knives, just sign up in those threads. You can start a thread here to discuss things with Tal, or just PM him. I'm cool with it being open here.

Here's the pics I promissed.

I think they would look great combo'd!

I wonder if Talfuchre could make a piggyback sheath for the two of them and give a horizontal carry at a slight angle option as well.

Oh man - this sounds tough. I have never done it.

If you have patience with me and can put up with a little anxiety - I am ON it.

TF

I'm down if you and Andy are. You guys are a bunch of enablers...I love this forum :thumbup:

My email is darteres {at} gmail {dot} com.

Andy, should I sign up on the two applicable knife run threads?

Back