Need to get your Schrade knife fixed?

lrv

Found this on www.schradeknives.com tonight. Not sure if its been posted here before but you will also get a "free" knife by registering on the site.
TTYL
Larry

"Taylor Brands LLC did not purchase any inventory or repair parts. Due to the legalities surrounding the closure of Imperial Schrade we are unable to honor any warranties on their products. The whereabouts of knives returned to Imperial Schrade in Ellenville, NY for repair are unknown. Certificates on lost or stolen knives cannot be honored.

In an effort to help customers with repair issues, Colonial Knife Company has informed us that they have the parts to repair knives that were manufactured by Imperial Schrade, but are no longer covered under any of their implied warranties as outlined in the above statement. They can be reached at (401) 737-0024 or go to their website at www.colonialknifecompany.com
. Please note that there will be a service fee for repairs. "

Found it and did it. Wonder if I will get a nifty custom jigged bone slipjoint in the mail in a few days. We'll see.

Codger

I contacted Colonial a few weeks ago about a catalog. I also registered. I got the catalog. Actually flyers in a folder. Emailed them asking about where the knives are made. Recieved a nice email from Steve Paolentonio stating that some were made in China and others were made in the U.S. of American and Chinese parts. And some were made in China of American and Chinese parts. He also stated that all American Knife Companies did this. Which is news to me. :confused: I gave Mr. Paolentonio my, probably unwanted, opinion about Chinese made knives. I tried to be polite about it as his email was very polite. I decided not to purchase a knife from them though. I have not, as of this date, recieved the free knife for registering. To be honest, I'm not sure my registration went through.

James

edited to correct Mr. Paolentonio's first name. Sorry Steve.

From their website (the one proudly displaying the American flag and the logo " The Knives That Help Build America":

TO RECEIVE A FREE KNIFE, go to Contact us, fill out THE NECESSARY INFORMATION, YOUR FREE KNIFE WILL BE SHIPPED WITHIN 24 HOURS.Colonial knife, a division of CCI, Inc. has been manufacturing American made pocket and sport knives for nearly half a century in Providence Rhode Island.

I signed up for the free knife too. Worst case, a new addition to the shoebox that every collector seems to have.

-Bob

I'm interested in hearing about the free knife you guys have coming. When and if they come in, I think a review is in order. It could be very educational to see what is coming out of Colonial these days.

OTguy said:
I'm interested in hearing about the free knife you guys have coming. When and if they come in, I think a review is in order. It could be very educational to see what is coming out of Colonial these days.

I think you need to pounce on this one too OTguy! Just imagine how you will feel when/if we display serialed special edition engraved gold plated etched damascus trappers! ;)

Thanks for the link Larry....
I registered as well, although I don't know if it went through, either, as I was never redirected from the blank page that said "Done" in the lower corner. :confused:
Guess I'll wait and see if I get a cool traditional, or maybe "THE BOWIE KNIFE"......Oh wait, LT has that sewn up already, I think.
Probably more likely to get one like this...

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Brand&Brand=28&A=&SKU=MI2101

But what the heck, it's seems like a nice gesture to capture some Schrade lovers' attention.

Bill

I had the same "done" message at the bottom of a blank page after registering. I guess we'll eventually find out.

-Bob

Codger,

I think our own schradewebguy should give them a couple of pointers.

Im just a hacker compared to these professionals.

TTYL
Larry

Codger_64 said:
I think you need to pounce on this one too OTguy! Just imagine how you will feel when/if we display serialed special edition engraved gold plated etched damascus trappers! ;)

If they are giving knives like this out for free then they're days are numbered too. Besides, when did Colonial ever make a knife like this? Still a free knife is a free knife and I'll take a look, I never say no when the price is right.

I don't know, but I have always found that anything I got for free. In the long run. Usually cost more than it was worth. I believe I will pass. LT

I revieved a free knife from them, it's the small 3" lockback that is in thier catalog. Overall the fit and finish is not bad, alot better than some of the stuff the company use to make. I am not going to say thier knives are "schrade" like or "case" but they are definalty better than any of the china ones you see in some hardware stores and gas stations. The american made knives are quite good, came hair popin sharp and the blade stamp says 440 (as to wether that is A or C I don't know), holds the edge pretty well. The spring is a little to be desired but for a free knife I can't complain.

After I play with this for a week or so I will let you guys know more about it's progress.

David,
About how long did you wait to receive the knife.
Did they send a catalog with it?
Thanks
Larry

Yes the catalog came with it and I recieved it about 8 days after being shipped according to the stamped date. I would say a week and a half in all. Not exactly what I call speedy. But hey I am willing to support and help any american knife company in it's endeavors. When I see all this made in china stuff it gets me seeing red so to speak and colonial has been around a long time, and this looks to me that this is round 2 for colonial and they are definalty taking the time and the money to make good knives, I hope to be able to check out thier bone handled trapper among some of thier other knives.

Got this as a reply to what Colonial will do for us.

-------------------------
Colonial Knife a division of CCI, Inc. USA a world leader in pocket and sport knives will repair your Schrade knife for the fee of $20.00 per knife. $5.00 covers the cost to return your knife and $15.00 covers the cost of the service work. For example, two knives will cost $40.00. Colonial Knife is NOT Schrade and we are only offering this service to help those that have been hurt by the Schrade company going out of business. The average time required to repair and clean a knife is approximately 2 hours. If we can't repair your knife we will clean it and return it to you along with a replacement of equal value manufactured by Colonial. Knives received with a cashiers check or money order will be worked on first, knives sent with a personal check will be put on hold until the personal check clears our bank.
We thank you for this opportunity to serve you.
Colonial Knife
Stevep780@aol.com
-------------------------

TTYL
Larry

Sounds like a blatant attempt to get Schrade customers to move to their brand. It's a novel idea and I hope it works out for them. I'd rather see everyday buyes switch to other U.S. brands than to Frost/United/Taylor crap.

It's not going to work however, unless Colonial's quality is at least equal to Schrade's OldTimer/UH lines.

-Bob

DavidBinVT,

What is the quality of the free knife Colonial sent you?

Never mind, I reread your post.
DavidBinVT:
Overall the fit and finish is not bad, alot better than some of the stuff the company use to make. I am not going to say thier knives are "schrade" like or "case" but they are definalty better than any of the china ones you see in some hardware stores and gas stations. The american made knives are quite good, came hair popin sharp and the blade stamp says 440 (as to wether that is A or C I don't know), holds the edge pretty well. The spring is a little to be desired but for a free knife I can't complain.

James

edited after I reread DavidBinVT's post.

Back