• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Need your advice about a sale dispute

hey guys this is the first time this ever happened to me so I kind of don’t know what to do. I’m not going to say who or say which knife so don’t ask. I recently sold a knife on the exchange and the buyer received the knife yesterday. That’s that. The issue is when I sold the knife it was in perfect working order and condition no lockstick or rock or anything.
So I get a messege from the buyer saying that he wants a refund because the knife has lockstick 9 out of 10 times. Says there’s also bad lock engagement to where it’s dangerous to use the knife and last bad knife bevel grind which I guess it could happen. To me it looked ok but different people want different things. I like to add I’ve had the knife for about a year and used it very little and had none of those issues ever. Could the buyer be having purchasers regret? Or maybe did he disassemble the knife and is now messed up? Or did it magically develope those problems over the 3 days while it was in transit?
Let me know your thoughts, not sure what to do because I absolutely described the knife accurately and honestly as possible. It was a perfect example of a knife.
Thanks y’all.

He'll send back the knife, for that refund, right? If so, you might want to do that, as your reputation's worth more than that, I believe. Well, unless it's an incredibly expensive knife (take this comment with a grain of salt) - but still... Plus, if paid via PayPal, G&S, I'm thinking he could file a dispute, saying that the knife is not as described.

Best to get the knife back, and resell it; and it's the path of least resistance, in my opinion. Plus, it would put the issue to bed, hopefully, whereby, you could move forward - instead of wasting brain-power, on this issue.

Now, emotionally, I'd be inclined to tell the guy to go get stuffed. But, best to follow logic, when it comes to business - again, just my opinion. I know, given the fact that we're just humans, it's hard not to get pissy, when somebody's taking advantage, of our goodwill!

These are just my thoughts, for what it's worth. Other folks, that have dealt, with what you're dealing with, might have more cogent advice.

Good luck, and please let us know, how it turns out!

That he contacted you so quickly, doesn't really give him much time to have done much to it, but ultimately, a deal is not done until both parties are happy. Have him send it back, and then refund his money AFTER you have it back.

99 out of 10 times when this happens the best thing to do is unwind the sale.

Because the sale never happened you can't give the buyer any type of feedback.

If you feel the buyer's opinion is unfounded; or they're just a tire kicker feel free to name them here.

The buyer should pay the shipping to return the knife.

I had something similar happen (buyer dissatisfaction). I sell only ONE product--NEW. It comes in 2 versions. After receiving what she ordered, the buyer tried to rip me new one, insulted me and my product when SHE was the one who ordered the wrong version (proved by the PayPal receipt). She never considered the possibility that she was incorrect.

I immediately accepted the return (that she paid to return and which arrived damaged), refunded the money and am glad I did.

It's difficult to deal with difficult people (esp. people you don't know, long distance, etc.).

99 out of 10 times when this happens the best thing to do is unwind the sale.

Because the sale never happened you can't give the buyer any type of feedback.

If you feel the buyer's opinion is unfounded; or they're just a tire kicker feel free to name them here.

The buyer should pay the shipping to return the knife.
I agree that the buyer should pay return shipping. Make sure to inspect the knife, before the refund. Check for any alterations, or perhaps swapped parts.

I give refunds no good reason needed. I just move on and sell it again. It doesn't come up enough to be a major problem. The only ? is if I feel I may be at fault I pay the return, otherwise they do. If he paid G&S he can file a claim and you likely will be getting it back anyway. Refund is not made until knife is returned in same condition it left. Buyer regret or overly picky-hard to say. You may want to take a look at his or her rep, and posts to give you an idea of what sort of person you are dealing with(if you didn't already). If this is a pattern of behavior by the individual calling them out would be appropriate.

Yep, have them send it back and refund the $s when it is done. Some of these things will be personal likes/dislikes/understanding of and issue, you were happy with the knife and he was not, it's a danger buying/selling person to person but it is best now just to unwind it and not get into a your thoughts vs his thoughts.

Thanks everyone, usually I would just accept the refund but I already spent that money so we discussed it and in the end we settled on a partial refund. Luckily the guy was easy going and reasonable. I’m Not going to disclose the amount but i gave him enough for him to send it in for repair if he likes plus a little extra. So In the end he got some money back and he’s keeping the knife. Also FYI it’s not the dao.

Last edited:
I never had this problem but now I feel like I should always keep the money in PayPal until I know they received the knife and is happy with it. Imagine if it was for like 800$ which I had already spent. That’s a lot of money to me. Being a knife junkie it’s hard to not buy anything when there’s knife money sitting in paypal.

100% buyers remorse. I sold a small Sebenza in perfect condition. The guy got it, said it had lock stick. Refunded the money when I got the knife back to ensure it was in the same condition as when I sent it. It was, not even a hint of lock stick. Gave him a full refund.
It’s a good practice to hold funds until the buyer is happy with the deal. I usually wait a few days beyond the “I’m happy with the knife” email. For me, it’s all or nothing. I don’t believe in a partial refund.

I always keep the money in PayPal until I think the buyer is satisfied. I usually ask them to let me know when the item arrives and that they are happy at the time I send them tracking info. Less than 25% of the time do I hear anything at all, so I wait a couple of days after I know the item was delivered then I feel fairly safe spending or moving the money in PayPal.

Back when I was buying, trading and selling regularly I had two instances of guys wanting a partial refund. One was a scratched blade I had shown and described in the listing, the other a vintage watch sent to Europe. I told both to return for full refund or keep it. Both decided to keep with no refund. I am a bit more of a skeptic than some and figured they were just finagling for some money back.

Name the guy so I can put him on my ignore list. I don't want to get ripped off if for some reason he does this often.

I have to ask a question here. Since when is lock stick a bad thing? I look for knives that have it. Just shows great fit imho. Extremely easy to alleviate the stick if ya have half a brain and a modicum of skill to do so. Me I like it and just proves to me that the knife will wear in like I want it to. Just my opinion on it though.

I have to ask a question here. Since when is lock stick a bad thing? I look for knives that have it. Just shows great fit imho. Extremely easy to alleviate the stick if ya have half a brain and a modicum of skill to do so. Me I like it and just proves to me that the knife will wear in like I want it to. Just my opinion on it though.
A bit of stick would be okay but if you have to twist it with both hands or smack it with a hammer to break it loose it's not so good. :eek:

Back